602f6bcc07ae9b2d4a758d53c106bf81.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Made Doro wat last night and it was fantastic

IMG_20211105_175642_251.jpg

I used a poached egg instead of hard boiled because poached eggs are awesome. Also didn't have the stuff for injera so I just made a quick flatbread.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
cooling rack pampered chef

click $1 off
buy 2
Y75M7K7N

and 50% off each these are test kitchens best cooling racks, guess i'll test em out.

(not like i bake much)
so these cooling racks look exactly like the ones i'm replacing, (i'm returning to amazon cuz they are rusting), i'll see if they don't rust as bad, i only used them a few times.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
rumble-lets-get-ready-to-ratio.gif

03ee6a17480d8bf6b4a1fca5fb43e16e.png

i'm gonna need 11q to fill it up,

i see 128oz (4q) at kroger for 12bucks

anywhere else i should look? i guess i'll check aldi this week

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Check a Cash and Carry style restaurant supply stores. Big boxes of oil. Though often not much cheaper these days necessarily.

Have really been liking avocado oil for frying egg rolls and corn dogs, but it's expensive and harder to find. Doing lard for fried chicken and other meats style stuff.

I save oil in mason jars too, just filtering it is a bitch (if anyone has suggestions, been just doing paper towels in a strainer).

Just use dutch oven or cast iron on a single burner induction. Keeps temps nice and stable.

Frying was my cooking improvement project last year (sous vide the year before). It's been fun.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Check a Cash and Carry style restaurant supply stores. Big boxes of oil. Though often not much cheaper these days necessarily.

Have really been liking avocado oil for frying egg rolls and corn dogs, but it's expensive and harder to find. Doing lard for fried chicken and other meats style stuff.

I save oil in mason jars too, just filtering it is a bitch (if anyone has suggestions, been just doing paper towels in a strainer).

Just use dutch oven or cast iron on a single burner induction. Keeps temps nice and stable.

Frying was my cooking improvement project last year (sous vide the year before). It's been fun.
while not specifically for oil, this place i went to a few weeks ago
7cc9b6ebfb831da5435a8f8225031309.jpg

besides flour... prices (per oz/) were no different than just a kroger, some more expensive (which is probably why now i remember seeing chefs at aldi a few times)

for filtering oil this is what i use

48e2e43a86082ace594ab9791f04c553.png

(i got the walmart red brand)
but a HUGE 2 gallon funnel and i filter with a gold basket

72c448f725ee5fa6b911c589e02a5f32.png

it is fine enough that it'll filter out most everything, and if i really wanna get the fines, i just put a .01c 8-12cup coffee basket filter in there , but this gold basket is great, b/c its like a pre filter and the oil just drains super fast (i know i used to do the paper towel too)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man i really gotta install a more powerful porch light
20211109_214743.jpg

do you smokers wrap the drip tray in foil for easy clean up or just power clean yearly?

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My cheap smoker was designed to do without a catch and drip down a hole in the middle of the bottom, but it drips out the seams and the legs instead and makes a mess. Leaving the same drip pan got too crusty and started to smell burnt, though didn't notice food tasting bad/burned, but was a mess on top of a mess.

It doesn't seem to inhibit cooking or smokiness whether on a tray/rack system or I put pan near the bottom, so I always use a catch now of some kind and just clean each time or toss if disposable.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
man i really gotta install a more powerful porch light
View attachment 381484

do you smokers wrap the drip tray in foil for easy clean up or just power clean yearly?

I wrap mine in foil and change the foil every 2 or 3 cooks or when it starts to look real dirty. On my last cook I learned another reason to do it. I was doing a long cook on an 11 lb pork butt. The pellets ran out sooner than I expected but I thought I caught it just in time. I didn't. So the fire was out, which I didn't realize, but I refilled the pellets. The grill didn't know the fire was out either, so it kept dumping pellets in while the temp dropped. I finally realized what was going on and turned the grill off and then on again so it would go through the ignition cycle, but by then there was a big pile of pellets down there. It ignited and 10 minutes later the high temp alarm on my thermometer goes off and I run out and the the whole fucking thing is on fire. I jerked the meat out, pulled off the grill, and then because of the aluminum foil (which was burning like gasoline with all the leftover grease on it) I was able to use a spatula to just scrape the flaming foil out and it had rained the night before and the deck was still wet so I just threw it down on the deck and stomped on it to put it out. Left a small black spot on the deck but I got the fire out, got the pellets under control, put the meat back in, and all was well. There was a slightly charred spot on the bottom of the butt but it didn't taste bad at all. Not sure what I would have done though if the drip plate itself was on fire and not just the foil. Cost me two thermometer probes that got the wires melted and burned my hand a bit but that was the extent of the damage.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
30 hour chuck roast sous vide steak is about 5 hours from being ready to go. First time doing a 24+ hour bath, so I'm excited to see how it goes.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Cast iron on medium until very hot. Put a tablespoon of ghee in the skillet. Once the ghee starts to smoke, sear the steak flipping every 30 seconds to a minute until you have your desired color. Then throw 4 to 6 tablespoons of butter in the skillet and baste the steak for a minute on each side.

Edit: make sure to pay the steak as dry as possible after removing from the sous vide bag. That is crucial for a good crust.

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Word. The cast iron method. That's what I use for sous vide steaks. Make sure to take down the smoke detectors.