Halo Infinite

spronk

FPS noob
Played a few rounds, really really enjoyed myself. Felt very COD-ish with obvious fast TTKs and small maps (yeah I know OG Quake/Halo did it first), but thats exactly what I want. Game is silky smooth on xbox series X, ran at 60 fps although I bet I could also do 120 fps if I wanted. Guns and combat feel fantastic unlike the most recent COD or battlefield. Crazy to think its F2P, which will mean a massive playerbase so pretty easy to have very granular levels of skill.

Only thing I'd like is a way to fine tune what modes quick play does, most of the time I don't really wanna play objective games and just play the equivalent of TDM, which I think is called Slayer here. Leveling is definitely super slow, basically you have to complete daily/weekly challenges to really progress your personal levels and the battle pass.

I'm also not really clear on the battle pass, are there multiple tracks so you have to "buy" it to get everything or can you earn everything just grinding. Will have to look at that stuff later, but it does seem like once you buy the battle pass once if you fill it out, you'll earn enough credits to buy next seasons battle pass. Definitely feel the cold hand of 2020 GAAS now with everything involving skins, battle passes, challenges, cosmetics store, etc but since I really dgaf what my character looks like, I don't care if Timmy Tardo wastes $100/mo on buying stupid shit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Played a few rounds, really really enjoyed myself. Felt very COD-ish with obvious fast TTKs and small maps (yeah I know OG Quake/Halo did it first), but thats exactly what I want. Game is silky smooth on xbox series X, ran at 60 fps although I bet I could also do 120 fps if I wanted. Guns and combat feel fantastic unlike the most recent COD or battlefield. Crazy to think its F2P, which will mean a massive playerbase so pretty easy to have very granular levels of skill.

Only thing I'd like is a way to fine tune what modes quick play does, most of the time I don't really wanna play objective games and just play the equivalent of TDM, which I think is called Slayer here. Leveling is definitely super slow, basically you have to complete daily/weekly challenges to really progress your personal levels and the battle pass.

I'm also not really clear on the battle pass, are there multiple tracks so you have to "buy" it to get everything or can you earn everything just grinding. Will have to look at that stuff later, but it does seem like once you buy the battle pass once if you fill it out, you'll earn enough credits to buy next seasons battle pass. Definitely feel the cold hand of 2020 GAAS now with everything involving skins, battle passes, challenges, cosmetics store, etc but since I really dgaf what my character looks like, I don't care if Timmy Tardo wastes $100/mo on buying stupid shit.
Fast TTKs? Are you fucking high?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
oh yeah i guess its all relative lol haven't played new COD or battlefield so yeah compared to those its slow, but compared to Fortnite it feels super quick, less than a full clip or a melee plus half a clip for me feels fast but yeah guess compared to CODs "2 bullets and yer dead" its slow

and yeah i know halo is FPS and fortnite 3ps

• 1Cringe

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Halo is Apex level of slow TTK. The starter rifle literally takes 20 bullets to the body to kill.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, compared to a maxed out end-of-match Battle Royale character with 7 lifebars, the TTK is low... sorta... but even then, not really.

The TTK encourages teamplay though, which is good.

I just feel like... it's impossible to acquire actual weapons other than the rifle most of the time...

Argarth

On the verandah
Early days, but looks, feels, and sounds fantastic, even on medium settings. (2700X - 1080Ti - 3840x1600 UW)
Really surprised just how well it runs on my rig, super smooth.

• 1Solidarity

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is it possible to move the HUD at all? Years of playing CS it feels awkward always looking at the bottom left instead of upper right for the minimap.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The gameplay is very very basic, and I'm not sure I like the maps, but I'm absolutely amazed by the performance. Of the major FPS games released in the past 4 years, only OW comes close in terms of buttery smooth performance.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Shouldn't be too hard to mimic performance on up to date PC's and Series X with a run of the mill basic shooter that looks like it is straight out of 1998. If this is what we are now expecting as "a Solid release" we are fucked.

This game in of itself for multiplayer is nothing new, nothing different, basic at all levels, and graphically unimpressive. I would hope to God you have solid gun performance since shooters have been around since 1991. As a flagship franchise, this is a fucking travesty for multiplayer - I can only imagine what the campaign will be like - but in a day when Vanguard and 2042 release in the state they are in, the only girl in the bar looks hot even at 250 pounds and a butter face.

We are at a time right now that we are glorifying a game that looks like it is from last gen, with gameplay mechanics that have been a standard of quality for the last 20 years, with game options that have been around since Kali, and somehow giving credit/praise for a standard that has been expected since Unreal Tournament. It's un-fucking-believable the state of the industry right now.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Feels off to me. The guns feel good with recoil/sounds, but the damage and TTK and everything is just... off. Can't explain it. I used to be a BIG Halo guy and I'd say for MP, Halo 3 was the greatest of the series, but this just feels so far from it. It feels like they just tried too hard to make it a MLG Arena shooter. Sucks. Only played one Big Team Battle and the level was complete shit. 12v12 and the level was slightly bigger than the 4v4 maps. Just awful.

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I never grew up playing Halo, aside from like a short stint when Halo 1 came to PC and was doing 1v1's with pistols and trying to sticky each other across map in some weird square grey killbox. My only other experience aside from doing the campaign on halo 2? release.. was some sweaty basement dwelling neckbeard bringing people over to play while he dominated everyone with the sword and his house rules were only he could use the sword; so I just always thought halo was kinda lame.

I'm pleasantly surprised by this for how simple and fun its been. I played my placements got diamond, super easy game. I got into a lobby with 12 people from a discord server and we were learning strats to try and win on bigmap with a big variety of player skills; some true power bottoms. The revelation on seed was hilarious because it was the guy with the thick chinese accent figuring out to assembly the seeds. Seems like a lot of old school halo fans are super happy; so I guess thats good.

Only things I don't like, and maybe i'll get over it.. the game of numbers is stupidly strong in this game. Matching up with sweaty 4v4's, its literally 3-4 people running as one, focus firing you down and there isn't a whole lot you can do other than tuck tail and try to backpedal with the hopes of winning at least a trade. The amount of nade's feels absurd.. feels worse than a giga chad grenadier player in tarkov... and the unscoped when hit just doesn't feel right but i'm convincing myself that its part of the simplicity and call back to classic versus having something like aim punch. I've just resorted to pretty much hip firing everything, and its been fine.

Probably the best arena shooter since Quake and Unreal just don't have the mass appeal Halo does.

I think the best underrated feature of this game is the fact you can queue up to 12 people at a time. Definitely a huge plus when you got a few people tryin to game, and you don't have to start chopping people into teams because lobby queue size is 3 or 4. Classic dedicated servers would be better for a lot of games, but everyone is trying to do mmr nowadays.

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Starting today you get 50xp per match, so 20 games per rank if you've completed all the weekly challenges already.

spronk

FPS noob
that seems a crazy high number, is it 100 ranks per battle pass? that'd be 2000 games you gotta play minus weekly challenges.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Need to remap and tweak controls. Maybe its the transition to mouse and KB. But doesn't feel like halo to me. Granted the 3rd one was the last i played. So all much slower paced than anyone seems to accept these days.

spronk

FPS noob
depends on the mode and how fast your team mates are, i find slayer to be really fast paced. not quite Quake but i'm too old to run around like a 12 year old on ritlin anyways. The objective games I find super slow, I'm really hoping they find a way to let you filter games by preference. I'm sure thats coming, every mp game has it.

really find the multiplayer perfect for me, playing 1-2 games a day. I also need to remap stuff so I can use the elite controller with paddles effectively, but just wanna play the game a bit first. I find the sword powerup crazy powerful, just hiding at corners and ganking enemies who run by is fantastic. The minimap ONLY pings on attacks, it won't ping anyone just running so its also a game that makes it fairly easy to stay super mobile.

Progress is super slow but knowing the battle pass is good for 6 months and not the shitty 60-90 days versions COD does is fine. I actually ended up spending money and bought the battle pass, no real reason to own it at all but its just my small way of saying "more stuff like this, fuck cod and battlefield"

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We are at a time right now that we are glorifying a game that looks like it is from last gen, with gameplay mechanics that have been a standard of quality for the last 20 years, with game options that have been around since Kali, and somehow giving credit/praise for a standard that has been expected since Unreal Tournament. It's un-fucking-believable the state of the industry right now.

This right here. This shit looks and plays like a game straight out of 2005. And yet people are praising this shit as some GOTY. Took them 15 fucking years to make a proper sequel to Halo3? LOL? GG Microsoft, I guess?

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The minimap ONLY pings on attacks, it won't ping anyone just running so its also a game that makes it fairly easy to stay super mobile.

Sprinting, using equipment and shooting will ping the radar. Problem is, radar is only 18 meters max.