Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
For 'practice' Thanksgiving we use those pre-made Bob Evans mashed potatoes and then corn and cranberry sauce from a can, but the turkey and gravy itself is legit, as is the stuffing.

I understand the corn, it's obviously close to impossible to get fresh corn at this time of year. But why go premade with the potatoes and cranberries? They are the easiest dishes to make.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm going for it and frying a 22 pounder. Bought a 44 quart stainless steel pot at Cabelas. It's going to be awesome. If I don't post again after Thursday know that I went out in a blaze of glory.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Daaaaaaaaaaamn, good luck with that. I thought about it but read about nothing but problems from people trying to fry a bird that large. I figure Friday is probably the best day ever to buy a turkey fryer, so I may end up doing one for Christmas.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm ready to go with the turkey fry. Our bird is only 14 lbs, so no problem for the Lowes fryer.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Oh, one thing I learned on my practice bird is that you should put the dogs in the house while you're frying. We had 3 dogs out there and they just took turns trying to commit suicide by bathing themselves in hot oil.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Oh, one thing I learned on my practice bird is that you should put the dogs in the house while you're frying. We had 3 dogs out there and they just took turns trying to commit suicide by bathing themselves in hot oil.
This is an excellent tip.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Smoked a few pounds of wings for about six hours. Refrigerated overnight. Gonna grill them tomorrow. Along with the elk. Can't wait for the eats.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, for a laugh (and a shudder) I wondered if people have Sous Vide'd bacon. They have...

Now, I don't belong to the Cult of Bacon (I like it, in moderation, for breakfast. I don't need it on my burger or my donut or candied or any of the rest of that fool stuff). But wtf people?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
20 lb fried turkey was a success, although I overcooked it a little. I read 3.5 minutes per pound so I set the timer for 70 minutes. I checked it at 50 minutes and the breast was only at 121 degrees, so I left it in the full 70 minutes and I think I should have pulled it at 60. The skin was past crispy and a bit burnt but the meat was fine. Not as moist as the first one I did, but still better than a regular roasted bird normally comes out. Also, various bullshit conspired so that I only got to brine it for about 2.5 hours, which I'm sure wasn't enough. Next year it will be perfect.

turkey.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Do you guys have any good and easy pressure cooker recipes? Thinking about buying one but want to make sure its something I will use.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
20 lb fried turkey was a success, although I overcooked it a little. I read 3.5 minutes per pound so I set the timer for 70 minutes. I checked it at 50 minutes and the breast was only at 121 degrees, so I left it in the full 70 minutes and I think I should have pulled it at 60. The skin was past crispy and a bit burnt but the meat was fine. Not as moist as the first one I did, but still better than a regular roasted bird normally comes out. Also, various bullshit conspired so that I only got to brine it for about 2.5 hours, which I'm sure wasn't enough. Next year it will be perfect.

damn 2.5hr brine for a 20lb bird is barely a shower, let alone a brine bath, heh, looks nice tho.