Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
are we still on salt? so i read the franklin bbq books and really says s&p and paprika for color

i don't bother trimmer the brisket at all, why? imo trimming the brisket is just for competition and fat gives it flavor, what i do, do is scrape the fat off with flat edge of my knife and i freeze the fat.

um do i use the fat for cooking or tallow or what? it's just frozen atm so ya'll can tell me what you do with it, a whole brisket really is "no waste" for me.

anyway, on salt, i was looking at forums and they found this article by a former franklin pitmaster
4d63f62dc75069a499804e5293c6d65c.png

i'll at least try the lawrys to see whats up on my next brisket.
Mad Scientist BBQ just did a video on that interview the other day. I like his content. Well produced and he's not annoying.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mad Scientist BBQ just did a video on that interview the other day. I like his content. Well produced and he's not annoying.

oh i think he's one of the bbq guys with a franklin brand smoker too, not like i would ever get one or an offset for that matter, offset just seems like too much work

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
oh i think he's one of the bbq guys with a franklin brand smoker too, not like i would ever get one or an offset for that matter, offset just seems like too much work
Yeah he did a review comparison video between all of his smokers a few weeks ago. He's happy with the Franklin but the takeaway from that video was you can get good barbecue on just about anything as long as you know what the hell you're doing.

Besides I think the Franklin's like four grand. There's no way in hell I'd pay that much. I think he bitched about the amount of space on the pit, too.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah he did a review comparison video between all of his smokers a few weeks ago. He's happy with the Franklin but the takeaway from that video was you can get good barbecue on just about anything as long as you know what the hell you're doing.

Besides I think the Franklin's like four grand. There's no way in hell I'd pay that much. I think he bitched about the amount of space on the pit, too.
I think his results with the Traeger were...kind of disappointing?

I guess it's ease of use with the pellets versus not as much smoke flavor?

Then on the other end you had something small like the WSM.

It sounds like such a weird hobby. I am intrigued.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think his results with the Traeger were...kind of disappointing?

I guess it's ease of use with the pellets versus not as much smoke flavor?

Then on the other end you had something small like the WSM.

It sounds like such a weird hobby. I am intrigued.
oh that reminds me i've been using a smoke tube
888eaf68c1ea68a9d9c3ac9edaaf1898.png

2cups of pellets will last a day

i know, why complicate things? ppl say it adds "even more" smoke flavor

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I smoked a Corned Beef Brisket to see if it would be anything special. So, it gives it a nicer texture compared to the slow cooking method I am used to. But the flavor is too overpowering to really take in the smoke.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I smoked a Corned Beef Brisket to see if it would be anything special. So, it gives it a nicer texture compared to the slow cooking method I am used to. But the flavor is too overpowering to really take in the smoke.
It really helps if you soak it in a tub of water for a day or two, and change the water a couple of times. You'll pull out a lot of that salt brine.

What did use for a rub?

Also what kind of wood did you use? I've been using a combination of fruit wood and something a little harsher like hickory, or even mesquite.

Just really curious cuz I've done it a couple of times now, and have been happy. I'm doing it with my slow and sear on the kettle though and I wonder if maybe that has something to do with it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
are we still on salt? so i read the franklin bbq books and really says s&p and paprika for color

i don't bother trimmer the brisket at all, why? imo trimming the brisket is just for competition and fat gives it flavor, what i do, do is scrape the fat off with flat edge of my knife and i freeze the fat.

um do i use the fat for cooking or tallow or what? it's just frozen atm so ya'll can tell me what you do with it, a whole brisket really is "no waste" for me.

anyway, on salt, i was looking at forums and they found this article by a former franklin pitmaster
4d63f62dc75069a499804e5293c6d65c.png

i'll at least try the lawrys to see whats up on my next brisket.

Have you never tried Lawry's? That was a staple in my dad's kitchen. I have some and use it rarely, but it has its place. Be careful with that stuff. It's really easy to overpower a dish with it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Have you never tried Lawry's? That was a staple in my dad's kitchen. I have some and use it rarely, but it has its place. Be careful with that stuff. It's really easy to overpower a dish with it.
dude, you live in chinatown, have you ever seen lawrys anywhere there?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
For anybody in Texas who shops at HEB, some of the stores are carrying the El Arriero brand of mesquite lump charcoal It's typically a better price than most of the other options, I want to say a little over 10 bucks for a 25 lb bag.

Out of three bags so far, I feel you get some really good chunks of wood. I know sometimes with lump charcoal that consistency is off or you'll get a bag with tons of tiny chunks. It seems to burn for as long as B&B which is what I normally buy, and way longer than the Central Market stuff. I can normally get quite a bit of useful coals remaining for my next cook.

Anyways, if you swing by HEB I suggest giving it a shot.

IMG_20210906_155118912_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210906_155128371_HDR.jpg

• 1Like

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Being from eurocuckistan we have no culture of beef jerky and it's not available for purchase anywhere.

So what's a good American way of doing it? Most recipes I find is soy sauce and worchestershire sauce basically.

Got tons of meat in the freezer I need to turn into jerky.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You can marinade the shit in whatever you like. A bit of liquid smoke is nice too. Check recipes online. It needs to be lean cuts of beef, no fat. Round is best for jerky. Slice it thin and you can either dry it in the oven at the lowest possible temp (160F), or use a food dehydrator to do it, about 4-5 hours on high. I use a dehydrator but I usually finish it in the oven at lowest temp (160F) to make sure its bacteria free. If dried correctly no need to refrigerate and it will last for months. When doing it in oven it takes a while 6-8 hrs) because of no air circulation like the dehydrator has and you should prop open the door a bit to let moisture escape. Jerky should be firm and bend, not snap.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Being from eurocuckistan we have no culture of beef jerky and it's not available for purchase anywhere.

So what's a good American way of doing it? Most recipes I find is soy sauce and worchestershire sauce basically.

Got tons of meat in the freezer I need to turn into jerky.
most recipes call for soy and worchestershire b/c they do a good job of enhancing flavor and tenderizing meat, and breaking down the protein fibers myosyin, you want the leanest meat possible b/c fat will spoil a jerky.

thats also why you see many recipes calling for the lean cuts of beef like london broil/top round/eye of round, etc, very little fat.

if you have tons of meat in the freezer thats also an easy way to slice the meat if you do it while it's partially frozen since you'll want 1/4 strips (while not difficult, it's also easier to do since it's a lot to do)

i've been checking out videos and this seems to be a good guide video for a jerky beginner

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
think of Jerky like you do smoking. You can hot smoke or cold smoke things.

Real, old tyme jerky uses cooler-than-room temperature, low/zero humidity, and high airflow. Alton Brown's Boxfan + furnace filters uses this method. The meat (or whatever you're drying) is not cooked but is still preserved due to marinade and low moisture content of the end product.

Cheater jerky uses the low oven or dehydrator. This gives you more options for marinades, cooks the meat for a difference in texture, and is generally faster. Technically its safer too, so any comercial jerky you've ever had has been done this method.

I've never heard anyone have a negative word against Biltong, if you're a little more adventurous.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Never tried Biltong but Facebook and Instagram are constantly trying to sell it to me. Is there a good brand to try and see what it's like?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm making pork chops tonight. Give me your best ideas for pork chops. Anything's possible. I have nice, thick, bone-in chops.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Made the first batch today with a normal recipe of worchester and soy and garlic and onion powder and pepper. Taste awesome but will add some chili next time also. Did not have any at home.

The fungus dehydrator worked really good, set it to 70C and it took 6hours or so. It's a cheap ass thing and we have a better one but did not want to mess it up with the marinade.

20210909_212235.jpg

• 1Like