Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
But there are differences in soy... There is light soy dark soy dark sweet soy.... fermented sour soy, all kinds of soy sauces.

Last edited:

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I honestly wouldn't suggest a "set" at all unless its your first kitchen knife purchase. The set will help you find the 2-3 knife sizes/shapes that you use ALL the time, and the rest grow dusty.

if you already know "I want this set to have a pairing knife, a 12+ inch long chef knife, and 8 inch Santoku" then just buy those and a set of steak knives.

d868aeda7bbf759f0d8bbb1d30962fb6.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I had a set, but with time somehow the knives have been disappearing. Now it is less than half.
if you want a knife "set" maybe just start off with a better knife, the fibrox is a known good starter knife
8e4e84b1443917308e22b0bf9cb6e6e6.png

Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife, 8-Inch Chef's

then all you have to do to take care of it is to buy a cheap ceramic hone
066d6d0710ade11bcdbe1a18c0afdebc.png

Ceramic Knife Sharpener Honing Rod: Professional Knife Sharpening Tool / Honer Stick - 12 Inch…

yea we're combing a hone and knife sharpening so you straighten the edge and sharpen it at the same time, it only takes a minute a week

then move on to better knives

you really don't buy "sets" for youself you just buy em as wedding presents, or you received a "set" as a present and now you want better knives

the fibrox and ceramic hone is a good starter for now, if you get better with it or want more, you can move on

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
While I agree with you, there are people who can tell the difference. This is more interesting than you'd think.

This isn't what I'm talking about. Let's see him take a bite of a steak seasoned with these kinds of salt and identity them. Nobody in real life eats plain salt after visually inspecting it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agreed with what was said on knives. The only reason we have a knife block is because it was some lightning deal on Amazon.

Otherwise I'd recommend going to a store like Williams Sonoma and holding them, see what feels good in your hand, etc. before buying.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This isn't what I'm talking about. Let's see him take a bite of a steak seasoned with these kinds of salt and identity them. Nobody in real life eats plain salt after visually inspecting it.
oh, you mean after it's seasoned, is there a difference in taste? yea i notice zero difference eating a steak w/ kosher salt vs himilayan salt.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20210816_201312.jpg

Here's my new salt collection. I don't really know which ones to use for what. They were all tested on steak and they're all good. I like the truffle salt the least, and I probably didn't need to get Fleur de Sel either because it's a bit redundant with the Celtic salt. The pink salt has a different vibe than the others.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 367454
Here's my new salt collection. I don't really know which ones to use for what. They were all tested on steak and they're all good. I like the truffle salt the least, and I probably didn't need to get Fleur de Sel either because it's a bit redundant with the Celtic salt. The pink salt has a different vibe than the others.
himalayan for everyday salt since you also have a grinder
celtic for fish / seafood
fleur de sel for salted chocolate desserts
10dc4fff1431483b36cf521e583445db.png

feed the truffle salt to a pig

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok gonna try less black pepper, not gonna flip and only fat side down (i read ppl do this so that the fat takes the "brunt" of the heat)
20210819_180448.jpg

still using water pan, still gonna spritz with apple juice (i don't drink apple juice so i buy the little containers for kids)

that chunk of meat on there is chicken i pulled off using the same settings as previously posted, still as good and smokey as before.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
Depends on the grill where the most heat is. Sometimes it's in the top with offsets, heat rises, but with my grill the flame is directly below. Fat side bottom for me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Depends on the grill where the most heat is. Sometimes it's in the top with offsets, heat rises, but with my grill the flame is directly below. Fat side bottom for me.
yea i did the test where i stabbed 4 potatoes and the middle is the hottest

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
are we still on salt? so i read the franklin bbq books and really says s&p and paprika for color

i don't bother trimmer the brisket at all, why? imo trimming the brisket is just for competition and fat gives it flavor, what i do, do is scrape the fat off with flat edge of my knife and i freeze the fat.

um do i use the fat for cooking or tallow or what? it's just frozen atm so ya'll can tell me what you do with it, a whole brisket really is "no waste" for me.

anyway, on salt, i was looking at forums and they found this article by a former franklin pitmaster
4d63f62dc75069a499804e5293c6d65c.png

i'll at least try the lawrys to see whats up on my next brisket.

• 2Like