Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm a fan of lemon pepper on pork chops. Never a fan of coating meat in sugar.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm a fan of lemon pepper on pork chops. Never a fan of coating meat in sugar.

It's not really coating it in sugar. It's just something to balance out the acidity of the other ingredients.

Then again I love cooking Asian cuisine and some type of sugar is used in almost everything. Salt, acid, sweet, heat.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'm just not a fan of teriyaki or hoisin sauce. Just too sweet for me on meat.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I'm just not a fan of teriyaki or hoisin sauce. Just too sweet for me on meat.
the problem i find w/ most teriyaki sauces is they add sugar or substitute mirin with rice vinegar, not needed and it becomes candied pork chop

whatever recipe i saw in a book called for equal parts sake/mirin/soy, no sugar needed, (mirin is sweet enough) (actually i think it just say a restaurant prep a sauce w/o sugar) don't use honey or syrup to thicken it up, just use a cornstarch slurry.

even onecookbook calls for sugar, it's not needed, skip it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Crendor experiences 3 star Michelin restaurant. Listen the whole thing, it's pretty incredible

starts around 9:10 mark if timestamp doesn't work
Went to Alinea last week. Had four of the same dishes (char, cauliflower, oyster/beef, desert). It was worth it, their cocktail bar the Aviary was a lot of fun.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
First attempt at lomo saltado. Turned out excellent. Not much I would change for next time. Very easy to make.

lomo saltado.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So has anyone fucked with making really thick beef jerky or slabs of beef jerky in a dehydrator? I've looked at the methods for making biltong, but I the whole thing is too much of a hassle. I was hoping that a dehydrator could be used to speed up a similar process, but I can't find any online recipes for it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i bought this to try cuz i still have no idea where the fuck the movers put my whetstones and honing rods
fb18603861422a019faeee01755b9f6e.png

Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener
it is really nice, the "swivel/pivot" point is a really strong magnet so it's the best "floating" mechanism

i've been using this comfortably for a while
8963cf4bf888e718964572b74c1394e4.png

and the worksharp has more quality of life bonuses, like i don't "HAVE" to affix it to the edge of my countertop, i can just slap it on my countertop, and again that magnet pivot

giphy.gif

but i really don't like the stones that are include, besides just a 300 /600 and ceramic, it's too coarse and the stones feel... rough (like dmt diamond stones)

anyway i'm still keeping it

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i bought this to try cuz i still have no idea where the fuck the movers put my whetstones and honing rods
fb18603861422a019faeee01755b9f6e.png

Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener
it is really nice, the "swivel/pivot" point is a really strong magnet so it's the best "floating" mechanism

i've been using this comfortably for a while
8963cf4bf888e718964572b74c1394e4.png

and the worksharp has more quality of life bonuses, like i don't "HAVE" to affix it to the edge of my countertop, i can just slap it on my countertop, and again that magnet pivot

giphy.gif

but i really don't like the stones that are include, besides just a 300 /600 and ceramic, it's too coarse and the stones feel... rough (like dmt diamond stones)

anyway i'm still keeping it
Confused Liam Neeson GIF

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Because it's Lanx Lanx and that's a new, nifty, neato gadget
i still can't find my whetstones, so i needed something (note the sharpener is good for bringing back an edge, but not for finishing, imo, it's missing a good 1000 and 6000 grit stone.

but you can make fun of me for getting this
d64ba685d44bab0457dfd0a83edc7f09.png

now that i live close to an asian grocer, i can buy fresh bean sprouts... only theyre a bit further out so i don't make as many trips as i'd like, apparently growing bean sprouts on the countertop is easy

you can just put em in a pot and a strainer and it's like lazy hydroponics
7277b2182eafd4970b0943743ade3d6c.png

problem is you have to monitor them at least twice a day and change the water.

and even more hands on approach is to keep em wet and rinsed
4b21edd192fd2347576f9bcc7bc143dc.png

but you have to do that a few times a day.

so i just opted for the automatic sprinkling instead

mung bean dish is easy enough to make, you've probably seen it at korean banchan or topped w/ pho and other noodle dishes

• 1Worf

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How big is your fucking kitchen? You have so many ridiculous kitchen appliances and gadgets.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How big is your fucking kitchen? You have so many ridiculous kitchen appliances and gadgets.
on my kitchen countertops i only have a cutting board, instapot, wok and mixer out, i have alcove that i designate as the cup cabinet and coffee station

honestly i wanted a bigger kitchen, and an island, but the timing and market didn't allow for that, at least this kitchen is updated with new cabinets and appliances.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
i still can't find my whetstones, so i needed something (note the sharpener is good for bringing back an edge, but not for finishing, imo, it's missing a good 1000 and 6000 grit stone.

but you can make fun of me for getting this
d64ba685d44bab0457dfd0a83edc7f09.png

now that i live close to an asian grocer, i can buy fresh bean sprouts... only theyre a bit further out so i don't make as many trips as i'd like, apparently growing bean sprouts on the countertop is easy

you can just put em in a pot and a strainer and it's like lazy hydroponics
7277b2182eafd4970b0943743ade3d6c.png

problem is you have to monitor them at least twice a day and change the water.

and even more hands on approach is to keep em wet and rinsed
4b21edd192fd2347576f9bcc7bc143dc.png

but you have to do that a few times a day.

so i just opted for the automatic sprinkling instead

mung bean dish is easy enough to make, you've probably seen it at korean banchan or topped w/ pho and other noodle dishes

Ha, didn't even need to get to the link to know that was Maangchi. Youtube has been pushing all her foodie videos on me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You ain't sticking that head of lettuce in one of those flatpacks. I've got a mishmash of reused quart and pint yogurt/butter containers, Round Pyrex, square Pyrex, your ever present 6 different sizes metal bowl set, and a couple of restaurant quality Cambro 6 qrt round storages.

If it all caught fire and had to be replaced, I'd probably go with square Cambor's in far fewer (but still a couple different) qrt'ages. heavy duty flexible plastic, unified sizing, made to fit lids that still fit multiple sizes

View attachment 343755
i wanted to call back to this, in that i've started to use the rubbermaid version of the cambro, only b/c i've had a 8qt around for my sous vide, what i like about em is you can stack em into each other while empty (so no funky sizes) and 2qt to 8qt all use the same lid.

i've so far only been doing this for dry goods, while i keep the rubbermaid brilliance to fridge stuff.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
A neighbor lady gave me a 9 lb chuck roast to cook for a community dinner because she wanted something more interesting than a pot roast done with it.

PXL_20211001_015647493.jpg

After reading up a bit I smoked it pretty much exactly like I would a brisket. It came out very similar to brisket. In fact pretty much everyone at the party thought that was what it was. Kind of cool to know that you can do it with chuck roast since they are cheaper and easier to come by than brisket and they come in different sizes.

PXL_20211002_000400863~2.jpg

• 6Like
  • 3Quality Calories
Reactions: 8 users