Hatred

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
What can be better than gone home? Nothing has ever been or ever will be as good as that pinnacle of art. Cancel all other games and channel all resources to expansions.
Expansion is what the penis does when a member of the patriarchy thinks about rape; from now on we should refer to them as evolutions.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
But probably not as good as Gone Home.
I still remember playing this glorious game, because I read Carolyn Petit's review on Gamespot and She/he is always so on the ball with the reviews. When I saw that this was better than GTA 5, without all the turmoil and completely unfair antics portraying women as helpless hookers, I couldn't help but purchase this game immediately.

I was completely and instantly surrounded and encompassed by the story of the lesbian teenage girl coming of age to a completely empty house because they all took off after finding out she was gay. The mom, the dad, the sister... Little bits and pieces of glorious clues while I was walking around an empty house. The situations were tense, as I thought at any moment the lights would go out and Slender man would come around the corner and eat my fair lesbian teenage maiden for breakfast. All in all, I think it really brought me closer to understanding the emo angsty crowd where nothing goes their way, and it obviously isn't their fault. Joan of Arc was slain as a witch, and the free people of the world have always treated teenage lesbian daughters the same.

By leaving the state.

I cannot believe I found the secret ending where I found the roof after finding out the entire family had moved to France to get away from my sorry ass emo teenage character.

At this point I thought maybe there would be a hay bail as I jumped, like Assassin's Creed, but.... sadly. No.

Then this weird emotion came over me. Something so artful I had to remind myself it was a video game.

I wildly cheered and yelled at my screen in joy as my character jumped off the roof and impaled herself on a large iron post sticking out of the fence. And the upper corner window of the family in France eating cheese and drinking wine saying, "Finally we are free of that little emotional drab woe is me fruitcake".

It was a great game.

10/10.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Wait...is that what that game isreallyabout?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Wait...is that what that game isreallyabout?
YES! Save the part where I jumped my character off the roof and the family moved to France because their daughter was such an angsty little fuckhead. (Which she is)

This teenage lesbian, although you do not know it at the time (That's the plot of the story) comes home to an empty house and you explore the house for 3 hours and at the end of your exploration you realize that she is a lesbian teenager who fell in love with her female friend from when they were kids.

The end.

Carolyn Petit from Gamespot LOVED it. Obviously. It was Game of the Year for her/him.

With that said, I like my version better. Is it moddable? That would be awesome.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Ut has it wrong actually. You come home to an empty house and find out your sister is gay, not your character. The story is about as well written as an assignment for a high school creative writing class.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ut has it wrong actually. You come home to an empty house and find out your sister is gay, not your character. The story is about as well written as an assignment for a high school creative writing class.
I skimmed the plot on Wikipedia. I wish I had those 5 minutes of my life back. Definitely needs a /wrists or emo roof jump option at the end.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Really? Crap. I thought the character I was playing was gay and just going through her memories.

You know what's more entertaining than the game though? Gamespot's review.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gone.../1900-6413000/

9.5!

Edit: Where the reviewer who is transgender I guess goes on and on about how we need more games like this that explore ordinary families and their issues and how these stories cut deep. Nah, not really. We do not need real life emo shenanigans which no one cares about making statements in 3 hour video games in which we could have had more fun burning the 15 bucks in a fire pit, drinking shots of Johnny Walker, and discussing Ellen DeGeneres's latest episode.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I get the feeling Moon Bat legitimately likes that game.
Indeed I do. It was a unique (almost jarringly so) departure from "conventional" video games, which I happen to appreciate a lot. Don't get me wrong, it's not a fantastic game, it's very short and once you pass it there's very little reason to ever play it again. I definitely would NOT pay 15 bucks for it. But I got it as part of a bundle and it was well worth playing through. The story itself, as pointed out, is nothing terribly ground-breaking, but the way it is presented is. The setup that has you exploring an unfamiliar house to learn about the people that live there works well. Both the parents and the younger sister have back stories that are genuinely fun to learn about, in a voyeuristic way. Since the game presents you with very little to actually "figure out" in order to progress, pretty much everything you do is player-motivated, and that's oddly satisfying. You actually do feel like you're exploring a family's house, filled with convincing details that give you all kinds of insight as to what's going on in there.

It's not for everybody, that's for sure. But I LOVE when people do creative things with the video game medium. I generally prefer a mediocre but unique game to an above-average game I've played a hundred variations of before. I'm glad games like Gone Home are enjoying the success they've earned, as they will no doubt encourage more developers to create more unconventional and imaginative games, and that is an objectively good thing.

Really? Crap. I thought the character I was playing was gay and just going through her memories.

You know what's more entertaining than the game though? Gamespot's review.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/gone.../1900-6413000/

9.5!

Edit: Where the reviewer who is transgender I guess goes on and on about how we need more games like this that explore ordinary families and their issues and how these stories cut deep. Nah, not really. We do not need real life emo shenanigans which no one cares about making statements in 3 hour video games in which we could have had more fun burning the 15 bucks in a fire pit, drinking shots of Johnny Walker, and discussing Ellen DeGeneres's latest episode.
Dude, I highly question your ability to perceive and understand information. First of all, you claim to have played the game but somehow completely and totally failed to understand what was even going on. Then you read that review and make bizarre statements that don't come close to anything actually said in the review. The reviewer does not "go on and on about how we need more games like this". Why would you even say that? Here's an actual quote:
Gone Home is an important game because it does something games rarely do: it tells a believable story, grounded in the real world, that focuses on women and treats all of its characters, women and men alike, as complex individuals. But the reason to play Gone Home is not for its importance. It's for the elegance with which its tale is constructed and communicated, and the captivating way that it makes you an active participant in peeling back the layers of one family's ordinary lives as their home tells you their stories.
It was a well-written review that makes explicitly clear exactly what the reviewer liked about the game. If you can read that review and figure that the game won't appeal to you, then that's a job well done on the reviewer's part. If you're able to get a good idea what the game is about and decide it's not worth your time, that's a good thing. Other people (like me) can read that review and actually get intrigued and consider giving the game a shot, which is also a good thing. It's good that Gone Home exists, and it's good that the reviews let you know exactly what you get. Win-win all around and zero fucking reason to complain. Unless, of course, you get off on complaining.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Szlia sure is courageous in his defense of freedom of expression and speech. I mean, defending Anita from the "horrible" accusations against her.

Oh wait, unless you happen to be a game developer or a media company. In which case its no big deal if you get terrorist threats or your game's distribution is shut down.

Szlia

I'll readily admit that the american concept of free speech is broader than mine, but that is true of many people since the 1st amendment's protection of hate speech is part of the american exceptionalism. That being said, the three cases you mention have no relation whatsoever with the defense of free speech.

As far as I am concerned:

- Sarkeesian is free to say whatever she wants about video game and people are free to criticize her work. It just so happens that some of the critics were totally deluded and/or completely discarded sociology.

- Franco and Rogen have the right to make a movie about assassinating the current and very real leader of a batshit crazy dictatorship with which diplomatic relations are tense and complex. That does not make it anything less than an extraordinarily retarded idea.

- That polish dev team is free to make a game about a nut job butchering civilians and Steam is also free to sell it or not on their store. That does not change the fact that I suspect the game will be aggressively stupid and that I don't understand why Steam is ok with stuff like this on the store yet bans games focusing on sexuality.

I fail to see the cowardice/double standard/hypocrisy/whatever in there.

Caliane

for you, free speech is a buzzword. you don't seen to understand the civic concept behind it.

Free speech can be an issue even within a private forum, club, social group. In those cases its a matter of discussion, and control to be taken up with the owner, social group, etc to decide on what liberties the public should have.

You freely admit Steam is a monopoly on an entire platform/industry/medium. And thus Steam and Valve acting as cultural gatekeepers for again, an entire medium is pretty scary.
Stardock put forth that gamers bill of rights. and frankly, Steam should do it as well.
Stardock Announces "The Gamers Bill of Rights" Forum Post by Zoomba

I think we have some new amendments to add..
The rights of devs to create freely and expect their creations to be distributed freely.

khalid

Unelected Mod
So basically Szlia's definition of free speech is "letting people say stuff he already agrees with".

That concept is meaningless.

edit: Or maybe "You can say whatever you want, as long as it doesn't offend any particular person".

Szlia

Steam is problematic in more ways than one, but forcing them to distribute all and every games does not sound like the greatest of ideas to me.