HDTVs

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Man that Sony x900h looks amazing. If only I could convince the wife and not fight me on $1300. Apparently Costco carries it under their own numbering so it would get the extra warranty, excellent return policy, and an extra 2% cash back but it’s still a lot of money and I don’t even know if I’d notice a difference with my amateur eye. The Hisense h9f and TCL r625 are the two we are debating. Both about the same price (Except the Hisense seems to be out of stock on Amazon) and 8.0 and 7.8 on rtings overall respectively. The tcl has Roku instead of android which is a plus I guess since we are used to Roku for streaming.

I bought mine at Costco. It’s called X90CH or something there.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
750 nits is a non-starter unless you're putting it in a basement with no natural light entering the room.

I have it in a room with natural light, it’s fine. “Non-starter.” 😜

EA0BCC83-519C-4602-ADEB-C1FC9074CDAE.jpeg

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Tv looks great in that setup. I’m just curious really, but why do you have it on a stand in front of a window to the left of the fireplace instead of mounted above the fireplace?

You’d have to see the room. It’s simply the only place that works. The fireplace is all the way in the corner, so if it was there it’d be all cockeyed to the seating. It’s a funky room. I’d have got the 75” but as you can see it couldn’t fit another inch, ha. Damn Bay Area housing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Rtings preliminary overall for the x900h is 8.0 according to early access people. Full review should be available to the rest of us in a day or so.

I see a handful of reviewers saying to get a lg c9 or whatever because it’s better than the x900h and it’s trash when side by side, but every single time they completely gloss over the fact that the x900h is half the price and you don’t have to worry about burn in. It’s like comparing apples to oranges since it’s a va panel compared to ips.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Rtings preliminary overall for the x900h is 8.0 according to early access people. Full review should be available to the rest of us in a day or so.

I see a handful of reviewers saying to get a lg c9 or whatever because it’s better than the x900h and it’s trash when side by side, but every single time they completely gloss over the fact that the x900h is half the price and you don’t have to worry about burn in. It’s like comparing apples to oranges since it’s a va panel compared to ips.
You can get a C9 these days for around $1200 55" or $1700 65".

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Going to have to go to 75" I think at the end of the year / beginning of next. Current Samsung has started doing the periodic seconds of blackness on another one of the HDMI inputs. Last time switching inputs fixed it for about a year. Inputs on the TV, not receiver. Hmmm, guess I could try that, just hope it isn't that because it is relatively new.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

As I've said earlier in the thread, the rtings.com posters are spastic tards.

I have both the LG B8 and the TCL 617. In a side by side comparison, the B8 owns the 617 but if I didn't have the B8 then I would never know what I'm missing. The 617 is fantastic in nearly every way and is a pleasure to watch. It is also in a living room and so is subject to conditions that would make the B8 seem less ideal if it were there. Also, I constantly worry about burn-in. I wouldn't trade my B8 for another TV, but there are serious reasons besides just cost to consider other TVs and ultimately almost all of these TVs will provide a great watching experience.

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can get a C9 these days for around $1200 55" or $1700 65".

Really? The 65 inch C9 I was looking at was $2400+ On Amazon.
Edit: nevermind, I was looking at the cx . But still 1300 vs 1800 (again on Amazon didn’t research anywhere else yet) still isn’t the same ballpark really.

LiquidDeath LiquidDeath what would you recommend I use if rtings isn’t your preferred review site?

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Really? The C9 I was looking at was $2400+.
Edit: nevermind, I was looking at the c9 and cx

LiquidDeath LiquidDeath what would you recommend I use if rtings isn’t your preferred review site?

Sorry, let me clarify. The posters on rtings.com are annoying. Their reviewers are the best. It is the site to use for TV information. You just have to remember that the difference between a rating of 8 and one of 8.5 isn't as large as it seems. You are better off finding a size and set of features that you like then using rtings to find the best TV for your budget with those parameters.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Really? The 65 inch C9 I was looking at was $2400+ On Amazon.
Edit: nevermind, I was looking at the cx . But still 1300 vs 1800 (again on Amazon didn’t research anywhere else yet) still isn’t the same ballpark really.

Yeah you'll see them pop up on Slickdeals pretty often for $100-200 under what they're going for on Amazon or Best Buy or wherever.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
The fact that you can get a 85" for under $3k is pretty tempting.

I know the prices motivated me.

I haven't seen a lot of great reviews (a lot describe screens broken on delivery or bugged OSs) for this 2020 LG 82": LG 82UN8570PUC : UHD 85 Series 82 inch Class 4K Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ® (81.5'' Diag) | LG USA

$1,600.

But it's got their Gen 3 processor, and I've had one for a month or so now and love it. It reads and plays 4k MKVs direct from USB drive and even upscales WiiU. Console gaming repsonse feels snappy. The onboard sound is pretty decent, too. Only issue I've encountered is a somewhat limited range of audio codecs (not sure if that can be updated), but I'll give it a dedicated CPU input and solve that once AMD releases Renoir.

I took a hard look at the C9s. Came down to 65" C9 for about $2,000 or roll the dice a bit with the unreviewed LCD 82" VA panel for $1,600. I'm satisfied with my choice.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got a question for those of you with Android TVs. Picked up the X900H yesterday and was messing with the apps. Apparently frndly tv isn’t on Android (wife uses it to stream the Hallmark channel)? I’m either blind or it’s not available oddly. Can anyone confirm? I tried a workaround by running the app on my phone then airplay to the tv and it all linked fine, but it’s annoying.

Edit: solved the other questions

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have a LG C6? C8? It's a few years old now, but it's the best TV I've ever owned. I agree with the others above that side by side you absolutely can tell a difference but for the most part, not really when apart. I have Roku, Vizio, and LG TVs in my house, and all provide some great viewing experiences. The reason LG wins? their damn remote, on screen GUI, and snappy processor that makes browsing apps a joy.

Vizio and Roku both have shitty remotes that have to be facing exactly the the right spot on the TV, with nothing in the way for it to register. LG? Point it the opposite direction of the TV and it still works. Seems stupid, but in my house that's a real awesome thing. Also, browsing Youtube, or Netflix, on Vizio or Roku and it feels like you're back on a Pentium Core 2 Duo trying to play the latest hot game. It fucking is laggy and pure shit. LG? Crispy and smooth. These are the things that are now important to me in life on a TV. Lol

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Vizio and Roku both have shitty remotes that have to be facing exactly the the right spot on the TV, with nothing in the way for it to register. LG? Point it the opposite direction of the TV and it still works. Seems stupid, but in my house that's a a really awesome thing.

That’s one of the things I love about my new Sony. The remote can be ir or Bluetooth. I switched it to Bluetooth and now don’t have to point it at the screen. My one wish is that the remote was backlit. Not sure why Sony skimped on that on an otherwise amazing tv.