Gravy's Cooking Thread

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I love when a burger is relatively loosely packed so it was awesome being able to control that.
Is this the first time something of your has been loosely packed?

I like my ketchup BBQ recipe. It takes 10 mins to make and it beats everything you can buy in a bottle at the store*

*in Canada
Bro, do you even sauce?

arthur_bryants_bbq_sauce.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I kinda feel like the brine from jalapenos would make an awesome bbq sauce, but I can't figure out if the salt content would ruin the result. I'm honestly just trying to come up with ways to use the brine, feels like such a waste tossing that after eating the jalapenos(straight from the jar).
I bet drinking that would be a great hangover cure

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I decided to back up the BBQ truck last night, and made my first batch of ketchup. It's definitely close enough I can use it for a base for BBQ, but I'll be tweaking it. It called for ground clove, and I didn't have any so I used allspice; that will be the first tweak, even though I know allspice is common in some BBQ.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Is Jalapeno seasoning something that's easy to find? I've never heard of it and it's in that rib recipe.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Stuff I still want in my kitchen:
*A proper sous vide
*Pressure cooker
*VitaMix
*Food processor
*Mandolin
*Dutch oven

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have a food processor and I almost never use it, unfortunately. Something I shall have to remedy. Same with the mandolin.

I do want a dutch oven, pressure cooker, and sous vide.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Dutch ovens are a pain in the ass to season and maintain. They do make some good food though.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/dutch-ovens
I've had one for 15+ years now and only had it go 'sour' once because I cooked something really acidic and it fucked up the seasoning. Reseasoned it, and better than new.

Edit: Mandolins are a pain in the ass in my mind. Too much set up and clean up. I still use mine occasionally but it has to be for a large quantity of something.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my mandolin freaks me out, to the point, it's in deep storage, plus i didn't see a need for it (of course cooking en mass), atm i'll always just use the knife for most everything, just keep it razor sharp.

i'm the one to use a food processor for ground meat, true it's not as good as the kitchen attachment, and you get the "smearing" meat at the bottom.

i know ppl use it to make breads and such (i haven't tried i don't bake, and if i do bake bread i use 5minute bread)

and for sauces, or emulsifying? cuz it has that little oil hole on top to pour oil in. (not really into sauces)

anyone got any other uses for food processor?

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
I use the shredding attachment on my food processor for grating large quantities of cheese or for grating up the 2lb block of parmigiano-reggiano that we go through every month and a half. Otherwise I wouldn't miss not having one.

Also +1 for a good enameled dutch oven. That shit stays out at my house since we use it so often.

The Master

Bronze Squire
In most cases I don't use my food processor day-to-day, but I use it every week at least. I make cashew butter from scratch every week. If I am having a bigger dinner I end up using it for prep (like 6+ people to feed, it ends up being a time saver). Mine has two work bowls though, which helps if I want to do a smaller thing. I'll make cheese Terrines, it is great for that and you'd never want to do that by hand.

If you're literally only using it to grate cheese, I'd sell it and get the stand mixer attachment that does grating. Way less space.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I use the food processor pretty regularly for slicing/shredding and making pesto. I make dough with it until I get a Kitchenaid, though I've found that doing dough by hand is sometimes easier than the Cuisinart.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
spent the weekend cooking for 20 women, my wife was in charge of hosting a bridal shower, and volunteered me to cook, i don't even host parties, and the most i ever cooked for was a few ppl and really with 2 big dishes, not catering. couldn't refuse the mom to be since like she planned our honeymoon for us and you know friend stuff, so it was

cucumber toasties
chicken satay
boudin balls

i went too neutral on the chicken satay, it only had a hint of curry. everyone gobbled up the boudin balls. what are boudin balls? hell i didn't know until a few weeks ago, we couldn't figure out a good 3rd dish and some cooking show we saw a contestant make it, so we tried it.