mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Isnt it uncle bens?

heart spiderman GIF

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
lol more bullshit gadgets you dont need.

Measure rice, put in pot, rinse 3 times until almost clear water, then drain by hand, add bit oil/butter, measured water, cook on low heat for 30 min. Perfect fucking rice every time.
Cooking rice in butter for an asian dish? The fuck is wrong with you?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'll keep outta this white rice debate, to avoid spam...

but ya'll white ppl is wrong, when i found out this was not a joke and you white ppl actually open soy sauce packets and squirt it on the rice
5j1sua.jpg

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't eat white rice anyway, lived next to puerto ricans too long so its fried rice or rice and beans or bust

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What's the best salt I can get for meat? I don't mind spending some money if it's really good.

I've gotten in the habit of cooking ribeyes lately, and every time is better than the previous time because I keep refining my technique. Of course, I don't need any sauce, just salt and sometimes pepper. Which brings up the weak link in all of this: I feel like my salt could be better. Iodized salt, while healthy (I think?), just doesn't cut it. I've got Mediterranean Sea Salt that's significantly better, but I'm almost out of it which is why I'm looking for something new. I've also got a Himalayan Pink Salt grinder that is pretty freaking good and I haven't really used much of it yet, so maybe I'll default to that once the Mediterranean is used up. However, if anyone has a suggestion for some insanely good salt, let me know. I was at a steakhouse once (Nusr-Et) that had the best salt I've ever tasted, so I know better salt exists.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I use coarse kosher. I'm sure there are fancier things but I keep like 3 boxes of salt. Himilayan and that kind of stuff is good in small amounts for the minerals.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
insanely good salt

I don't think there's "insanely good" salt. The differences in flavor have more to do with the size and shape of the grains than where it came from. All salt came from the ocean originally and the color differences have to do with minerals and impurities in it but when it comes down to it it's just NaCl.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's the best salt I can get for meat? I don't mind spending some money if it's really good.

I've gotten in the habit of cooking ribeyes lately, and every time is better than the previous time because I keep refining my technique. Of course, I don't need any sauce, just salt and sometimes pepper. Which brings up the weak link in all of this: I feel like my salt could be better. Iodized salt, while healthy (I think?), just doesn't cut it. I've got Mediterranean Sea Salt that's significantly better, but I'm almost out of it which is why I'm looking for something new. I've also got a Himalayan Pink Salt grinder that is pretty freaking good and I haven't really used much of it yet, so maybe I'll default to that once the Mediterranean is used up. However, if anyone has a suggestion for some insanely good salt, let me know. I was at a steakhouse once (Nusr-Et) that had the best salt I've ever tasted, so I know better salt exists.
if youre looking for more variety of salt, i would hold himalayan as a new standard for you and try

celtic salt, which is dried sea salt, but it's from the coast of france and ppl love it and

kalas salt(brand), which is greece salt

maldon(brand), uk salt

these will most affect taste b/c of the trace minerals you get specific to that region.

also this commercial for shea butter

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
When it comes to salt, I usually have 3-4ish on hand, Iodized salt or a fine kosher for baking, a coarse kosher for seasoning, and a flakey salt for finishing, of which I currently have a regular and a maldon smoked someone got me a gift.

People can debate how much they can taste the slight minerality differences in various salts, but the textures are far more important.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My in-laws lived in Brazil during the 60's and 70's, there's some kind of rock salt they have family send up to us every once in a while. From what I understand it's on the pricy side so we pretty much just use it for nicer steaks along with fresh coarse ground pepper.

Other than that, pink 'Himalayan' salt for finishing, iodized table salt for everything else.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My in-laws lived in Brazil during the 60's and 70's, there's some kind of rock salt they have family send up to us every once in a while. From what I understand it's on the pricy side so we pretty much just use it for nicer steaks along with fresh coarse ground pepper.

Other than that, pink 'Himalayan' salt for finishing, iodized table salt for everything else.
i would at least emplore you to buy a salt grinder and make your own table salt cuz all table salt has an anti caking agent and sugar(dextrose)
salt.jpg

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
i would at least emplore you to buy a salt grinder and make your own table salt cuz all table salt has an anti caking agent and sugar(dextrose)
salt.jpg
It’s actually pretty rare we use the table salt, seasoning is all done with the Himalayan via grinder

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for all the input. I got Celtic salt and Truffle salt (France, mined). They seem different enough from one another. The store had another French salt with a weird name that was more coarse, might go back and try that, just wasn't sure if it was too similar to Celtic salt that it'd be redundant. $8 for 3-oz bottles of salt is a bit much, they're lucky they caught me during my new salt-enthusiast phase. I still have about 12 bottles of hot sauce from a couple years ago during my hot sauce phase and I've been slowly trying to use all of those up. Some of them are pretty damn good. If anyone has a hot sauce interest and wants to see the collection let me know, I'll line them up by heat and give recommendations.

• 1Like