Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
10k steps a day? 2300 is roughly a mile isnt it? I aint trying to go back in the military - I may be a gamer but Im no lard ass lol.

LiquidDeath LiquidDeath - The Keto Twins are fucking terrible cooks - I watched a handful of videos because I couldnt stop watching them failboat to the finish line lol. But their stuff still looked delicious, surprisingly.
wth

these bitches look sickly, with those droopy ass eyes

are they some kind of asian?

why their chins look like a jawa sand crawler?
Star_Wars_Sandcrawler.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
wth

these bitches look sickly, with those droopy ass eyes

are they some kind of asian?

why their chins look like a jawa sand crawler?
Star_Wars_Sandcrawler.png
They used to be very fat and now they are approximately normal sized after doing keto for a long time. They still are full of excess skin due to obesity.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They used to be very fat and now they are approximately normal sized after doing keto for a long time. They still are full of excess skin due to obesity.
Good for them though. It takes a lot of willpower and work to cut weight, especially if youre a lifetime fattie like they prob were. The skin will come off eventually. At leas I think it will lol.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good for them though. It takes a lot of willpower and work to cut weight, especially if youre a lifetime fattie like they prob were. The skin will come off eventually. At leas I think it will lol.

Depends how much it stretched and for how long. Ethan Suplee is an example of a 400+ pound guy who worked his ass off for over a decade to drop to ~260 and he's still got a ton of excess skin that he says likely will never go away. But, he's healthy now.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Caramelized pearl onions (recipe from Big Oven) are a new favorite.
Highly recommended.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>

Easy-Glazed Pearl Onions​

INGREDIENTS

16 oz Frozen pearl onions
2 tb Vegetable oil
3 tb Sugar
1 1/2 c Beef stock
4 tb Red wine vinegar
Salt
Black Pepper

PREPARATION

RINSE THE ONIONS IN A strainer, just to separate them and remove extra ice. Blot them on paper towels. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over high heat.
When it is hot, add the onions and sugar and continue cooking for 5 minutes, shaking often, until the onions are lightly colored.
Add the beef stock, adjust the heat to medium-high, and continue cooking until the liquid is almost completely evaporated, about 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, cook for 30 seconds, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Adding sugar to caramelized onions seems weird. Just serve as is, like a side?
We had it as a side along with garlic/sour cream mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus and surf turf combo of blackened salmon and a perfectly med rare steak.
The next day, I ate them mixed into the potatoes. The onions had a depth of flavor savory and sweet goodness

• 3Like
  • 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 4 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Never tried to caramelize them, didn't think that was a factor. My only interaction with pearl onions are a nightmarish childhood being raised by parents with chiefly British cooking "skills". And my wife tried adding them to stew recently. I think there's some promise there in terms of convenience, but she's yet to get them timing right. They either end up mushy or undercooked.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Easy-Glazed Pearl Onions​

INGREDIENTS

16 oz Frozen pearl onions
2 tb Vegetable oil
3 tb Sugar
1 1/2 c Beef stock
4 tb Red wine vinegar
Salt
Black Pepper

PREPARATION

RINSE THE ONIONS IN A strainer, just to separate them and remove extra ice. Blot them on paper towels. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over high heat.
When it is hot, add the onions and sugar and continue cooking for 5 minutes, shaking often, until the onions are lightly colored.
Add the beef stock, adjust the heat to medium-high, and continue cooking until the liquid is almost completely evaporated, about 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, cook for 30 seconds, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

I use a similar method for pearl / regular onions, just swapping out the vinegar for whatever wine I have on hand, splash of Worcestershire, and a little bit of herbs fresh or dry. Little thyme or a sprig of rosemary just gives it a bit more balance. Finish with a tablespoon or two of butter.

You can do the same with baby bellas halfed or quartered depending on size, but the cooking time isn't as long .

Sounds like my kinda meal though. Glad it turned out great.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What are you implying here?
That British cooking is dogshit?

That's hardly a new or shocking statement to make

British cuisine is at least one tier below the food I cook, and I put cottage cheese in lasagna

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Caramelizing is what needs to happen if you want to make good french onion soup from scratch. I use red onions about 6 huge ones. It takes forever to actually caramelize them, like literally a hour. Never used sugar but Ive read places that this is what you add to make it all go faster. Rest of the soup is literally like 15 min.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This one's for you BoozeCube BoozeCube

Black Bean Dip with Thai Chilis to really amp up the heat and flavor. It's perfection. Overall it makes about 4 cups of dip. Good amount for a party tray or something.

1. 1.5 cups of dry black beans -> Soak overnight then boil until soft. (if you must used canned get the low sodium kind as you don't want this too salty to overwhelm the other flavors).
  2. Chop up half a white onion.
  3. Chop up a palmful of thai chilis, or more if you want..
  4. Handful of Cilantro.
  5. Spoon of minced garlic.
  6. Sautee the garlic, onion, and thai chilis until the onion and chilis are soft.
  7. Put the beans and sautee into a blender or food processor. Add some salt, lime juice, and a little water.
  8. Blend.
  9. If its too thick add a little more water until its good dipping texture.
  10. Chill it in the fridge for a few hours to let the chili oils set in.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Soygen Soygen

It's once again time for Big Ern's Cooking Thread Roulette!

Am I posting garbage? Am I posting something worthwhile? WHO KNOWS?!?

On the up side, there's no cottage cheese in *THIS* lasagna!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wife:
"i want fried rice"

me:
"ok wait until it stops raining"

wife:
"wut?"

• 1Worf