Grim Dawn

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What does the endgame on this look like?

Farming for gear for other builds. Farming complete sets. Crafting. “Roguelike” dungeons for farming. A randomized rift type farming thing.

It’s basically just a farm and hoard gear and try new builds game at the end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played this for about 40 minutes 5yrs ago, at the time I didn't care how dated the game looked, so stopped playing to go do other stuff. Did the DLC's ever make the game look better?

They have done a lot of graphics tweaks, lots of art assets added, spell effects redone, lighting redone, some mobs redone in the past five years. If it was just the art style you didn’t like, that hasn’t changed much. The graphics have improved quite a bit since back then, but the game is pretty old so they still look dated but nothing crazy, I see games in early access right now that look much worse/dated.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
What does the endgame on this look like?

Endgame is beating the bosses, then the Elite bosses some of which are pretty hard to kill. SR runs where you can push your build to its limits. SR runs are much faster to gear new characters as you get an insane amount of loot. Some bosses are worth farming for their drops still as they have their own loot tables.

There's a stash expansion mod, make sure you get that so you can keep all the drops.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Played this for about 40 minutes 5yrs ago, at the time I didn't care how dated the game looked, so stopped playing to go do other stuff. Did the DLC's ever make the game look better?

You might check out some recent vids or a twitch stream to get an idea of how it looks now.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Started looking for a beginner build again today. The few I had saved I lost when the forum was down and changed over. I seem to recall it was some 2 handed mace build but the class escapes me. It really doesn't matter. I know I don't want a pet build, never cared for them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Started looking for a beginner build again today. The few I had saved I lost when the forum was down and changed over. I seem to recall it was some 2 handed mace build but the class escapes me. It really doesn't matter. I know I don't want a pet build, never cared for them.
Shaman probably with wild strike or whatever it's called, lightning based stuff. Can do fire oathkeeper stuff with the expansion too though I had one like that it was pretty good(but it was kinda reliant on a 2H unique mace I got before I rolled it, was like cyclone+a bunch of procs+big 2H damage).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Oathkeeper +almost anything is really strong. Im not sure if he got nerfed along the way, but back when the expansion was new there were some really powerful builds.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Let me log in I think I have the one I started still. I don't have forgotten gods yet. Just AoM. Looks like soldier and shaman lighting, very low. I would have to start over I didn't get far and forgot much of the game.

Last edited:

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah does anyone have a good spin to win starter build? I’ve decided I’m gonna put a few months into this. Playing the economy in PoE is not really how I like to spend my gametime so i need a break.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
2-h shaman and soldier is called Warden I think? Maybe, can't remember. Anyway, that's my first and main build, and I can say that it will definitely take you through the whole game pretty easily. I didn't focus on lightning, although for the life of me I can't remember what I did focus on... I know I used the shaman version of cadence, and no pets, and a ton of my damage was from the constellation skills.

One thing to keep in mind for those of you just sort of winging it and not following a guide, is that you can quickly overwhelm yourself with too many skills. Both in number of buttons to actually press and watering down their effectiveness. Some of my best builds only had 3-4 active skills, and a fuckload of passives and procs. Speaking of procs, you'll see skills that say stuff like "activates off primary attack with 12% chance." You can have a bunch of those, but they are additive, so you don't want to go over 100% proc chance or you are losing something. That's where you might not level a particular skill all the way to soft/hard cap, because anything over 100% total is wasted. Sure, it might not do as much damage as putting more points into it, but everything I've read is pretty hardline about over 100% being a waste of points.

I'm actually sort of jealous of you guys that get to experience this game from the beginning. This is one of my favorite games of all time, but I've played it so much that it doesn't spark much joy anymore.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah does anyone have a good spin to win starter build? I’ve decided I’m gonna put a few months into this. Playing the economy in PoE is not really how I like to spend my gametime so i need a break.

From what I remember spin to win is not really good until endish game when you get a good weapon and some gear. You can always give it a try though. Captain america type play style with oathkeeper was better IMO, especially in early game.

You can always check the GD forums though. Keep in mind some of those builds on there are end game only type builds with gear sets and whatnot.

dizzie

Triggered Happy

Pet builds in GD aren't like they are in other games, you have to be quite proactive with them and cast loads of stuff and move them around to stop them from getting nuked. I don't think they are that strong early on, its' not until end game that they really shine.

If you're new, playing melee and you have the FG expansion you can pick up the totally normal shield (which is actually a mace) on each difficulty just by zoning into the conclave area and smashing an urn.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
2-h shaman and soldier is called Warden I think? Maybe, can't remember. Anyway, that's my first and main build, and I can say that it will definitely take you through the whole game pretty easily. I didn't focus on lightning, although for the life of me I can't remember what I did focus on... I know I used the shaman version of cadence, and no pets, and a ton of my damage was from the constellation skills.

One thing to keep in mind for those of you just sort of winging it and not following a guide, is that you can quickly overwhelm yourself with too many skills. Both in number of buttons to actually press and watering down their effectiveness. Some of my best builds only had 3-4 active skills, and a fuckload of passives and procs. Speaking of procs, you'll see skills that say stuff like "activates off primary attack with 12% chance." You can have a bunch of those, but they are additive, so you don't want to go over 100% proc chance or you are losing something. That's where you might not level a particular skill all the way to soft/hard cap, because anything over 100% total is wasted. Sure, it might not do as much damage as putting more points into it, but everything I've read is pretty hardline about over 100% being a waste of points.

I'm actually sort of jealous of you guys that get to experience this game from the beginning. This is one of my favorite games of all time, but I've played it so much that it doesn't spark much joy anymore.

I actually took a break from it since a month or so after the last expansion, started again last night after almost buying a couple other arpgs mentioned in the Wolcen thread.

Anyways, started a fresh build I’ve never tried, that meltycakes one and had a blast last night. They have changed the veteran difficulty and it was actually challenging in some areas. I ended up staying up way too late lost track of time, got to level 21 or so before I realized how late it was.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

That is what got me to quit POE after playing it for a few years. I was spending all my time trying to buy and sell when I just wanted to play the game, and I couldn’t get the items I needed through drops. Pasteton Pasteton and I farmed for this chest piece I needed in what felt like hundreds of maps. Had such shitty luck and spent so much currency!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
POE jsut does not do it for me anymore. Ill probabaly be taking a break for a few more leagues, maybe try it when 4.0 (POE2) hits.

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
From what I remember spin to win is not really good until endish game when you get a good weapon and some gear. You can always give it a try though. Captain america type play style with oathkeeper was better IMO, especially in early game.

You can always check the GD forums though. Keep in mind some of those builds on there are end game only type builds with gear sets and whatnot.

Captain America build was probably my favorite out of all the builds I’ve done, so fun to play, shield bouncing all over the screen!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of POE, check out one of my friends play time, he’s getting close to another milestone. His next closest game is Grim Dawn lol

FEF84D5F-187F-41A5-8E26-FB4F9E473ADE.jpeg

• 3WTF
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Prob leaves PoE running for trades tho

Nope. He works from home on call. So plays 40-50 hours during that time, then 30-40 hours a week on his off time, ever since I introduced it to him in 2014.

• 1Solidarity