HDTVs

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
4k content is hard enough to find let alone 8k, plus the proximity you'll need to be to the screen for it to make any difference at all makes it a gimmick on anything other than gigantic displays. It will be a decade or so before it's being used on much other than advertising/commercial displays.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

SeanDoe1z1

4k content is hard enough to find let alone 8k, plus the proximity you'll need to be to the screen for it to make any difference at all makes it a gimmick on anything other than gigantic displays. It will be a decade or so before it's being used on much other than advertising/commercial displays.
direct tv / netflix already do 4k.

i know broadcast wont be til atsc 5.0 / 2030 like you estimate

idk i have been on 1080p forever. Can hold my breath, just curious if some people have tried it. Found a linus video on it, although i wouldn't be gaming on it unless it was a specific game.

Probably going the c9 route everyone is talking about.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
direct tv / netflix already do 4k.

i know broadcast wont be til atsc like....5.0 2030 like you estimate

Some of their content is 4k, not all. It's still in the process of being adopted everywhere. My point is that 4k isn't even fully established yet, let alone 8k. The marketers are banking on it being a bigger number to make consumers think that it must be better, and not digging into the details. If you are actually interested in 8k for whatever reason, at least spend some time figuring out if you'll be able to visually see the difference in resolution based on what size the display will be and how far you will be sitting from it. It's almost guaranteed that you won't be able to, and possibly won't even have 4k being better than 1080.

Some useful sites for this stuff

Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1omb6ggvRcoVuLyrXIFS0ab-cLZgYXmWS41HW_ENPuYU/edit#gid=0

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has not a lot to do with LG specifically, but even the Plex app for Vizio tvs sucks ass. One feature that I have on the plex app for LG is the ability to find sub titles. It'll search and let you download sub titles directly from the movie or show page. Fucking tits.

$800 for a 70" TV and I'm regretting it. The extra size isn't worth the shitty picture and shitty built in apps. :(

If I had gotten it for $400 like the recent Best Buy pricing error, I'd be much more happy about it.

SeanDoe1z1

none what so ever. best tv I have ever owned.

Bought one for 2100 earlier today, can't wait. Projector in new house wasn't really suited for that room so upstairs can eventually be some type of black out mini theater (thinking for kids/family movies). May actually finish rdr2

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont know if I like 4K. First 4K TV we got was about a year ago, cheaper one but still pretty nice. Thank god its in the family room where mostly my wife hangs out in. Anyway I just cannot stand how it turns everything into soap opera looking TV. Its fucking weird and I never got used to it and I dont think I ever will. When watching movies that 'cinema" look is gone.

For instance I was watching Dexter again in my living room with a standard 1080p LED TV and then I had to move to the family room as I was doing some shit in there, so I turned on netflx and stated watching the Dexter show right where I left off and was shit looking, like days of our lives bad.

Change my mind.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That has nothing to do with 4k. it's what you have the motion settings to that is causing it. Explore your settings menu and turn that shit off.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I dont know if I like 4K. First 4K TV we got was about a year ago, cheaper one but still pretty nice. Thank god its in the family room where mostly my wife hangs out in. Anyway I just cannot stand how it turns everything into soap opera looking TV. Its fucking weird and I never got used to it and I dont think I ever will. When watching movies that 'cinema" look is gone.

For instance I was watching Dexter again in my living room with a standard 1080p LED TV and then I had to move to the family room as I was doing some shit in there, so I turned on netflx and stated watching the Dexter show right where I left off and was shit looking, like days of our lives bad.

Change my mind.

Lol well adjust your settings off the shit like "vivid" mode and use the cinema preset, or get your screen professionally calibrated

The soap opera I presume you mean the way tut frame rate appears to be sped up, that's nothing to do with the resolution of the TV you clown

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The soap opera effect comes from something they started adding to televisions in the past years which inserts frames into the image to make it look smoother, which is associated with soap operas because they've always displayed at a higher filming rate than other media. On Sony TV's, it's called Motionflow or cinemotion. Some manufacturers even use it to lie about the display's framerate capabilities.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well I sure notice it, because its fucking pretty apparent on pretty much every movie, show, regardless if its native 4K or 1080p which is still upscaled to 4K on this tv I think. Is there some setting on this bitch to turn that shit off?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I love 4k, I just hate HDCP 2.2 and all the bullshit that comes with it. God forbid we don't stick DRM into every fucking thing we have.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I just checked and there was a setting on there called "picture smoothing" I turned that shit off and we got our old tv back, but now with 4K, thanks fellas.

• 5Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

SeanDoe1z1

New C9 is great. Probably opting out of a sound system for awhile as speakers actually are pretty decent.

Screen is paper smooth and no real complaints so far. Last media PC died and I don't have a NAS anymore, shitty replacement laptop won't handle 4K only 2K. Happy with it.