Grim Dawn

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They just announced a new expansion, Forgotten Gods, coming in the 2nd half of the year. Not much details yet but that's nice.
attachment.php

Grim Misadventure #133: Announcing... - Grim Dawn Forums

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I hope they cut out the middle difficulty and streamline the leveling process a bit, once you finish the story it's mostly just screwing around and running all the skill/attribute point quests

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nice. one of my favorite games. They are also working on a new game too. Good to see this company make some cash.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Along with quality of life features, you will pursue new powers, hundreds of new Unique items and Monster Infrequents and more! Battle dozens of new foes across new dungeons and a new gameplay mode which we’ll be discussing in detail in the coming months!

In short, Forgotten Gods will be another thrilling densely-packed addition to the critically acclaimed Grim Dawn and its first expansion, Ashes of Malmouth.

so looks like new classes? New gameplay mode? Maybe finally some end game shit?

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It doesn't say anything about classes. And with how close this is dropping to AoM, I doubt they will add any.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well find out more on the 19th. But if modders can add new classes, im not sure why it would be so hard for them to do so. Thats what I gathered from the "pursue new powers" comment.

Nevertheless, it should be cool. Looking forward to this one. I loved Grim dawn from the class design, items all the way down to the moody music and pretty challenging game play compared to other arpg.

Citz

Silver Squire
"Pursue new powers" could also mean some kind of alternate advancement. Something extra to constellation and classes.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hell yeah, just got back into this last week to check out Malmouth. This fall will be a good time to get back into again after summe, which shits all over my gaming time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I hope they cut out the middle difficulty and streamline the leveling process a bit, once you finish the story it's mostly just screwing around and running all the skill/attribute point quests
I do assume they'll drop a difficulty, there were people asking for it already with AoM, because if you do AoM on normal and on expert(or whatever the name of the 2nd diff is), you can basically more or less hit close to 100 already. It made sense to have Nemesis difficulty for like endgame players and stuff, but it probably doesn't need to be part of the leveling process, especially with the resist hit which makes it annoying if you haven't been paying attention to your reputations. Just have the leveling be the game twice and the last difficulty a toggle for more gear for people who want to have more difficulty and let people farm on Expert at 100 if they don't want to bother optimizing their builds and shit.

At least that's how I think they should do it, it's more casual friendly, it's less annoying for everyone(only play the game twice) and with all the new areas it should be pretty easy to do too, normal goes up to 60 or 70, then expert goes to 100, all new expansions zones scale to 100 so they can all be used to farm, simple and easy.

As for new classes I agree that it doesn't seem it'll be the case, although it's possible. It seems more like they have an additional system for stuff, maybe some items that level with you and shit like that to add even more customization, or maybe letting you put some class skills on gear to be used without putting points in it, this type of stuff rather than new classes. Don't think it's a big issue as long as they add a few new things to existing classes.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Agree with the difficulty, playing through it three times gets tedious. Have Normal with the Veteran toggle like they do now, then Elite with an Ultimate toggle. Bump up faction gains by 30% to make up for the play through loss. This will be almost required imo, if they add a full act especially, there's just so much content now.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I need to play this again. How viable are pet classes/builds? Or is there a noob friendly build that is recommended?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I need to play this again. How viable are pet classes/builds? Or is there a noob friendly build that is recommended?
Pet builds are very strong and not too gear intensive either so good starter builds like in most games like this. There are guides on the official forums, look for necro/occultist or shaman/occultist pet builds mostly. You can kinda respec how you want so don't hesitate skilling stuff up for leveling even if it's not in the guide, but guides are good to figure out basic constellation setups since that shit's a mess to navigate without knowing what to look for.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Like he said, necro/occultist or shaman/occultist. I’ve played both, they’re similar in play style. Necro if you want a ton of pets, shaman if you want fewer but stronger pets. I like the necro better personally, though the shaman feels more survivable.

Unimaginative Skelemancer Cabalist - Grim Dawn Forums

Is the current necro build I’m using. I don’t remember my shaman build, been a while.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
....figure out basic constellation setups since that shit's a mess to navigate without knowing what to look for.

Thats one thing I wish they would redo. Unless you have been playing this game for ever, its hard as hell to navigate, especially without a search feature of any kind. Youre just stuck there lookin through 100 nodes trying to figure out the next best step.

As for pet builds, Aaron, look for items with
+pet shit on them. Like resists, life, dmg. I think one of the first camps, maybe the Rovers? in act 2 has good shit for pet classes to get you started. (need faction but this is easily done by couple of runs through steps of torment)

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Like he said, necro/occultist or shaman/occultist. I’ve played both, they’re similar in play style. Necro if you want a ton of pets, shaman if you want fewer but stronger pets. I like the necro better personally, though the shaman feels more survivable.

Unimaginative Skelemancer Cabalist - Grim Dawn Forums

Is the current necro build I’m using. I don’t remember my shaman build, been a while.

I believe this is the same build I used when AoM came out for a new run through. It mows through mobs. Can be a little boring or passive feeling as your pets do most of the work for you. Much more passive than say an Arcanist build or something. Still great fun though, it was my 3rd character I've played through and it was actually a nice change to not have to be super active on hotkeys non-stop.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thats one thing I wish they would redo. Unless you have been playing this game for ever, its hard as hell to navigate, especially without a search feature of any kind. Youre just stuck there lookin through 100 nodes trying to figure out the next best step.

As for pet builds, Aaron, look for items with
+pet shit on them. Like resists, life, dmg. I think one of the first camps, maybe the Rovers? in act 2 has good shit for pet classes to get you started. (need faction but this is easily done by couple of runs through steps of torment)
There's a 3rd party website to make your builds with better features but it's still a mess, the concept is convoluted as fuck in general. As daunting as the skill tree in PoE is, it's fairly simple, you get one point, you put a point in something next to something else you took before. There's various paths and optimization but if you're a Witch and want Mind over Matter, it's very clear how to get it.

The devotion shit has the added layer of need the required amount of colored points to put points into the next constellation and every constellation gives different amounts and different colors and then there's a lot of optimization by taking like some constellation to afford another then unspecing out of the first because the 2nd gives you enough points to activate itself.

And then it's really hard to tell what is even good. PoE keystones are simple enough at a look, Cannot be Stunned but Cannot Crit or Reduces your life to 1 max but Chaos Immunity and Chaos doesn't pierce ES anymore. While a lot of the big constellation stuff is like some proc that does 5things but you can't really tell what it's good for because you don't know if it's a pbaoe, a projectile, what size it has and then you can only see the lvl 1 of it so you don't know how well it scales or not plus you have to think about how many of these procs you get because you have to associate them to an active skill so you have to plan for that.

It's kinda varied and adds some nice things to an otherwise bland skill system but it's really super complex for a new player other than putting points in random shit or following a guide.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There's a 3rd party website to make your builds with better features but it's still a mess, the concept is convoluted as fuck in general. As daunting as the skill tree in PoE is, it's fairly simple, you get one point, you put a point in something next to something else you took before. There's various paths and optimization but if you're a Witch and want Mind over Matter, it's very clear how to get it.

The devotion shit has the added layer of need the required amount of colored points to put points into the next constellation and every constellation gives different amounts and different colors and then there's a lot of optimization by taking like some constellation to afford another then unspecing out of the first because the 2nd gives you enough points to activate itself.

And then it's really hard to tell what is even good. PoE keystones are simple enough at a look, Cannot be Stunned but Cannot Crit or Reduces your life to 1 max but Chaos Immunity and Chaos doesn't pierce ES anymore. While a lot of the big constellation stuff is like some proc that does 5things but you can't really tell what it's good for because you don't know if it's a pbaoe, a projectile, what size it has and then you can only see the lvl 1 of it so you don't know how well it scales or not plus you have to think about how many of these procs you get because you have to associate them to an active skill so you have to plan for that.

It's kinda varied and adds some nice things to an otherwise bland skill system but it's really super complex for a new player other than putting points in random shit or following a guide.

Still this game is like 1/16 the overall complexity of poe. It could take a person like 2 leagues to finally let all that poe shit sink in. I'm still learning shit 4 leagues in, like I saw a streamer do some obscure vendor recipe just last week.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Still this game is like 1/16 the overall complexity of poe. It could take a person like 2 leagues to finally let all that poe shit sink in. I'm still learning shit 4 leagues in, like I saw a streamer do some obscure vendor recipe just last week.

It's true. I still don't understand how to craft correctly in PoE which is why I skipped SSF this league, but Grim Dawn has Shaman primal strike/savagery which is like my favorite build in any ARPG. So satisfying.

• 1Solidarity