Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
can't you call dibs? my publix lets me call dibs on fried chicken and writes my name down
Not that I’m aware of, pretty sure they’re just brought out in batches and placed on the heated case/display thing.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Hell that's a great deal. Sausage has jumped up big time, but I guess everything has. What brand is it?

I used to always buy Burton Sausage Company, hell I've been to their building in Burton, but I think they went out of business due to covid.
Dang, you guys had me worried for a second so I checked on my local butcher. Prices have gone up but not a lot, also they don't have a website. Time to make a run and fill the freezer again.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Dang, you guys had me worried for a second so I checked on my local butcher. Prices have gone up but not a lot, also they don't have a website. Time to make a run and fill the freezer again.
If you've got a good local butcher, they always have the best sausage. I know a few small Texas town spots where I get German / Czech stuff with a coarse grind. There's a place in Brenham, where we always got our deer processed, and they make some of the best sausage I've ever had. They'll even take the whole links, smokem and then dry them out, and it's wonderful for charcuterie with a cheese plate. Very shelf stable dry sausage. Anytime I go through there I'll stop and get a few.

Step dad shot an elk before or he passed away, God probably half the damn thing turned into sage and garlic sausage, but man was it a good few years. Anytime you fired up the grill you always pull the link of sausage out of the freezer and tossed her on.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Went out over the weekend to a place it's been a while since I was in last. Ordered chicken fried steak and eggs. the steak, eggs, and hash browns were all solid but nothing fancy. The gravy was the consistency of mash potatoes.

Should have been points off, but oddly it kind of worked in a WTF sort of way. I do wonder how do you fuck up sysco canned country gravy that bad though?

1664840544584.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Because they prolly made the shit from scratch and added too much flour. Shit is easy to fuck up. First time I made some, same thing happened, was like mashed potatoe...

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Went out over the weekend to a place it's been a while since I was in last. Ordered chicken fried steak and eggs. the steak, eggs, and hash browns were all solid but nothing fancy. The gravy was the consistency of mash potatoes.

Should have been points off, but oddly it kind of worked in a WTF sort of way. I do wonder how do you fuck up sysco canned country gravy that bad though?

View attachment 436090

You fuck up canned gravy by using canned gravy. That isn't hard to make, and if it's from a can I doubt very much I'm going to like it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Because they prolly made the shit from scratch and added too much flour. Shit is easy to fuck up. First time I made some, same thing happened, was like mashed potatoe...
you will roux the day...

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Rimshot
Reactions: 7 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Based on the everything else about the place, I'd be double the shocked they made/tried to make it from scratch. I only expect soo much from random bar kitchens. I guess I'd expect it to taste of uncooked flour too if it was "too much flour". No worries

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe you're supposed to thin gravy from a can? Can't say I've ever opened a can but it brings forth images of some of the more white trash people I know sitting in their trailer eating gelatinous country gravy straight from the can.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
They probably had a hot container of gravy that got too low and kept reducing down. Don't stir or thin or replenish often enough it can happen.

Same would happen at my mom's seafood cafe. I'd go help clean after dinner service and sometimes the last few cups of clam chowder was cooked down into a very thick, almost gravy consistency. Was actually really pretty good.

A local restaurant made a clam chowder gravy as a special that looked pretty food so been meaning to try doing it myself over cheddar bay biscuits.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
recently bought the kahuna xl, it's much better than the old burner i used last time that was intended for crab boils
f394016512d9db755dd750f19ec330d4.png

its been jumping from 150 to 118 every other day

the wok arms are actually too wide for my wok, i'm pretty sure it's intended for a 24" wok, which is pretty huge, probably gonna just end up taking them off, and i'll be even closer to the flame.

power delivery is pretty amazing, my induction wok can bring to boil 2cups of water in 90s, putting it on the burner, it's 20s

i just really hate cooking outside right now w/ all them dar bugs in tn, i bought aa weber grill cover to put over it to protect it from rust

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
recently bought the kahuna xl, it's much better than the old burner i used last time that was intended for crab boils
f394016512d9db755dd750f19ec330d4.png

its been jumping from 150 to 118 every other day

the wok arms are actually too wide for my wok, i'm pretty sure it's intended for a 24" wok, which is pretty huge, probably gonna just end up taking them off, and i'll be even closer to the flame.

power delivery is pretty amazing, my induction wok can bring to boil 2cups of water in 90s, putting it on the burner, it's 20s

i just really hate cooking outside right now w/ all them dar bugs in tn, i bought aa weber grill cover to put over it to protect it from rust
Do you have like 3 garages to put all the shit you buy?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users