Gravy's Cooking Thread

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Got to use my grinder (kitchen aid attachment) for the first time today and it was so easy and cheap. Found a ~4lb brisket with an ok fat cap on it for $10 and change, figured it wasn't worth the fuel to smoke one that tiny but should get a good fat ratio for the chili grind. I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing it before as it took under a half hour to cut it up, run it through and clean up the grinder attachment. Going to try Alton browns meatballs next weekend since I've got some lamb and pork in the freezer and can usually find beef cheap or maybe make some hot dogs from scratch if the weather will cooperate for outdoor smoking.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
It's my favorite time of year again!

The entire apartment smells like parsley and chicken. ^^

Protip: next time you make chicken or turkey soup, try just a dash of curry powder.

Last edited:

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider

Had to drop this one after making it tonight. Absolutely killer pea dish, we're talking flavortown and the whole nine yards. I threw in some cubed ham that I had lying around and had it as a main course. 10/10 would make again

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I made lamb chops in my instant pot tonight and goddamn they were some of the best I've ever had. I love lamb chops, but it's usually a pretty time intensive cooking process. These took no more than 10 min. Turned out fucking great. The flash from the camera was a little much, but when I look at this pic I want to eat them again.

2QOomGUnE0EwC_a77Fm1VKNDsDE5CbVDdxdbITgiINbCVak3gGbr_YB6PqtUfp0twxlkF_uQ3FeRzWLY8zsYbTRRG00k2DaFe5cU1P8d1BOe4reZ-g1HsESZ7PUsjgW6pZ_3DjYYFWtOiz9LJfWFBX34EIDrv4pU4N_wlMbdzmivrmaY41DSGq2rvMKuxYylRwrugzfOiljvGw6N8VhNeXNwA57OI0b61v3OqRxwkiDkFNNcJbq-MCof8vy5fzTmPIEHGDBws_sSASqhnltzTaKh9IRDf4L6IrtHuUFNKvbRqSoFDVL7Yc3E26ZF7TT2mUp-A_z3z3mOF6eH0XnzCY61j3YA6nx59I_bQucAgOcyDsHYcxMjTPLwhGtMzFMCAjyRCcbQHip1qssSkuQgfOWbvj-d7QpSuV3d1wRCfp-IhQrOQp126rYSFgFdBo31fXqJW7ecu2yYoMfAZzGgXFIZDgV2LlMgMIBchwtK5p5378G8QKeKlwfaEfRY6IC-zTEilYTMBJk8bwh2z93KOZKpdwgZBqUneg3EyydNcdth5cOMQ_-WtOaIqSebXeSMtPp-IOiej5JhMIaNhHXQPLZqz4OT8Dp4gb4EfuzHpmkUQHJtcr3__6w4KYsz7HwrkPgH95jjafk8BN0smcgrS2td2YU1ayJL5rQeQ7YAg9Avs1GWpzNH0Nc=s1406-no

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I made lamb chops in my instant pot tonight and goddamn they were some of the best I've ever had. I love lamb chops, but it's usually a pretty time intensive cooking process. These took no more than 10 min. Turned out fucking great. The flash from the camera was a little much, but when I look at this pic I want to eat them again.

2QOomGUnE0EwC_a77Fm1VKNDsDE5CbVDdxdbITgiINbCVak3gGbr_YB6PqtUfp0twxlkF_uQ3FeRzWLY8zsYbTRRG00k2DaFe5cU1P8d1BOe4reZ-g1HsESZ7PUsjgW6pZ_3DjYYFWtOiz9LJfWFBX34EIDrv4pU4N_wlMbdzmivrmaY41DSGq2rvMKuxYylRwrugzfOiljvGw6N8VhNeXNwA57OI0b61v3OqRxwkiDkFNNcJbq-MCof8vy5fzTmPIEHGDBws_sSASqhnltzTaKh9IRDf4L6IrtHuUFNKvbRqSoFDVL7Yc3E26ZF7TT2mUp-A_z3z3mOF6eH0XnzCY61j3YA6nx59I_bQucAgOcyDsHYcxMjTPLwhGtMzFMCAjyRCcbQHip1qssSkuQgfOWbvj-d7QpSuV3d1wRCfp-IhQrOQp126rYSFgFdBo31fXqJW7ecu2yYoMfAZzGgXFIZDgV2LlMgMIBchwtK5p5378G8QKeKlwfaEfRY6IC-zTEilYTMBJk8bwh2z93KOZKpdwgZBqUneg3EyydNcdth5cOMQ_-WtOaIqSebXeSMtPp-IOiej5JhMIaNhHXQPLZqz4OT8Dp4gb4EfuzHpmkUQHJtcr3__6w4KYsz7HwrkPgH95jjafk8BN0smcgrS2td2YU1ayJL5rQeQ7YAg9Avs1GWpzNH0Nc=s1406-no

Those look fantastic. I usually keep the rack with 4 to 8 bones whole and just grill them like a ribeye with some aluminum over the bones so they don't burn off and slice them after resting. Never thought of doing it in the instant pot, will have to give it a go next time. Are those potatoes or grits you put them on?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
It seems I press a lot of citrus when I cook. I like fresh citrus boozy drinks. I like lime in my water. I've gone through a couple of those hand held presses.

I want one of those heavy duty manual hand presses. In my Amazon browsing ... they all look the exact fucking same, but different prices and reviews.

Is everyone just buying from China and slappin' their own logo on it?

1571413231685.png 1571413263260.png 1571413275325.png 1571413287591.png 1571413299718.png

^ each pic from a different Amazon listing

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Looks good. You sear them off after pressure cooker?

I actually sauteed them first for about 60 sec each side, then pressure cooked them for two min.

Those look fantastic. I usually keep the rack with 4 to 8 bones whole and just grill them like a ribeye with some aluminum over the bones so they don't burn off and slice them after resting. Never thought of doing it in the instant pot, will have to give it a go next time. Are those potatoes or grits you put them on?

I tried to get trendy and made a cauliflower puree. Didn't turn out great.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I make a really good cauliflower puree. Steam a head of cauliflower with 2-infinity cloves of garlic, depending on how badass you are. Throw in the food processor with 1 stick of butter, salt, pepper, and while it's pureeing add chicken stock until the consistency is what you want it to be. Tastes very good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's almost exactly what I did. But I added way less butter. That's probably my problem. When in doubt add more butter.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
fur sure, you gotta butter the fuck out of cauliflower. But tbh I prefer roasted cauliflower.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone doing something fancy for Thanksgiving? I've got a larger than normal group coming up and debating on what to do. Last year played it traditional with a smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberries etc. and it was good but fairly boring. The smoked turkey carcass making a stock for turkey chili, noodle soup and pot pies over the next few days ended up being enjoyed a lot more than the actual thanksgiving dinner. Not really sure what to do outside of smoking a huge amount of meat (turkey, goose, rib eye roast, leg of lamb, brisket, etc) and appropriate sides. Anyone ever do a turducken and can speak to if the prep work is worth it vs just enjoying the duck by itself?

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone doing something fancy for Thanksgiving? I've got a larger than normal group coming up and debating on what to do. Last year played it traditional with a smoked turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberries etc. and it was good but fairly boring. The smoked turkey carcass making a stock for turkey chili, noodle soup and pot pies over the next few days ended up being enjoyed a lot more than the actual thanksgiving dinner. Not really sure what to do outside of smoking a huge amount of meat (turkey, goose, rib eye roast, leg of lamb, brisket, etc) and appropriate sides. Anyone ever do a turducken and can speak to if the prep work is worth it vs just enjoying the duck by itself?
How timely!

and the first of the ?series?

• 1Like