HDTVs

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My KS8000 is now doing intermittent black screen where the video cuts out for a second or two and comes back. Audio never goes away. Seems very hard to reproduce across inputs or Smart apps. Seems to be a known issue on Samsung’s forum with hit or miss support.
iirc from a friend having a similar issue their problem turned out to be the HDMI cable and something to do with the version or HDCP. Is it from the cable box, console, or a service that would have updated the copy protections to a higher standard/version?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm such a noob. It wasn't until a couple days ago that I realized when Dolby Vision pops up in the top right corner of my LG OLED that it means I'm in 4k. Right? I see it on Netflix, and then on my Ps4 it'll pop up HDR when it's just HDR, but not 4k I think.

No, 4k is resolution and is one step up from 1080p

HDR is the colour range and comes in various formats and flavours

If something is tagged as HDR content (or one of the formats) on Netflix then it's always 4k

Content can be 4k without being in HDR

Real talk = as a proper and accurate HDR calibration is out of reach for most people then it's unlikely anyone is watching HDR content as it's meant to be watched

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No, 4k is resolution and is one step up from 1080p

HDR is the colour range and comes in various formats and flavours

If something is tagged as HDR content (or one of the formats) on Netflix then it's always 4k

Content can be 4k without being in HDR

Real talk = as a proper and accurate HDR calibration is out of reach for most people then it's unlikely anyone is watching HDR content as it's meant to be watched
So what's it doing when Dolby Vision pops up on my TV for a second when I start w a thing UHD Netflix content? And it's not always 4k because of Netflix account sharing I have my resolution set to Auto iny Netflix settings because other family has pleb internet.

And HDR without 4k I also understand because I don't have a Ps4 pro and therefore can't play games in 4k, but can at least get HDR like stated above.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So what's it doing when Dolby Vision pops up on my TV for a second when I start w a thing UHD Netflix content? And it's not always 4k because of Netflix account sharing I have my resolution set to Auto iny Netflix settings because other family has pleb internet.

And HDR without 4k I also understand because I don't have a Ps4 pro and therefore can't play games in 4k, but can at least get HDR like stated above.

Dolby Vision is a propriatary HDR format by Dolby. It's not related to resolution. It's generally considered better than HDR 10.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My KS8000 is now doing intermittent black screen where the video cuts out for a second or two and comes back. Audio never goes away. Seems very hard to reproduce across inputs or Smart apps. Seems to be a known issue on Samsung’s forum with hit or miss support.

Random blackouts is often caused by a shitty HDMI cable fucking with the HDCP stuff.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Cramming 4K @ 24hz, 30hz, or 60hz + HDR + HDCP 2.2 + Sound (arc) through an HDMI cable be it 1.4 or 2.0 rated is still enough to saturate it. If you can find them and you want to future proof, go for the 48Gbps cables that will support HDMI 2.1 otherwise, the ones that have an 18Gbps bandwidth and support 2.0 should work just as well.

The biggest factor is make sure the cables have a QR code which means they're certified.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
iirc from a friend having a similar issue their problem turned out to be the HDMI cable and something to do with the version or HDCP. Is it from the cable box, console, or a service that would have updated the copy protections to a higher standard/version?

And @Dom yeah it is 100% possible. I have new HDMI cables I can test with just as a starting point. Nothing in the setup has changed as far as TV => Receiver => Cable box, but it does it on the PS4 input as well, which shares the common cable b/w TV and receiver and should be easy enough to switch out.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dolby Vision is a propriatary HDR format by Dolby. It's not related to resolution. It's generally considered better than HDR 10.
Ohhh ok. When I Googled Dolby Vision it made it sound like it was 4k. Thanks for the clarification.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Contact Samsung support. They've always been super helpful the couple times I've had to contact them (dead pixel in my old DLP was a $400 repair to a board defect when the TV was 3 years past warranty, or a free replacement of a dead UHD BD8500 player, or free fix of my brother in laws power supply when the screen would randomly turn off due to overheating capacitors). It's possible the power supply is going out if a new cable doesn't fix the issue. If it's a new issue that hadn't presented itself before, you can also try unplugging it for a few minutes before powering it back on. Also check for new firmware. Are you running through a receiver by chance?

The following cable is what I've been using and pushed everything through just fine.

Monoprice Commercial Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, YUV 4:4:4, 32AWG, CL2, 6ft, Black- No Logo - Monoprice.com

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So I've had an issue present itself with the "magic" remote for my C8. It powered up the TV the first time just fine, but after a software update, it no longer powers up the TV or turns it off. There was a software update for the remote after this, and another TV update. Still doesn't work. If I manually power on the TV with the button on the back, all other functions on the remote work (cursor, volume, scroll wheel, scroll button, etc etc). I tried unpairing and pairing it, no luck. Interestingly I turned on the voice commands from the remote and I'm able to use that via the remote to turn the TV off (press and hold the mic button and say "turn off TV"). Still have to press the button on the back of the TV to turn it on. Submitted a customer service request to LG to see if it's a known problem, but that was just yesterday.

The HDMI-CEC functionality is also funky as AIDS in that it randomly turns on my PS4 or BD player. XBOX ONE X doesn't have this functionality. It worked fairly well with my Samsung TV in that when I turned that off, attached devices turned off (receiver, BD player or PS4), and the built in IR functionality of the XBOX would turn on the TV and receiver when I turned that on. It plays very awkwardly with the LG TV.

That said, I'm sure I'll get it all sorted out, but after dropping a couple grand I was hoping it would all just work, and besides the remote and HDMI-CEC bullshit, it does. Just really annoying, especially when I have to tell the wife "turn it on from the button on the back of the TV and talk to the remote to turn it off" like wtf, really... It's like an 11/10 hot ass girlfriend who has never had a job and doesn't know how to drive.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Tempted to buy some semi cheap 65” 4K for Black Friday any good deals?
Gotta specify. Lots of shit tier displays that are pretending to be discounted to abuse the black Friday "dealing", when a lot of them are just the same shit being offered at more or less cost to push units. Even the screen I bought is barely being discounted to $2700. What's your budget?

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Good question, I probably don't want to spend more than $2k. I have seen plenty for below that but I am sure they are shit quality. Then again anymore I see TVs as no more than disposable pieces of shit that will be obsolete in 3-5 years anyways. At which time I will be back here asking to throw away $2k on a 75" next gen shit thing.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Thought the same thing after using a 55" IPS panel 4K screen for 2 years that really wasn't much of an upgrade over my now 10 year old 50" DLP 1080P screen. OLED gives the brightness of my DLP, the precision and clarity of my IPS 4K screen, and so fucking much more. You can get a 55" C8 for $1600.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Gotta specify. Lots of shit tier displays that are pretending to be discounted to abuse the black Friday "dealing", when a lot of them are just the same shit being offered at more or less cost to push units. Even the screen I bought is barely being discounted to $2700. What's your budget?
Is there anything worthwhile in the $500-$800 range?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Good question, I probably don't want to spend more than $2k. I have seen plenty for below that but I am sure they are shit quality. Then again anymore I see TVs as no more than disposable pieces of shit that will be obsolete in 3-5 years anyways. At which time I will be back here asking to throw away $2k on a 75" next gen shit thing.

My dude, under 2k for a 65" TV is almost all of them. I personally go with the Vizio line and your best option is their P series. At your price range you could go with either the P65-F1 the PQ65-F1 which is their premium Quantum line. The only complaint people have about Vizio is that their 'smart' technology is home grown and not just a Roku. It does, however, have Hulu, Prime, Netflix, and built in Chromecast for everything else.

I always look for good deals so I snagged last years' model certified refurbished from Newegg with a 2 year SquareTrade warranty and it is showing up today.