Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
1633190393316.png

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i still can't find my whetstones, so i needed something (note the sharpener is good for bringing back an edge, but not for finishing, imo, it's missing a good 1000 and 6000 grit stone.

but you can make fun of me for getting this
d64ba685d44bab0457dfd0a83edc7f09.png

now that i live close to an asian grocer, i can buy fresh bean sprouts... only theyre a bit further out so i don't make as many trips as i'd like, apparently growing bean sprouts on the countertop is easy

you can just put em in a pot and a strainer and it's like lazy hydroponics
7277b2182eafd4970b0943743ade3d6c.png

problem is you have to monitor them at least twice a day and change the water.

and even more hands on approach is to keep em wet and rinsed
4b21edd192fd2347576f9bcc7bc143dc.png

but you have to do that a few times a day.

so i just opted for the automatic sprinkling instead

mung bean dish is easy enough to make, you've probably seen it at korean banchan or topped w/ pho and other noodle dishes

so this is actually going pretty good, it'll probably pay for itself by the end of the month b/c i'll usually buy a big bag of bean sprouts and they'll just turn to "mush" in 2 days anyway, with this i'll have a constant fresh supply daily and the plants i do harvest, they stay fresh even longer.

i've now staggered the growing, 1 tray 4 days apart, the top most tray is the newest
1d90da0f751e42ba4dcb818a95740322.png

because at the top there is this twirly water spray part and it doesnt turn if theres stuff sprounting for obvious reasons.

now i'm just waiting for kroger to have pork loin primal on sale, i feel like making char siu

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
A neighbor lady gave me a 9 lb chuck roast to cook for a community dinner because she wanted something more interesting than a pot roast done with it.

View attachment 375365

After reading up a bit I smoked it pretty much exactly like I would a brisket. It came out very similar to brisket. In fact pretty much everyone at the party thought that was what it was. Kind of cool to know that you can do it with chuck roast since they are cheaper and easier to come by than brisket and they come in different sizes.

View attachment 375366
Looks like it turned out great.

Chuck roasts are fantastic smoked like a brisket. We do it pretty often when we're in the mood for brisket, just because 15 lb packer is a hell of a lot of meat for just the two of us. I get tired of brisket with that much in leftovers. Always freeze some for stuff like chili or beef stew, and there's always making tacos, but I tend not to want to cook another one for a long time.

The chuck roast really kind the sweet spot for throwing something on the smoker for the weekend. Plus it's a hell of a lot cheaper, especially with beef prices being shit right now.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The local Sam's sells chuck steaks in 2 packs averaging about 2.5 lbs each. I picked one up to do in the sous vide for steak night to see how it turns out and the other is going on the smoker for pulled beef. I'm pretty stoked to try out both.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The local Sam's sells chuck steaks in 2 packs averaging about 2.5 lbs each. I picked one up to do in the sous vide for steak night to see how it turns out and the other is going on the smoker for pulled beef. I'm pretty stoked to try out both.
i picked up 4rolls just yesterday
95f049e54884770da4eff3df837376f3.png

these dropped from 11bucks, figure i'd try em out, ppl have been having good seals with em, i mean my last roll of food saver brand bags actually leak, so i'm like, whatever, brand doesn't matter.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I’m going to buy some good quality cast iron. I was looking at Field for the best bang for the buck. What do you guys like? I do have some experience seasoning and and cleaning cast iron so I don’t mind spending a bit for the good stuff. Most of my use will be on a indoor gas stove and a bit on my gas grill.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I’m going to buy some good quality cast iron. I was looking at Field for the best bang for the buck. What do you guys like? I do have some experience seasoning and and cleaning cast iron so I don’t mind spending a bit for the good stuff. Most of my use will be on a indoor gas stove and a bit on my gas grill.

If I'm spending for it, I'd get Lodge.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

look into stargazer brand, those 2 were the posh machined cast iron i was looking at b4 just going full carbon steel (i still use wok 99% of the time)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

As lurkingdirk lurkingdirk said, Lodge is definitely the way to go. If you really want something that will last a lifetime, grab some Le Creuset.

I've been slowly building a collection of different sized pans, and some of their enameled cast iron vessels over the years. I got the first ones as Christmas gifts when I was in college, and they're amazing to cook with. Their stoneware products are really good too. You can typically find them at Home Goods sometimes for a discounted price. I think they even have outlet centers but I've never been to one.

My mom has a variety she got as a wedding gift before I was born I believe for my great-grandmother. Those pots and pans have cooked thousands of meals, and still work to this day. Yeah they patina some, but that's part of the charm. She's already told me I'll get the entire set one day.

They're totally worth it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As lurkingdirk lurkingdirk said, Lodge is definitely the way to go. If you really want something that will last a lifetime, grab some Le Creuset.

I've been slowly building a collection of different sized pans, and some of their enameled cast iron vessels over the years. I got the first ones as Christmas gifts when I was in college, and they're amazing to cook with. Their stoneware products are really good too. You can typically find them at Home Goods sometimes for a discounted price. I think they even have outlet centers but I've never been to one.

My mom has a variety she got as a wedding gift before I was born I believe for my great-grandmother. Those pots and pans have cooked thousands of meals, and still work to this day. Yeah they patina some, but that's part of the charm. She's already told me I'll get the entire set one day.

They're totally worth it.
the difference tho w/ stargazer and field is that after the pan is casted, they machine it to a smooth surface, whereas lodge and others just sandblast. hell ppl buy a cheap lodge and polish the surface themselves.

if anyone is interested in polishing, the easiest i've seen is to use this buffer
9c55d4708f694fec6b25cc3fdd2d1487.png

to get rid of most of the pits.

this i learned is to bring back the old vintage surface, as older cast irons were machined smoothed, and the reason why lodge leaves theirs rough and pitted is for the factory season to stick.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
the difference tho w/ stargazer and field is that after the pan is casted, they machine it to a smooth surface, whereas lodge and others just sandblast. hell ppl buy a cheap lodge and polish the surface themselves.

if anyone is interested in polishing, the easiest i've seen is to use this buffer
9c55d4708f694fec6b25cc3fdd2d1487.png

to get rid of most of the pits.

this i learned is to bring back the old vintage surface, as older cast irons were machined smoothed, and the reason why lodge leaves theirs rough and pitted is for the factory season to stick.
The Le Creuset has a pretty smooth finish prior to seasoning, as well. Might not be as smooth as the one you're talking about but it's leaps and bounds better than a Lodge. I don't believe they sandblast their cookware for the final finish, but I could be mistaken.

The enameled cast iron is just like porcelain basically.

I'll have to check out the Stargazer stuff I wasn't familiar with that brand.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea, maybe they roll them in rocks or something, i'll see about the lodge vid

edit, they get pellet blasted
Hehe, actually watched that video I think last week. Always find that stuff pretty fascinating.

Looks like Le Creuset hand buffs to smooth out the non enamel surfaces, but they blast for pitting for the enamel to adhere.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Cowboy Kent seems to like the stargazer. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. I may have to pick one up.

The factory finish on it definitely looks nice and smooth.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought a ~7lb pork tenderloin from Costco a couple weeks ago and put it in my freezer... and I have no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I started looking around flea markets for old cast iron after watching a couple YouTube videos on what to look for. I found this awesome little Wagner skillet for $30. The thing sets perfectly flat and looks like it’s in amazing condition. Theres a bit of rust that I’ll have to take care of but I’m gonna use this pan to learn how to season properly. This thing is so much lighter, thinner and smoother than a new lodge.

Attachments

• 83651425-7AF1-427A-B11B-7C1AB8CB62B9.jpeg
    83651425-7AF1-427A-B11B-7C1AB8CB62B9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 1Like