Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I can understand and appreciate all the other rebuttals so far, but not this one. People absolutely do change. Whether or not you want to forgive them after they change is up to you, but to claim that no one ever, anywhere, has ever seen the error of their ways and then changed, is hogwash.

Cosby is a poor analogy, based on what we know. Cosby thinks he did nothing wrong, and has plead innocent. Gunn, as far as we know, never raped anyone like Cosby has, but Gunn does not claim innocence -- he admits guilt over the way he was in the past, he does not deny it like Cosby.

Maybe Gunn actually did rape someone, and if he did, I'll change my tune. But as far as we know, he didn't.
it's not like he was a young buck when he made those tweets, he was 42
these were the projects he was involved in

his then wife is saying, stop putting anal sex in all the scenes!!!

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm not familiar with that, honestly. I do wonder if the people he was SJWing against we're as openly repetentant as he was, but going down that path does bring me dangerously close to blind fanboyism in many people's eyes, I'm sure.

But yeah, the key factor that makes it different with him, to me, isn't just that it was in the past -- it's that he repented of his own accord, prior to any duress from the media. In that case, the Christian thing to do is to forget and forgive.

This makes no fucking sense. If being Christian was a major aspect of modern America, this may have some validity but it isn't. But if it was, nowhere in Christianity or modern society, does it say to forget anything. Forgive, sure. Christianity has the ideal of making a mistake, paying for that mistake, and being welcomed back like nothing ever happened. Modern society doesn't have the welcoming back part. There's also the punishment part that I haven't seen him suffer so far. Some anger, losing a movie, what else?

This guy pushed very hard that words and images have immense power. Here's some karma, bitch. Lastly, do you think anyone is going to forget and forgive those Pennsylvania child molester priests? I'm thinking....no.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Lastly, do you think anyone is going to forget and forgive those Pennsylvania child molester priests?

Solid points with the rest of your post, but again, the difference here is -- as far as we know, Gunn didn't molest anyone.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Solid points with the rest of your post, but again, the difference here is -- as far as we know, Gunn didn't molest anyone.

Very true but what exactly needs to be forgiven or forgotten then? A company that has been child focused since it's founding doesn't want a guy who, in the very least, makes pedo jokes and very poor decisions. Why is that even an issue? Why would anyone care if they moved on considering that knowledge?

spronk

FPS noob
it's not like he was a young buck when he made those tweets, he was 42
these were the projects he was involved in

his then wife is saying, stop putting anal sex in all the scenes!!!

wait was james gunn really married to pam, back when she was hot? nice

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
really?
“Huston Huddleston posted this video on my Facebook page with the note ‘I thought you’d appreciate this,’ My response: ‘Appreciate it?!! I just came all over my own face!!’”
tenor.gif

i'm sure he goes many laughs

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Whether he is or isn't pedo is something we will probably never know barring some video or pics coming out. People are judging him based on what is out there. That is what people do. We aren't a court and don't need a preponderance of evidence. We look and decide pedo or edgy comic. For those not grasping why some folks are judging him based on his "jokes", it's because we have a societal norm. For many his jokes crossed a line.

Feel free to feel otherwise, but consider this. Go to prison as an accused pedo and tell everyone it was just jokes. Even murders and rapists consider pedos on the lowest rung of the ladder. Gunn is fucked for life. There isn't a real "I was joking" defense for this shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
In the #MeToo era, I feel like at least one teenager he went pedo on ten years ago when he was posting that shit would have made a public accusation by now if it had actually happened...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
In the #MeToo era, I feel like at least one teenager he went pedo on ten years ago when he was posting that shit would have made a public accusation by now if it had actually happened...
if you are being paid to keep quiet then you go with the money. there is no money in Mee Too, which is why the washed up no-money whores are the ones coming forward to say they were molested/raped.

Fadaar

That guy
I'm waiting for Jennifer Lawrence to start screeching in 5-10 years when she fades into obscurity. Everyone's collective reaction will be "yeah, we already knew".

joz123

Potato del Grande
I'm waiting for Jennifer Lawrence to start screeching in 5-10 years when she fades into obscurity. Everyone's collective reaction will be "yeah, we already knew".
She's already rich as hell from phoning it in on the X-men/Hunger Games movies. Doubt she will give a shit when her acting career is dried up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Edgy humour is called that for a reason and pedo jokes are where you go over that edge.

Some things should not be acceptable to joke about in public, and social media is public, I think pedophilia crosses that line. I am not calling for laws, but disney is a childrens’ entertainment and merchandising company and should have a zero tolerance stance on that issue.

Free Speech doesn’t mean free of consequence, just free of LEGAL consequence. You can still be fired, banned, or smacked. Gunn crossed a line, years ago, and left it all out there for the world to see. They saw and it burned him.

No author is ‘forgiven’ for their writings, the internet is no different. Every time it is read by someone new it is like it was just written for the first time. That is the way writing works, on the internet as well, and people are all learning that the hard way.

The internet never forgets.

• 2Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Whether he is or isn't pedo is something we will probably never know barring some video or pics coming out. People are judging him based on what is out there. That is what people do. We aren't a court and don't need a preponderance of evidence. We look and decide pedo or edgy comic. For those not grasping why some folks are judging him based on his "jokes", it's because we have a societal norm. For many his jokes crossed a line.

Feel free to feel otherwise, but consider this. Go to prison as an accused pedo and tell everyone it was just jokes. Even murders and rapists consider pedos on the lowest rung of the ladder. Gunn is fucked for life. There isn't a real "I was joking" defense for this shit.

You just swapped out pedo jokes for real pedophilia in your analogy.

"People are judging him because his jokes crossed the line... Go to prison for pedophilia and tell everyone it was just jokes... there's no defence for this shit"

This makes no sense whatsoever

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You just swapped out pedo jokes for real pedophilia in your analogy.

"People are judging him because his jokes crossed the line... Go to prison for pedophilia and tell everyone it was just jokes... there's no defence for this shit"

This makes no sense whatsoever

It was drawing a line to show even the lowest of the low spit on pedos. I was pretty clear in the 1st paragraph that we don't know if true or not and it could have been tasteless joking. The point is that at this point it doesn't matter for lots of people.