Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just don't actually cook in it until you know for sure it wasn't used to melt lead. IDK how prevalent that problem actually is, it's certainly a non-zero chance for any used/fleamarket/trash find Cast Iron.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Frankly, all the fancy cast iron is just trying to separate you from your money. I have an antique cast iron skillet with a smooth bottom and there's no difference in how you cook anything. I fry eggs in my lodge every day and it works just fine. I like the old stuff just because it's old and I like to think about using something that someone was cooking with 100 years ago but functionally, it doesn't matter. If you want to pay $200 for a new frying pan it's up to you, but I seriously doubt that there's going to be any difference using it vs. the $50 lodge.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Frankly, all the fancy cast iron is just trying to separate you from your money. I have an antique cast iron skillet with a smooth bottom and there's no difference in how you cook anything. I fry eggs in my lodge every day and it works just fine. I like the old stuff just because it's old and I like to think about using something that someone was cooking with 100 years ago but functionally, it doesn't matter. If you want to pay $200 for a new frying pan it's up to you, but I seriously doubt that there's going to be any difference using it vs. the $50 lodge.
Also seems that with a bit of elbow grease and know how you can sand and reseason a $50 lodge skillet and have something that cooks just like a Butter Pat, only a bit heavier.

I talked to my mom the other day about looking for cast iron and apparently the has a bunch of my grandmas old cast iron that she never used but didn’t want to get rid of that she’s going to give me so that’s exciting. I still might get a new one with a lid if I can’t find any antique one with a lid. I think I’d have to go with Field if I do at this point. I was thinking of getting a Field Dutch oven too but I think an enameled cast iron will be much more versatile for a Dutch oven.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Also seems that with a bit of elbow grease and know how you can sand and reseason a $50 lodge skillet and have something that cooks just like a Butter Pat, only a bit heavier.

I talked to my mom the other day about looking for cast iron and apparently the has a bunch of my grandmas old cast iron that she never used but didn’t want to get rid of that she’s going to give me so that’s exciting. I still might get a new one with a lid if I can’t find any antique one with a lid. I think I’d have to go with Field if I do at this point. I was thinking of getting a Field Dutch oven too but I think an enameled cast iron will be much more versatile for a Dutch oven.
what do you need a big pot for currently?

once i got the instapot, there was no need for me to have the dutch oven no more, at best the only reason i even have it in my cupboard now is that maybe i'll learn how to bake bread with it in the oven.

a dutch oven is also the second best option for deep frying, since it retains heat so well, the best is just getting a fryer, it'll keep temps way better than having a long ass thermometer and constantly adjusting the knobs.

i mean, don't get me wrong i know white ppl bring their slow cookers and dutch ovens over (drive slow!) at parties and hangouts, i had some good buffalo chicken cheese dip.

(yes i know it sounds facetious coming from a guy that constantly buys new kitchen toys, like how i bought another chinese chef knife only cuz it was full high carbon and i found a decent solution for holding big fat blades, but i didn't want to drill into my tile)
c0dd2d39ea82956cc130be34ca8d1f32.png

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Was going to do steak night, but came home with tomahawk pork chops instead. Did a 8-hour garlic and herb wet brine, and reverse seared them to an internal of 145. Was pretty pleased with the results.

IMG_20211009_191224827.jpg

IMG_20211009_193702977.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Greater Goods cast iron is a cheaper smoothed surface pan. Haven't tried personally, but gets good reviews on scamazon.

I found an old Griswold in my mom's stuff after she died. I had to strip and re-season it, but was easy enough because the cooking surface is smooth as glass. It was pretty beat up, with grind gouges around the inner walls, but it is my go-to now.

Huge difference between it and a newer Lodge, but that's as much because Lodge factory seasoning sucks as the rough surface.

I grew up with antique Lodges that were smoothed and seasoned with decades of use, and they just always seemed to stick less and clean up easier without damaging the seasoning. Same with my Griswold now.

The new Lodge pans just feel shitty compared to a good, broken in, smoothed, non-factory seasoned pan.

The rough surface with metal utensils is annoyingly loud any time stir frying in my Lodge wok. Planning on grinding all my Lodge smooth.

Would buy a Stargazer if not for finding the Griswold. Or take a chance on cheaper Greater Goods.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
this bitch needs to sharpen that knife

i hope ya'll aren't chopping like this

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why does she go from cooking to doing squats with no weights (lol?) right after in the same video?

1635552516947.png

• 1Worf

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Holy shit that's Rachel Ray now? Damn she used to be hot.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users