HDTVs

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Went with the 70" Vizio, and it's huge, that's for sure. So fucking huge. Lol

It's no LG OLED though. That went into the bedroom, and so will be nice to use that still for some shows where I want the top quality!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Is there a reason why 2019 models are ditching hdr10+? I was going to pick up a new tv but LG oleds don't have it and Samsung qleds don't have it. I was leaning towards LG since they will have full hdmi 2.1 specs.
There only 13 blurays that support HDR10+ at the moment, that said, Samsung didn't drop it from their TV's. LG's never utilized HDR10+.
HDR10+ Conent: List of UHDs that contain HDR10+ - Blu-ray Forum
Certified Product List: Certified Products - HDR10+

Samsung models that support HDR10+
QLED TV Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd QN65Q6F
QLED TV Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd QN65Q7F
QLED TV Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd QN65Q8F
QLED TV Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd QN65Q9F
QLED 8K TV Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd QN82Q900
Premium UHD TV Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd UN55NU8500
Premium UHD TV Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd UN65NU8000

The new MU8000 and NU8000 models support HDR10+, but it's listed as "HDR EXTREME".

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
a c i d.f l y a c i d.f l y looking for a 70+ inch TV to put into the living room. Measured viewing distance is like 15 feet so was looking at pretty budget options. $800 range. My 55" LG oled is getting moved to the bedroom. I saw this...

Any better options?

Upon some actual research, this one isn't very much more and seems way better. 120hz, vs 60, Dolby Vision support, better screen.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6259880.p?skuId=6259880

But Fuck... can just go with the highly rated TCL 65" for $500, and call it good. That's 10 inches bigger than what I currently have, and will probably suffice to "fill" the room a bit better?
Went with the 70" Vizio, and it's huge, that's for sure. So fucking huge. Lol

It's no LG OLED though. That went into the bedroom, and so will be nice to use that still for some shows where I want the top quality!

For some reason I'm just now seeing this. How's the glare on the screen? A lot of the sub-$1000 4K screens above 55" tend to have some gloss/reflection. That's not a bad price for a 70", though. Considering something similar to hang on my back porch during the summer. Need something that's bright as fuck for Texas daylight as well as durable for being moved around a bit. Probably doesn't even need to be 4K since it'll be used mostly for football/soccer viewing. ...then again, how soon 'til ESPN, FoxSports and whatever else start broadcasting in 4K?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For some reason I'm just now seeing this. How's the glare on the screen? A lot of the sub-$1000 4K screens above 55" tend to have some gloss/reflection. That's not a bad price for a 70", though. Considering something similar to hang on my back porch during the summer. Need something that's bright as fuck for Texas daylight as well as durable for being moved around a bit. Probably doesn't even need to be 4K since it'll be used mostly for football/soccer viewing. ...then again, how soon 'til ESPN, FoxSports and whatever else start broadcasting in 4K?
Its for sure not super bright, and so I'm not sure I'd put it outside, but it does alright. I've got sky lights in the room, and the glare is there but when I'm watching something I don't notice it.

Siliconemelons

I got the 55" version of that LG for like 200 or 300$ it was stupid price. I do not have any windows in the room it is in but it looks great. my 65" is also an LG but a few years older and was their upper-mid trim vs this entry trim... but seeing as its been a few years, it seems "the sameish" as my upper level older one...and that would make scene in how tech usually works.

I still like WebOS... but on my new one I cant seem to figure out how to stop it from defaulting when turned on to "tuner" and static crazyness until I tell it to go to something else.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So I decided to pick up a lg c9 next month and was wondering about the burn in. I use it as a computer monitor but if I shut it off when not in use will that be ok or still a big risk?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Just avoid long term displaying of any static parts of an image. The risk should only really come with something like playing the same game with a UI day after day, or constant displaying of a windows taskbar etc... Try to mix things up, and set it to sleep when not using it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
LG has built in tools to help combat burn in so check those out. Aside from the obvious like the Screen Saver, there is also Clear Panel Noise, Screen Shift and Logo Luminance Adjustment.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Also, remember that burn in is much more likely during the first 500 to 1000 hours of the TVs life while the OLEDs "cure". Not that it can't happen later, but it does get less likely.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I bought a 55" Samsung QLED TV 15 months ago and about a week ago it started glitching out for the first 5 - 10 minutes I used it. It seems that once the TV "warms up" it will stop glitching, but the first few minutes are incredibly annoying.

Any tips n tricks to fix this annoying pos?

Siliconemelons

I bought a 55" Samsung QLED TV 15 months ago and about a week ago it started glitching out for the first 5 - 10 minutes I used it. It seems that once the TV "warms up" it will stop glitching, but the first few minutes are incredibly annoying.

Any tips n tricks to fix this annoying pos?

Return it for an LG?

Not saying Samsungs suck.. but...

and well.. LG are truly the parents of modern OLED tech and should get consumer $$ to help them further their development etc.

Sony was the only other brand at the start of consumer OLED that gave a damn but they let it float once no one bought their 2k 9inch little OLED TV they for some reason banked on...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
and well.. LG are truly the parents of modern OLED tech and should get consumer $$ to help them further their development etc.

LG does not make OLED tech. They license it from Universal Display Corp. LG just makes alot of the panels that incorporate it, even for other companies.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
BOOM!

Just got a LG 65B8PUA OLED from Sam's Auction site for $1401. $1568 after tax and shipping. I'm fucking pumped.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well I finally got my 65 inch C9 and holy shit is this thing amazing. Using it as a pc monitor and everything is so crisp. Games look incredible.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Has anyone gotten their tv professionally calibrated? I was thinking of getting it done but just want to know if the benefit is worth it.

gak

<Gold Donor>
I just read reviews and recommended settings sites like List of calibration settings for TVs - FlatpanelsHD and then I fine tune to my preference.

Both times I had relatives get calibration the experts immediately set everything as yellowish and brown as possible, saying it's the most true setting.

But for me, I've always hated those "warm plus" "warm2" etc. settings because when I walk around in real life I don't see a dark yellow tint on everything, so I adjust until I get what's most comfy for my eyes.

p.gif

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not professionally, but I have calibrated my own stuff with a calibration device and it turns out to look less appealing as its too red for my tastes.

Main thing I gained from the process is learning to turn the brightness down as it is almost universally too high as its what people expect is right. Takes some adjusting but it doesn't take too long to see why it's better.

• 1Like