HDTVs

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ah yeah, np, I didn’t dive in to it. Was just random he walked over and showed it to me like 5 minutes after reading your post.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So followup on my tech repair/replacement of my C8 panel... Took about 3 days to lock down support, tech came out 5 days later to investigate the issue in person, filed a claim, took 10'ish more days to get a replacement panel in, then 3 more days for them to ensure the panel was good and able to come out to replace it.

It was a solo dude so I had to help him unmount the TV (probably easier than dealing with the stand), and lay it on the ottoman. Then he ripped the guts off. The tech was actually pretty haphazard with the panels. We stood up the faulty panel sans guts, and leaned it against the couch. We then carried in the new one from his truck, unwrapped it, laid it on the ottoman, and he screwed in the original guts to the new panel. Screwed in the bracket, and mounted back on my stand.

Turned on, ran a picture test, booted up the Xbox, ps4, and TV, to check all inputs and sources. New screen worked flawlessly.

Then I asked him if it made sense to buy the extended warranty given his experience with this particular panel (he did mention having had to do replacement work on a lot of these panels). "If it's reasonable, yes, because if the panel goes bad, that's 90% of the cost." It's about $100-150/year, or about $450 for an additional 3 years on top of the initial year, which I'm strongly considering after this issue, and not having any plans to upgrade any time soon. Especially now, because I have had a warranty claim the local support agent has me in their system and they can support me directly, instead of going through the initial delay of going through LG to field a support agent.

That said, I will say the process was rather painless, and hassle free, but it did take almost 3 weeks to resolve. Whatever. I'm happy and the replacement works perfectly.

20190220_102025.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone have experience with the used TV market or selling theirs? I'd like to sell mine which I bought for $900 in 2016 for around 600-700, but with the advancements in the market since then, you can get an equivalent TV for the same price but new (15% tax aside) Any insights?

Sony 49x800d for reference (Canada prices)

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have experience with the used TV market or selling theirs? I'd like to sell mine which I bought for $900 in 2016 for around 600-700, but with the advancements in the market since then, you can get an equivalent TV for the same price but new (15% tax aside) Any insights?

Sony 49x800d for reference (Canada prices)

In my experience, selling online is tough because people tend to do research. If you can sell on Craigslist (obviously still online but still) or classifieds or whatever you'll get a better price. Like you said, TV tech has advanced so quickly recently that a 3 year old $900 TV is basically a throw away TV. For under $500 you can buy a 55" TCL 6 series which is not only bigger than your TV, but will absolutely blow it away from a picture quality standpoint. The counter point is that people without the means to do research will buy even tube TVs from pawn shops for $100+, so it really comes down to how willing you are to take advantage of someone's naivete. I sold a TV I purchased for $2300 (during a black Friday sale no less, it was regularly $3000) in 2014 for $500 and the TCL 6 series that I bought for a guest bedroom is way, way better than that TV was

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not an HDTV but I need advice on a new gaming monitor for my PC. Looking to get an ultrawide and would like it to have HDR but don't know how necessary that is. One of my monitors shit the bed and both are really old, want to upgrade before I start playing Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice. Problem is I really have no idea what to look for.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Not an HDTV but I need advice on a new gaming monitor for my PC. Looking to get an ultrawide and would like it to have HDR but don't know how necessary that is. One of my monitors shit the bed and both are really old, want to upgrade before I start playing Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice. Problem is I really have no idea what to look for.
Depends heavily on your budget, the necessity of 60+hz, and screen size. I wouldn't adjust my budget for HDR, but it's worth it if in your budget and fits your other requirements.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Im willing to spend $2k on a monitor if it's worth the price tag and is fairly future proof.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wouldn't expect any current 4K technology to be future proof, especially monitors. Hell, Samsung is starting to push early 8K TVs already to supplement their R&D funds and 4K ain't really past 60 fps yet.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone familiar with ad blockers for TV? Would like to watch twitch once and awhile on my TV but ads are out of control

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I found twitch TV add on for Kodi, so far it seems to deal with the ads.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Of those three, the Samsung is the highest rated. The LG is an IPS display which means it's going to have shitty white/black contrast where any dark scenes appear grey. I'm not sold on TCL unless I'm looking for the cheapest version of a comparable panel, and even then you could find a dozen alternatives at that price point that are a lot better. The only issue with the Samsung is viewing angle, but is otherwise a solid display at that price point.

Give me a price point and I can better speak to the best TV you're looking for. The market is pretty saturated at the $6-900 range. At $900 you can get the best aggrigrate TV, but $2k will put you into the best displays available (OLED).

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Went with the Samsung.

Will get a OLED or something nicer next time. Maybe Black Friday? And then put this one in the bedroom

The TV it's replacing is 8 years old? 720p 46 inch. Lol

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Aren't Samsungs the ones that have zero burn-in risk? Not sure if that's every panel but one of the better features for long term use.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
a c i d.f l y a c i d.f l y looking for a 70+ inch TV to put into the living room. Measured viewing distance is like 15 feet so was looking at pretty budget options. $800 range. My 55" LG oled is getting moved to the bedroom. I saw this...

Any better options?

Upon some actual research, this one isn't very much more and seems way better. 120hz, vs 60, Dolby Vision support, better screen.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6259880.p?skuId=6259880

But Fuck... can just go with the highly rated TCL 65" for $500, and call it good. That's 10 inches bigger than what I currently have, and will probably suffice to "fill" the room a bit better?

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a reason why 2019 models are ditching hdr10+? I was going to pick up a new tv but LG oleds don't have it and Samsung qleds don't have it. I was leaning towards LG since they will have full hdmi 2.1 specs.