Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks for all the input. I got Celtic salt and Truffle salt (France, mined). They seem different enough from one another. The store had another French salt with a weird name that was more coarse, might go back and try that, just wasn't sure if it was too similar to Celtic salt that it'd be redundant. $8 for 3-oz bottles of salt is a bit much, they're lucky they caught me during my new salt-enthusiast phase. I still have about 12 bottles of hot sauce from a couple years ago during my hot sauce phase and I've been slowly trying to use all of those up. Some of them are pretty damn good. If anyone has a hot sauce interest and wants to see the collection let me know, I'll line them up by heat and give recommendations.
i think for most ppl salt is about seafood, as in if you visited or came from france/greece all the seafood doesn't taste right without that regions salt as well.

America really doesn't have this, as most of our salt is mined or produced anyway aside from hawaii theres volcanic black and red/clay salt, maybe Xarpolis Xarpolis has seen some of this on sale.

basically any place that is known for good seafood, you'll find its also tied to their regional salt.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
When we switched producing Amoroso rolls from the philly plant to the NJ plant, Amoroso added salt to the recipe because the flavor was off due to the difference in water. Not sure how legit it was though

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I tried some more of the truffle salt from France. It...has a weirdly foot-like taste that I've noticed. It's slight, and almost unnoticeable. I've licked enough women's feet to know that taste though. Not sure if this is normal. Maybe the salt was mined by barefoot, sweaty French people. The taste is also similar to one of the German cheeses I've had which was made by people walking on it until it tenderized or something.

Anyway, I'll report back on the Celtic salt and the other French mystery salt the store had, soon.

• 2Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I tried some more of the truffle salt from France. It...has a weirdly foot-like taste that I've noticed. It's slight, and almost unnoticeable. I've licked enough women's feet to know that taste though. Not sure if this is normal. Maybe the salt was mined by barefoot, sweaty French people. The taste is also similar to one of the German cheeses I've had which was made by people walking on it until it tenderized or something.

Anyway, I'll report back on the Celtic salt and the other French mystery salt the store had, soon.
i mean truffle salts fall into the realm of "produced salts"

like where they smoke the salt or infuse it with charcoal

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Thanks for all the input. I got Celtic salt and Truffle salt (France, mined). They seem different enough from one another. The store had another French salt with a weird name that was more coarse, might go back and try that, just wasn't sure if it was too similar to Celtic salt that it'd be redundant. $8 for 3-oz bottles of salt is a bit much, they're lucky they caught me during my new salt-enthusiast phase. I still have about 12 bottles of hot sauce from a couple years ago during my hot sauce phase and I've been slowly trying to use all of those up. Some of them are pretty damn good. If anyone has a hot sauce interest and wants to see the collection let me know, I'll line them up by heat and give recommendations.
Fleur de Sel?

(don't buy it there, it's just the first link I found)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Fleur de Sel?

(don't buy it there, it's just the first link I found)

Yeah, how'd you know? Fleur de Sel is the other French one, not the one that smells vaguely like feet.

Fleur de Sel is alright, not much different from Himalayan. Seems like the main difference between all of these is the texture, as was pointed out by someone earlier.

Only one left to try is Celtic salt which I'll break out tomorrow.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, salt is salt, NACL, anything other than that is minerals added which might add a hint of flavor but in the amounts of salt you use per meal/dish...etc... It not likely.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
LOL, salt is salt, NACL, anything other than that is minerals added which might add a hint of flavor but in the amounts of salt you use per meal/dish...etc... It not likely.
yea it's the minerals that give it a "taste"

just like some ppl have issues with water that is too pure like reverse osmosis, b/c it literally removes everything, there is a post filter you attach that lets the filtered water run through minerals to give it "taste"

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm calling bullshit on the taste of fancy salt. Show me someone picking it out in a blind taste test of food cooked with different colors of salt and maybe I'll buy that it's different. My money is on it just being another way to sell that the food is special and exclusive to justify charging more for it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm calling bullshit on the taste of fancy salt. Show me someone picking it out in a blind taste test of food cooked with different colors of salt and maybe I'll buy that it's different. My money is on it just being another way to sell that the food is special and exclusive to justify charging more for it.
i'm not gonna defend the fufu benefits of a salt lamp
73036351f2187e891be05cd7bc8a4066.png

but there is at least a difference in taste between salts

it's a different type of twang on you tongue

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i'm not gonna defend the fufu benefits of a salt lamp
73036351f2187e891be05cd7bc8a4066.png

but there is at least a difference in taste between salts

it's a different type of twang on you tongue

What are the benefits of a salt lamp? I found one, missing the base. Was thinking of getting a base for it so it's actually usable as, ya know, a lamp. It looks kind of cool I guess. I'm equally likely to just give it away though.

Edit: In other salt news, I spent $30 on salt in the last two weeks. What the hell

• 1Picard

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What are the benefits of a salt lamp? I found one, missing the base. Was thinking of getting a base for it so it's actually usable as, ya know, a lamp. It looks kind of cool I guess. I'm equally likely to just give it away though.

Edit: In other salt news, I spent $30 on salt in the last two weeks. What the hell
i have no idea on the benefits of the salt lamp, i'm sure it's all fufu

sounds like you need a salt grinder heh, took me 3returns before i found one i liked

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i have no idea on the benefits of the salt lamp, i'm sure it's all fufu

sounds like you need a salt grinder heh, took me 3returns before i found one i liked

Yeah, I'll post a picture of my new salt collection some time soon. At least I won't need to buy salt again until 2025.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

While I agree with you, there are people who can tell the difference. This is more interesting than you'd think.

• 2Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Fucking salt hipsters

Next thing you know, people will be saying that there's different flavors of soy sauce, and that you aren't supposed to drown white rice with it.