Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Are you happy with your GMG? Been debating between them, Tregar, Louisiana Grills and pit boss. It seems like I'm either leaning towards the portable GMG or the behemoth Louisiana one they have at Costco when it goes on sale next, while my dad is a fan of the mid size Tregar.

Yes I’m very happy with it. I was looking at Traeger and GMG. GMG is a little heavier duty, can hold a slightly higher temp, and is cheaper. Figured the Traeger must be better due to the price, contacted a friend who smokes professionally and he said it’s just the nametag they’re charging for...people just know it better. He runs two of the giant GMG on his trailer. He said Traeger is still good, but the GMG is better. He said pit boss isn’t very good compared to those two. Never heard of Louisiana.

I haven’t had any regrets, I went with the Daniel Boone with WiFi. It got me back into enjoying grilling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Today’s smoking session. Jalapeños, cream cheese, seasoned chicken with rub, bacon wrapped, seasoned final wraps with the McCormick’s.

3BBE4883-77A8-45C5-A516-1CF21E8408AC.jpegFFBAC81A-7C8C-4CD5-B34B-46781F6E2BF8.jpegA527C142-7EF0-40E9-A7C3-FAF6DADB1635.jpeg

Oldbased Oldbased still waiting on my ring.

Njals Njals Protip for when you get your smoker. Wrap the top sliding grease tray with foil, covering the holes doesn’t change anything with heat or flavor. Makes cleaning easy, you just unwrap and toss once it has too much buildup. Other wise you’ll be cleaning and scraping the tray itself.

D014335C-44C9-4C8D-B885-A8511301B79B.jpeg

Zapatta Zapatta I picked up some Tilamook sharp cheddar, will do that later this week or next weekend and report back. How long you smoke it for?

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Went to a party today. Dude had a full on barbecue on a trailer. This thing was legit. probably 8 feet long and 5 feet across. Access from both sides. Completely custom design. Said he can use it as a smoker, and can do hundreds of pounds of meat a once.

Now I want one.

• 1Solidarity

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Went to a party today. Dude had a full on barbecue on a trailer. This thing was legit. probably 8 feet long and 5 feet across. Access from both sides. Completely custom design. Said he can use it as a smoker, and can do hundreds of pounds of meat a once.

Now I want one.
Pics or it didn't happen

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Zapatta Zapatta I picked up some Tilamook sharp cheddar, will do that later this week or next weekend and report back. How long you smoke it for?

30-40 mins. As low a temp as you can go and still make smoke or you will make fondue. Cut it into blocks smaller than a pound. I shoot for 175-180 degrees and put it on the cold spots in my smoker. Keep an eye on it, if it starts to slump pull it.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Also, I take it out to the smoker and toss it in the fridge for a few hours to firm back up and stop the grease from weeping out of it before I use it for anything.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It seems like Spam would probably just melt if you tried to smoke it since it's about 50% pork fat.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gochujang seems ok, though there's a weird umami taste to it that I'm not used to
what're you dabbing it on? my two main uses of it is for
1. kimchi soondu jigae soup
2. kimchi fried rice

also if i wanted to spice up some banchan but make it... sticky, instead of just puttin in pepper flakes.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Dab? DAB?

Maybe I'm using it wrong, LOL

2lbs or pork, or so
2lbs of frozen vegetables
half a bottle of sauce mixed in

Just experimenting with different sauces, because plain meats + veggies is bland AF

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dab? DAB?

Maybe I'm using it wrong, LOL

2lbs or pork, or so
2lbs of frozen vegetables
half a bottle of sauce mixed in

Just experimenting with different sauces, because plain meats + veggies is bland AF
yea, that should work, "i think" the bottle is more of a dressing sauce, it might be sweeter (i don't have any Faulty Armors to tell me otherwise atm), if you wanna cook, see if you can get the tub of it.

for pork, try it quick n dirty chinese char siu. if you can't get char siu sauce (and at these prices it's 3x a grocer), you can make my variation (not my families recipe, but close)

coat your pork cubes in cornstarch, heat a pan 50/50 butter/oil, brown it then dump this sauce on it
2 parts soy
1 part hoisin
1 part oyster
1 part shaoxing wine
1 part sugar
1 part honey

it'll be really thick, drop frozen veggies, cover and simmer. no extra water is needed cuz you should have a bit from the frozen veggies.

for an even "thicker" sauce replace honey w/ molasses

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So i bought a new food saver for my place in Colorado, but it came with a marinating container. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but sounds interesting:

During the Quick Marinate Cycle, the vacuum pump will “hold” the vacuum for several minutes then release the vacuum, allowing the food to “rest” for 30 seconds. This process then repeats. This “pulsing” action of “vacuuming and resting” will allow for quicker more flavorful marinating.

Anyone use one before?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So i bought a new food saver for my place in Colorado, but it came with a marinating container. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but sounds interesting:

Anyone use one before?
i've done the regular marination with container, i guess this is a new mode on the food saver, haven't had access to use.

i use the marination for jerky

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Started cooking bacon in the oven and have been pretty addicted to it that way, even moreso than back when I was merely pan frying it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah baking bacon was a revelation. Though I cooked bacon in my air fryer once and that is superior. 13 minutes for perfectly cooked bacon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Best part of baking is you can cook way more bacon in way less time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users