Gravy's Cooking Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone have a rib rub they like? Hosting some friends on Monday and was going to smoke a bunch of baby back ribs and looking for something new. Plan on doing 12 all together split between the pellet grill and ceramic with a fruit blend on the pellets and pecan in the ceramic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

The nice thing about doing it yourself is you can leave the salt out so you can salt the meat in advance and then put the rub on when you're ready to cook. I had to get the rosemary and ginger powder from amazon but one recipe will last you quite a while or it does me at least.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so a cool thing i found out works with this egg rack
71NaysocCFL._AC_SX522_.jpg

(not the one i got, just for visual purposes)

i could stick drum sticks and wings in there, and all but the most emaciated wings won't fall through, the drummletes obviously will never fall through.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Jerky turned out pretty good. Still prefer sliced meat instead of ground, but I won't balk at free meat.

IMG_20200218_194643.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
I'd think old people would have a hard time chewing overcooked steak but ok.

Everyone I knew growing up ate steak rare or medium rare.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The only reason to eat burnt steak other than naturally liking it is if it's a really shitty cheap steak that is too tough to eat it without burning the fuck out of it

khorum

Murder Apologist
everyone your age?
Parents and adults ate it medium rare when we were kids. My dad and granddad ate it rare. It's some kinda midwestern thing I think, but so is SEARING the steak and resting it well so it doesn't bleed everywhere.

My dad would complain that the skirt steak in mexican food was always too chewy for him.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
ive explained this before, but the steak thing isnt a Trump thing, its an old guy thing. guys his age. not just Trump, but guys or gals of a certain age grew up eating steak well done along with every other meat, microbes and bacteria was a big thing back in the day. my mom and dad were this way growing up. i didnt eat a steak that wasnt cooked to fuck until i was an adult and bought one with my own money. i was with my dad and when i told the server, "medium rare", my dad looked at me like i had just lost my fucking mind. but yeah, even if it wasnt an old guy thing, its still Trump's business how he eats his fucking steak and its not going to lose him any support even if he preferred to eat a cow while it was still alive.

I honestly don't think its an age thing. I think its a poor/rich thing. My parents and grandparents are the same way, they eat charcoal and slather it with A1 "thick and hearty", which is brown ketchup. But they did that because they had to buy old, cheap steak and older steak can be dangerous and tough if you don't nuke it from orbit. You might see it more in older folks because of the great depression but I think its a poverty thing.

With Trump I think its as Aray said, he's just a germaphobe, the idea of seeing blood on his food probably skeeves him.

• 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK. My grandfather grew up hating two things. Turkey and beef. (he was born 1923).

This was because Turkey for Thanksgiving was always cooked to death back in the early 20th century such that you had to smother it in gravy to actually eat it. Beef was cooked to death every time he ever had it.

This persisted throughout his life and even though he could afford better and you could make juicy turkey he simply wouldn't eat it. Dunno how it is for Trump but this is not an uncommon experience.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I honestly don't think its an age thing. I think its a poor/rich thing. My parents and grandparents are the same way, they eat charcoal and slather it with A1 "thick and hearty", which is brown ketchup. But they did that because they had to buy old, cheap steak and older steak can be dangerous and tough if you don't nuke it from orbit. You might see it more in older folks because of the great depression but I think its a poverty thing.

With Trump I think its as Aray said, he's just a germaphobe, the idea of seeing blood on his food probably skeeves him.

The generation before me in my family, with a couple exceptions, all eat well done steak. I think this is because they all grew up in the Phillippines where they were suspect of anything rare'ish. I didn't eat anything but well done steak growing up. I mean I prefer med. rare now, but I am freaked out by any pink in my pork or chicken.

iannis

Musty Nester
The generation before me in my family, with a couple exceptions, all eat well done steak. I think this is because they all grew up in the Phillippines where they were suspect of anything rare'ish. I didn't eat anything but well done steak growing up. I mean I prefer med. rare now, but I am freaked out by any pink in my pork or chicken.
Eww. Pink in chicken is nasty. I've had that once, and not on purpose.

Under done pig will give you the crazy shits. Trichonosis isn't a huge concern with the way we farm pigs anymore, but the twelve Hour explosive shits still are.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
sous-vide-que-chickens.jpg

Pink chicken is fooking raw, but sous vide chicken at 145 is amazing but so close to the cusp of being under that i prefer 150 because i cant shake the feeling i undercooked it, even tho that's impossible

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories

Goatface

didn't ordering rare/med rare become popular after the 70's. i only recall being asked done or well done as a kid.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
sous-vide-que-chickens.jpg

Pink chicken is fooking raw, but sous vide chicken at 145 is amazing but so close to the cusp of being under that i prefer 150 because i cant shake the feeling i undercooked it, even tho that's impossible
my sous vide pot has been running nearly 24/7 on this carnivore died, lulz i actually have different meats in the pot for different days cooking for different hours

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Eww. Pink in chicken is nasty. I've had that once, and not on purpose.

Under done pig will give you the crazy shits. Trichonosis isn't a huge concern with the way we farm pigs anymore, but the twelve Hour explosive shits still are.

INB4 sous vide derail.

Edit

giphy.gif

• 3Worf

Quaid

Trump's Staff
doneness temps below 160f are for cucks and communist sympathizers

the blood of lesser beings dilutes your virility

your decadence turns my stomach

934A9D09-B579-41C0-A2DB-6D4851694633.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
doneness temps below 160f are for cucks and communist sympathizers

the blood of lesser beings dilutes your virility

your decadence turns my stomach

View attachment 250577
Baked ribeye works in the same way that ribs work, but if you can't appreciate medium rare steak and a variety of other properly cooked meat, sucks to be you