Grim Dawn

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Still this game is like 1/16 the overall complexity of poe. It could take a person like 2 leagues to finally let all that poe shit sink in. I'm still learning shit 4 leagues in, like I saw a streamer do some obscure vendor recipe just last week.
Yeah I mean PoE has a lot of shit going on for sure but I feel it's often more interesting interactions and ideas rather than obtuse systems. Like all the systems are simple to use, they just have a lot of depth so the complexity comes from how you combine things. There are some exceptions though, like vendor recipes are some of the fuckiest shit in poe until someone tell you "just craft a +1 fire wand to level" and you find the wiki page for them, and the new elder/shaper stuff is pretty annoying to understand at first too.

The devotion could really be simplified by making tiers and not having random constellations giving and requiring inconsistent amount of points, and the tooltip for stuff should specify what type of aoe it is(pbaoe, aoe centered on target, aoe centered on cursor, projectiles) so you don't have to test everything.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The devotion thing does suck. I don’t even try to figure out myself, I just follow a guide. I don’t have time for that crap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I wouldnt even mind them if they were given to us in a more linear tree fashion, so you know exactly what opens up when, and yeah, also what Pyros said, becayuse its true, none fo those abilities are explained really well, that goes for core abilities on the skill tree as well.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Installed this last night and found I had a lvl 16 occultist shaman pet dude already. Didn't remember making him, but instead of starting afresh I decided to try him out again and immediately liked it. Felt pretty damn good playing, the game looks and feels good. The only problem as others have mentioned is when I clicked that new Devotion button and exclaimed "Fuck me!" I ended up accidentally clicking on The Lion, just to the right side, but I think I lucked out since it did give some pet bonuses. Still, it looks like it could use some work. A toggle filter where you select what bonuses you want (like pet damage) and all the constellations that give that are highlighted would be awesome.

A question about the DLCs, I saw there are three out now (on Steam), and I don't have any. Are they must haves, buy on sale, or ignore?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Installed this last night and found I had a lvl 16 occultist shaman pet dude already. Didn't remember making him, but instead of starting afresh I decided to try him out again and immediately liked it. Felt pretty damn good playing, the game looks and feels good. The only problem as others have mentioned is when I clicked that new Devotion button and exclaimed "Fuck me!" I ended up accidentally clicking on The Lion, just to the right side, but I think I lucked out since it did give some pet bonuses. Still, it looks like it could use some work. A toggle filter where you select what bonuses you want (like pet damage) and all the constellations that give that are highlighted would be awesome.

A question about the DLCs, I saw there are three out now (on Steam), and I don't have any. Are they must haves, buy on sale, or ignore?

Ashes of Malmouth is a must have imo, it’s a lot of content.

The crucible is an entirely different game mode, where waves upon waves spawn and you try to go as far as you can. If you enjoy combat it’s right up your alley. If you enjoy the exploring, quest, and story aspects more, sticking with the main game is fine. I play it once in a while, it’s a nice break and a good way to grind exp and loot.

The loyalist pack is just item skins. I think it’s retarded but some people are into that shit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Crucible is also nice to start a character with you think youre gonna play to end, and get like 6-8 devotion points right away. Its a nice head start. youre probably going to out level act one that way, but its well worth the power gain of the 8 points in devos plus some gear too. But its definitely not mandatory or needed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I booted this up again last night, have not played since November. I left my Cabalist right outside of Tomb of the Watchers, so I went in and cleaned up Loghorrean easily. Now I need to farm rep in Devil's Crossing to get the Poison / Acid resistance augments for rings and amulets because I'm sitting at 0% for that one resist, and the first enemy for AoM expansion crushed me.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That ones easy to boost bro. The yellow bottle augment.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I honestly did not really care for the expansion, AOM, The first zones are shit, tons of those flours which are jsut annoying. Tons of running around in a huge maze of a swamp. And the rest of the expansion in Malmouth itself is just a bunch of corridors through houses which was also a pain in the ass, like a rats maze. Plus tons of tanky mobs, aether Hulks? that rushed you all the fucking time.

Evernothing

That ones easy to boost bro. The yellow bottle augment.

Yeah, I was looking at Antivenom Salve with +20% acid/poison resistance. But, I also have 0% Bleeding res on my current character, and the Slith Venom from Devil's Crossing rep gives +15% to both Bleeding and Acid/Poison. I read that AoM has lots of bleed as well in the early parts.

Last edited:

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I honestly did not really care for the expansion, AOM, The first zones are shit, tons of those flours which are jsut annoying. Tons of running around in a huge maze of a swamp. And the rest of the expansion in Malmouth itself is just a bunch of corridors through houses which was also a pain in the ass, like a rats maze. Plus tons of tanky mobs, aether Hulks? that rushed you all the fucking time.
I thought they will make retaking the city a bit non-linear, where your forward base develops based on what and who you rescue, but eventually it's just a linear railroad till the end. And the last zone was pretty underwhelming. Like, it's still better than vanilla, but it's hardly great. And Crate's idea of random levels being just a pile of rocks blocking one or another hallway is a joke. If the game had random levels, there'd be a lot more replayability.

Evernothing

gdx2.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I thought they will make retaking the city a bit non-linear, where your forward base develops based on what and who you rescue, but eventually it's just a linear railroad till the end. And the last zone was pretty underwhelming. Like, it's still better than vanilla, but it's hardly great. And Crate's idea of random levels being just a pile of rocks blocking one or another hallway is a joke. If the game had random levels, there'd be a lot more replayability.

Yeah the rocks thing is just lame. All it does is make it so you can’t always use the shortest path through a dungeon. You can still always clear every square inch of you want cause nothings ever truely blocked. Since they don’t do random, I think it would be cool to have a dungeon with forking paths that truest get blocked off, so each time you go through is at least a little different.

I still enjoy the farming, but some sort of random dungeons would be great.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems weird that you wouldn't just be able to do expansion 2 stuff without expansion 1. Isn't it happening already atm with vanilla and expansion, where vanilla gets the various core changes to the game like new devotions and balance changes to skills, new UI options and what not? And then you have the expansion 1 version with obviously all the new class stuff. Maybe it's just annoying to maintain an additional version with vanilla+expansion 2 only, when they're already going to have to maintain vanilla, vanilla+exp1 and vanilla+exp 1&2?

Don't care too much since I already have AoM just seems a bit curious.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider

I agree 100%. Playing through the expansion seemed like more of a chore than fun for me. I've tried to like this game (I really tried) as it does have some interesting concepts, but it just feels so clunky and not very fun compared to other options out there (PoE and yes D3).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh D3 to me feels generic and the loot is not that fun, again generic, especially when leveling. Plus their build diversity is pretty lacking compared to GD and PoE. At least this game has some fun loot. PoE has some fun moments and is a great game, but having played like 3 leagues now, it gets old when rolling 4-6 characters per league ( I usually play them to 90ish than quit). I do like the trading and stuff, but now pretty much play every other league.

Evernothing

Well, I'm glad I did the DC faction for the Poison resist. Between the faction augments and Antivenom Salve I got Bleeding to 45% and Poison to 80%. Gloomwald and Ugdenbog were a breeze last night. I should hit 50 tonight. Lots of new items to equip when that happens.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I'm glad I did the DC faction for the Poison resist. Between the faction augments and Antivenom Salve I got Bleeding to 45% and Poison to 80%. Gloomwald and Ugdenbog were a breeze last night. I should hit 50 tonight. Lots of new items to equip when that happens.

50 is when purple loot starts dropping too. Feels good when you see one.