Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
please TLDR a collider article, that shit don't make no sense to no humans

But a surprisingly often overlooked part of the conversation is the fact that the ringleader of Gunn’s downfall, Mike Cernovich, had to scroll back to 2011 to find the tweets at all. Seven years, conveniently bypassing apologies and mea culpas, overlooking attempts at change, ignoring statements like the one Gunn posted just days before he was fired:

“Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.”
To deny someone the capacity to change is a dangerous precedent to set, not just in Hollywood where a person’s public life is on display 24/7 but to anyone engaging in the social media age. It sets the bar at, “What’s the point?” It gives the message that concepts like betterment and learning are futile because the sins of your past are an immovable weight that only gets heavier the harder you climb. Strange, from a monolith like Disney, which has worked tirelessly to paint over a past filled with scars like Song of the South and Dumbo‘s horribly stereotypical black crows, to name just a few. But through a sheer effort of PR and Marvel-aided goodwill, that Disney feels like a ghost of the studio now. Which is exactly what makes Gunn’s firing so frustrating; Disney didn’t fire a director, they fired his ghost.

The rest of the article just kind of expands on that, goes on to talk about how the characters in GotG themselves are all former scoundrels who have gone through changes for the better, just like Gunn himself since making those tweets 7 years ago.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

"Disney destroyed it"--great points that attempt to villify a company for a witch hunt the media actively engages in. Gunn was hoisted on his own petard. He was prolific on social media espousing the very kind of witch hunt mentality which came around to bite him in the ass. I have zero sympathy for people who have supported SJW retardation getting nuked for this shit. The only way these witch hunts end, is when the mob becomes too scared to find their incessant bullying and outrage fun anymore.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The rest of the article just kind of expands on that, goes on to talk about how the characters in GotG themselves are all former scoundrels who have gone through changes for the better, just like Gunn himself since making those tweets 7 years ago.

Yes, but have any of those other former scoundrels talked about or diddled children?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
"Disney destroyed it"--great points that attempt to villify a company for a witch hunt the media actively engages in. Gunn was hoisted on his own petard. He was prolific on social media espousing the very kind of witch hunt mentality which came around to bite him in the ass. I have zero sympathy for people who have supported SJW retardation getting nuked for this shit. The only way these witch hunts end, is when the mob becomes too scared to find their incessant bullying and outrage fun anymore.

^

Zero sympathy. End statement.

• 3Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I used to make jokes about eating dead babies with nachos *shrugs*. I grew up.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Don't get me wrong. I don't think he should have been fired, unless there was something more than just bad tweets. However, the SJW's and #Resist people created this "Age of Outrage" and they were stupid to think it wouldn't boomerang on them. It's hilarious to me that this wouldn't have even been a thing 3 years ago.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I used to tell dead baby jokes, too. Of course, I was a teenager and not in my mid 40s. Some of those tweets don't even appear to be jokes, they're just pedo statements.

Really it comes down to him either being a pedophile, or just the dumbest mfer on the planet. Either way, I have trouble feeling sorry for him

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
you know... just because someone TALKS about something, doesn't mean they do it.

You never have to ask if someones a Vegan, they'll tell you.

You never have to ask if someones a pot smoker, they'll tell you.

You never have to ask if someones an Atheist, they'll tell you.

You never have to ask if someones a pedophile, they'll tell you.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
You know who defends pedophiles? Other pedophiles.

lphcjbjusd1wollsxbrn.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you know... just because someone TALKS about something, doesn't mean they do it.
don't all those anti gay white guys eventually get caught w/ a male prostitute or a bathroom stall bj? they really love talking about gays

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
don't all those anti gay white guys eventually get caught w/ a male prostitute or a bathroom stall bj? they really love talking about gays

yes. EVERY anti gay white male is actually super gay behind closed door. every single one of them. just like every one of the atheists on this board are secretly super religious.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yes. EVERY anti gay white male is actually super gay behind closed door. every single one of them. just like every one of the atheists on this board are secretly super religious.
or they were religious at one point, b/4 getting super spaghetti monster

It's just like these feminazis you know they sucked massive dick, b4 shaving their heads and wearing pussy hats.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

As others have said, if I had my way, no one would be fired for humor, or ribbing other people unless you have quantifiable evidence of a loss due to it. I think appeasing the mob makes everyone a loser in the end. By making it about money, you're just appeasing your customers, and that requires the 'mob' to give up something in order to express their outrage, which instantly makes any mob less destructive. But Gunn was there cheering for other people to be fired for the same kind of cheap mob mentality, where the only currency was outrage and the only cost was outrage, so fuck him.

(As an aside, not directed at you as I believe you're saying what all of us are, that this mob bullshit is ridiculous, but just more as a 'shower thought' about the current state of social justice dogma in the U.S.)

Has anyone thought about the implications of people who justify firing people for "being racist" vs Gunn? What does it say about us as a society that we view that POTENTIALLY inferring a black person is lesser by making fun of their looks, as a joke, is somehow more profane than expressly joking children should be raped and abused.

What does that kind of value system imply about a society? How utterly deranged and ridiculous it is and the kind of effects it must have on discourse between groups within society, when you confirm we view a racial group as more vulnerable and delicate than children. Really, not much shocks me anymore, but watching a lot of people try to argue Roseane deserved it, while Gunn didn't has been a sad kind of summary of our ridiculous values right now, and seeing how oblivious people are to it illustrates how this new kind of perverse racism has taken hold.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users