Gunman opens fire at Oregon mall outside of Portland

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Bought tickets for The Hobbit last month for family date night and got this last night, guess they did a blanket refund for the whole next week. My showing is for Friday and the mall says it will be open.

Dear Valued Customer,

Due to the recent events at Clackamas Town Center, this theatre is currently closed. We are issuing a refund for your advance ticket purchase. Refunds can take 3-5 business days to process.

You may also visit our nearby theatre, Century 16 Eastport Plaza. Please visit the website for tickets and show times:

http://www.cinemark.com/theatre-deta...x?node_id=1651

Thank you for your understanding,

Cinemark Customer Service

Hachiman_sl

shitlord
One day, someone who is very good at killing people (former marine or army infantry, special forces, SWAT, etc) will become mentally ill, get ahold of a couple of semi automatic, M-4/AR-15 style weapons, a shitload of ammo, set up a perfect ambush (the perfect ambush is impossible to escape) and kill three or four hundred people. There will be gun control at that point. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
One day, someone who is very good at driving (former nascar or F1, monster truck,etc) is going to become violently insane, get ahold of a car, a shitload of gas, set up a perfect ambush (like a parade) and kill three or four hundred people. There will be car control at that point. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Simas_sl

shitlord
One day, someone who is very good at driving (former nascar or F1, monster truck,etc) is going to become violently insane, get ahold of a car, a shitload of gas, set up a perfect ambush (like a parade) and kill three or four hundred people. There will be car control at that point. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
So you'd be happy with gun owners having to carry gun insurance?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That spike in '03 is the inclusion of all of the victims of the most prolific serial killer in history. Take it out and you have statistical noise.
Why didn't the gun control stop him?

Hachiman_sl

shitlord
Say some professional chef went insane and made a ham sammich, but set up the perfect buffet. But instead of mayo, he used anthrax!!! zomg.

Hachiman_sl

shitlord
One day, someone who is very good at driving (former nascar or F1, monster
truck,etc) is going to become violently insane, get ahold of a car, a shitload of gas, set up a perfect ambush (like a parade) and kill three or four hundred people. There will be car control at that point. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
One day someone will invent a transformer that is a car, but it turns into a gun. He will then drive the car/gun to his beatch's house, transform it into the megatrongun and kill her, then himself. News flash, Zodiac (guy who's handle is also a serial killer) we already discussed that non arguement.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
If it's been said once about guns, it's been said a million times. So here it goes again.

Violence is a product of people. It always has and always will be a human issue. Therefore the only way to completely eradicate violence, is to outlaw people. There, I did it. I solved one of the most over discussed issues of our time.

But seriously, look at the motives behind the shooting deaths in this country. If you are really concerned about stemming the violence that's the place to start. I mean just compile a big list of them and deal with those issues head on. That's it. Establish a shooting motive, examine what policies are already in place regarding that issue, see if those policies are effective or need improvement, move on to the next case. Policy makers doing that would make a far bigger impact on reducing shooting deaths than restricting guns ever could.

Address the social problems that lead to violence first before you think about taking away the most potent deterrent to becoming a victim, that lawful citizens have at their disposal.

Also, the greatest fallacy of gun control is this: If an individual is of the mindset to go kill people, which is quite illegal mind you, how is an additional law going to hinder them in this pursuit.

If for a split second you think that restricting or outlawing guns completely would prevent the sale and trafficking of illegal firearms, you crazy. Look at the horribly failed drug war that costs billions. Nobody has drugs now right? The only thing a complete ban on guns would do is drive up the premium on illegal fire arms and in fact make it a more lucrative trade than it is now.

So if a complete ban on guns does not stop them from being available to the people determined to get them and use them for ill... what would partial restrictions accomplish? There are no amount of personal restrictions that can be put in place to keep guns out of the hands of individuals already living outside of the bounds of the law, they will not heed them.

Placing large restrictions and bans on LEGAL gun sales while ILLEGAL sales are the major source of guns used in violent crimes is completely missing the mark.

Give me some more time and I will think of at least a couple dozen ways to say exactly the same thing.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
One day, someone who is very good at killing people (former marine or army infantry, special forces, SWAT, etc) will become mentally ill, get ahold of a couple of semi automatic, M-4/AR-15 style weapons, a shitload of ammo, set up a perfect ambush (the perfect ambush is impossible to escape) and kill three or four hundred people. There will be gun control at that point. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Sorta already happened in Norway when what's his fuck killed 77 children/teens. Of course they already had gun control...

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Tread carefully, seeing as the only major disruption to the veritable paradise known as Norway in recent times has been an overly xenophobic right-wing extremist. Just a friendly reminder.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Based on this graph, does it seem like now is the time to take drastic action in the US?

Homicides-1900-2010-2.jpg
Gangbangers gonna gangbang, crazy people are gonna go crazy. The argument isn't one about statistics; there's no question that outlawing guns will not have a significant impact on murder and violence rates, which are determined by much more complex phenomenon (pablo escobar is pretty closely tied to that upswing in the 80s).

Statistical significance isn't relevant to the guy caught in the line of fire of some crazy dude on a shooting spree.
The argument, to be clear, should be phrased in this manner -

1) Have there beenanyviolent crimes, which would not have occurred, had guns been illegal?

If the answer to 1) is yes, then the next question is

2) Has there been a violent crime which was prevented, by the possessing of a gun?

and

3) How many occurrences of #1 is enjoyment of gun ownership and sense of security worth?

If you feel that 2) + 3) adds up to more than 1), then the argument for gun ownership makes sense.

Homicides-1900-2010-2.jpg

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Rofl, what an idiotic rebuttal.