Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Is there anything that says his name has to be in the credits if they use his script? I mean, let's assume they already were gonna pay him $10m for writing it, plus whatever residuals. Can they not simply pay him, say, $20m cash to purchase it outright and keep his name off? Or hell, maybe now that his choice is either zero dollars or whatever Disney offers, they can maybe even get it for $5m. I have to think there have been times where something like this came up on other movies. I'm sure there are legal maneuvers that can be used.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is there anything that says his name has to be in the credits if they use his script? I mean, let's assume they already were gonna pay him $10m for writing it, plus whatever residuals. Can they not simply pay him, say, $20m cash to purchase it outright and keep his name off? Or hell, maybe now that his choice is either zero dollars or whatever Disney offers, they can maybe even get it for $5m. I have to think there have been times where something like this came up on other movies. I'm sure there are legal maneuvers that can be used.
I'm sure they could, if he agreed to the terms. Dunno about you, but I wouldn't feel very compelled to do my previous employer any favors (though $10m is probably the price point that would let me forgive and forget).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
Is there anything that says his name has to be in the credits if they use his script? .
the unions and rules they operate with are REALLY specific. I bet they have to use his name or he has to cede the credit to another person (which i imagine he'd totally do for the right cash).

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
the unions and rules they operate with are REALLY specific. I bet they have to use his name or he has to cede the credit to another person (which i imagine he'd totally do for the right cash).
Well yeah, that's basically what I was saying, just not as clearly as you did. Buy it outright and attribute it to someone else working on the project.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Just randomly attribute it to someone and don't tell them. First thing that came to mind:

"Written and directed by Jerry Smith!"
"I wrote AND directed that? What am I, nuts?"

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
James Gunn In Demand for Major Studio Movies After Disney Firing

RHWSWL3.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
when you write a screenplay, you dont just mail it to the studio and they send you a check in the mail and then you go back to snorting blow off hookers tittays. you submit your screenplay, they choose it, then they hire you because there will always be rewrites of scenes, plotlines and characters. its much easier hiring you than hiring a bunch of jobbers to cobble together something that may be outside your "vision". its more organic to have the creator solving those issues.

i'll believe it when i see it.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
At this point, the Mouse just wants any ties to kiddy diddling the fuck out of the picture. They already have their hands full middle out jecking all the fags, trannies, and other degenerates behind the scenes without having the pedo monster get out in the open. I would be willing to bet that they will leave Bautista Snapped or just can the entire series rather than get associated with that shit. The Mouse does not have many lines of morality, but that is definitely one of them and they do not budge on that shit.

• 1Like

Goatface

pretty sure, they could get around the writer guild rules, by hiring a new writer (to take credit)
and having Gunn totally rewrite it, based on the ed norton/hulk story

think they would worry if Pratt makes a stand, but then again panther made so much, they might not even care if gotg3 ever comes out

wasn't it supposed to open the door to replace them with the next phase anyway?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
GotG2 ended like it was an ending and not like it was a second of third act. it can be argued that IW was their third film and killing Gamora pretty much cemented that. you never kill your main characters off outside of your franchise, at least you shouldnt.

Fadaar

That guy
Get $10M to do nothing but give up a script that you wouldn't be able to use elsewhere anyway. Well played.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
pretty sure, they could get around the writer guild rules, by hiring a new writer (to take credit)
and having Gunn totally rewrite it, based on the ed norton/hulk story

think they would worry if Pratt makes a stand, but then again panther made so much, they might not even care if gotg3 ever comes out

wasn't it supposed to open the door to replace them with the next phase anyway?

Pratt and Cooper have been mostly neutral or quiet. Like Pratt literally quoted bible passages about forgiveness, just to trigger everyone I think. The rest are in the tank for the cult and have been bitching, especially Rooker who has been a close bud of Gunn ever since. A fair number of the GotG cast are actually recycles from the movie Slither (which I happen to like), including him and those guys have gone full retard on this.

Pretty sure Pratt just wants to keep cashing checks and be left alone on this bullshit, after already going through one interesting divorce.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Pratt and Cooper have been mostly neutral or quiet. Like Pratt literally quoted bible passages about forgiveness, just to trigger everyone I think. The rest are in the tank for the cult and have been bitching, especially Rooker who has been a close bud of Gunn ever since. A fair number of the GotG cast are actually recycles from the movie Slither (which I happen to like), including him and those guys have gone full retard on this.

Pretty sure Pratt just wants to keep cashing checks and be left alone on this bullshit, after already going through one interesting divorce.
Dont follow the hollywood social scene, why was his divorce so "interesting"?

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Plus his wife was kind of batshit and possibly tainted by Weinstein, according to rumor. Rumors flew about JLaw breaking them up, among others. Pratt just kept his head down, protected his kids, and kept working which is what you do in that situation if you have any brains.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Hey as long as they were all adults. Reminds me of that Archer episode.

Malory: Sterling! Schoolgirls?
Archer: Those are just costumes.
Malory: And I suppose that makes it better?
Archer: Well, doesn't it?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is it weird that the church can't even be offended by it since it's accurate? Well, except the part where he goes after girls.