HDTVs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
$2100 on ebay....hmmm. Just about my price barrier. Anyone with first hand experience? Definitely appreciated the feedback I received when I replaced my audio receiver, the Yamaha I picked up is fucking amazing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
$2100 on ebay....hmmm. Just about my price barrier. Anyone with first hand experience? Definitely appreciated the feedback I received when I replaced my audio receiver, the Yamaha I picked up is fucking amazing.
I think the C is for curved, B is flat. So the C8 would be the latest curved screen. I've got the C6 I believe. Picked it up on a sweet deal last year on Open Box from Fry's Electronics and I'm not disappointed. Shit's amazing. I too want a bigger screen because my viewing distance is massive in the new house, but don't have the budget to shell out $2k for a TV. :(

Would love to get a 75" for the living room and move the LG OLED to the bedroom where I currently have no TV.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Starting looking into getting a new TV and went to a store to view some (haven't done so in at least five years so). I saw an OLED screen in store (LG brand) and I actually came away not being impressed. Does anyone else have this reaction? Like it feels too saturated? I don't think it was the calibration because another OLED from Samsung had the same effect.

Am I super in the minority on this and am just not getting how awesome they are or is there a chance these two screens were misconfigured?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Starting looking into getting a new TV and went to a store to view some (haven't done so in at least five years so). I saw an OLED screen in store (LG brand) and I actually came away not being impressed. Does anyone else have this reaction? Like it feels too saturated? I don't think it was the calibration because another OLED from Samsung had the same effect.

Am I super in the minority on this and am just not getting how awesome they are or is there a chance these two screens were misconfigured?

Samsung don't do OLED, they have QLED which isn't the same technology at all.

Judging from how the sets are calibrated in store isn't really a good idea.

Saturation isn't really something people complain about with OLED. The scenes where OLED struggle are "near black" scenes, hence why AVforum and AVSforums go mental for "slides" at differing levels of grey everytime a new set is released - they want to see if LG have improved near black performance

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I’ve got a 2016 oled in living room, but needed to upgrade bedroom tv. Bought a 55” Sony x930e from Best Buy for $1100 yesterday.... what an awesome tv. Not quite as good as the B6, but definitely brighter and better hdr. Gonna hole up in here in a few weeks and blast through red dead while wife and kid watch peppa pig....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I think the C is for curved, B is flat. So the C8 would be the latest curved screen. I've got the C6 I believe. Picked it up on a sweet deal last year on Open Box from Fry's Electronics and I'm not disappointed. Shit's amazing. I too want a bigger screen because my viewing distance is massive in the new house, but don't have the budget to shell out $2k for a TV. :(

Would love to get a 75" for the living room and move the LG OLED to the bedroom where I currently have no TV.
The C8 is not curved. Looks like the B8 has a slightly thicker border (10mm), and is a slightly thicker display (mm difference). The C8 also has the previous gen processor, but wasn't noticeably different, apparently. C8 is better on 99% of tests, but microscopically so. If I can find the C8 from a reliable source for $2-2100 with PayPal as an option, it'll be a go for an early Christmas.

TV Side-by-Side Comparison Tool - RTINGS.com

c8-thickness-small.jpg

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just bought the LG C8 55”.

It is ridiculously stunning, the picture quality is absolutely insane.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This might sound weird, but this requires some getting used to. The picture clarity, the level of details, and how black some scene look strange sometimes. It’s like there’s too much info.

When watching Thor Ragnarok, some scene with heavy cgi were almost so sharp that you could see the effects a bit too much, irs almost like low resolution was hiding some imperfections.

Still loving it though. It’s not a complaint as much as an observation.

gak

<Gold Donor>
I just bought the LG C8 55”. It is ridiculously stunning, the picture quality is absolutely insane.

I was going to buy that if I didn't have to worry about burn-in with the wife falling asleep in front of it. Utnayan was saying OLED hockey looked weird with the motion, have you dialed it in for sports and if so what settings did you use ?

Here's some demos you can download and play off USB, they look stunning on my Q9FN so they must be stellar on your OLED:
LG: Chess HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media
LG: Cymatic Jazz HDR10 UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media

b.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
b7 doesn't exist any longer. That was the older curved screen 3D 55" version. The c8 is the 65" version with a flat screen.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
When watching Thor Ragnarok, some scene with heavy cgi were almost so sharp that you could see the effects a bit too much, irs almost like low resolution was hiding some imperfections.
But how great did that red and black lava demon guy look? He really pops on the screen. Lava is just stunning.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

So instead of guessing, I finally measured, and my new living room has a 14' viewing distance. @Dom

So at that distance, my 55" LG OLED looks good, but overkill, since anything at that distance is going to look pretty good. This explains why I still don't care that I download SD quality TV shows. 300-400mb per episode, and I think they are fine. Hmm...

This is pretty good news though, because if I wanted to make it a little better, I can just drop $800 on a 75" Vizio Black Friday deal, probably even cheaper than that, and not really notice a quality difference?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So instead of guessing, I finally measured, and my new living room has a 14' viewing distance. @Dom

So at that distance, my 55" LG OLED looks good, but overkill, since anything at that distance is going to look pretty good. This explains why I still don't care that I download SD quality TV shows. 300-400mb per episode, and I think they are fine. Hmm...

This is pretty good news though, because if I wanted to make it a little better, I can just drop $800 on a 75" Vizio Black Friday deal, probably even cheaper than that, and not really notice a quality difference?

A 75" @ 14ft puts you into the range of being able to see 1080p quality, so yeah, it'll definitely be an improvement. Not just with fidelity, but that you'll also not be trying to look at small things on a distant screen.

If you can manage to setup your room so you're sitting within 8 feet of the screen you'll be even better off with being able to see 4k quality and within the recommended viewing distance angles for a screen that size. Many families don't want their room to center around a television, but if this isn't an issue, it's certainly something to look into.

Crone

A 75" @ 14ft puts you into the range of being able to see 1080p quality, so yeah, it'll definitely be an improvement. Not just with fidelity, but that you'll also not be trying to look at small things on a distant screen.

If you can manage to setup your room so you're sitting within 8 feet of the screen you'll be even better off with being able to see 4k quality and within the recommended viewing distance angles for a screen that size. Many families don't want their room to center around a television, but if this isn't an issue, it's certainly something to look into.
The bummer of it all is that 75" seems to be where most TVs aren't too cheap apparently. 65" is no problem, but that extra 10" is a huge jump. Example.. the TCL Roku TVs only go up to 65". :(

Will do some more research, as I was hoping to spend less than $1000 on a 1080p HDR 75".

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
New house's main living room wall is in a bad spot and pretty small, pretty sure I have to ditch the projector :/

I could still use the projector but then I'd have to mount my front L/R speakers on the ceiling due to space issues, that's probably not a great idea from what I've read.

Could just get a 65 TCL but I feel like that will be way too small after my 102 inch projector screen. 75 seems like a better solution but then I have to change models and go up in price. (Vizio?)

Really don't know what to do. Can't see myself dropping $2k+ on a 65 C8 because I don't think it'll be big enough. (sitting about 9-10 feet back likely)