Headphones & Audio Devices

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I assume you wish to only listen to one at a time, then the Schiit Modi/Magni might be the thing for you! Magni being the headphone amp, and Modi being a selectable 3 input DAC. Connect USB to whichever computer is closest and let the Modi be the sound card, Optical to whichever device is next closest, and stereo RCA to the furthest. This is assuming the PCs have an optical port, which is now pretty standard on many motherboards. The PS4 does for sure.

About $200 shipped for the two units, and you'll find many folks here run that combo myself included.
No, I want to be able to listen to more than one input at once, which is why I wanted a mixer. I use Mouse Without Borders to control multiple PCs at once and I'd like to be able to hear multiple PCs at once too.

I'm not really that interested in a USB DAC, that's a fallback option, but I'm actually pretty happy with the headphone amp on my Soundblaster Z.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
No, I want to be able to listen to more than one input at once, which is why I wanted a mixer. I use Mouse Without Borders to control multiple PCs at once and I'd like to be able to hear multiple PCs at once too.

I'm not really that interested in a USB DAC, that's a fallback option, but I'm actually pretty happy with the headphone amp on my Soundblaster Z.

This is somewhat of an interesting topic. I've often wished I could listen to my TV over my PC headset. If you find a good solution you are happy with I may have to give it a go

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is somewhat of an interesting topic. I've often wished I could listen to my TV over my PC headset. If you find a good solution you are happy with I may have to give it a go
Yeah, I'm trying to build an all-in-one battlestation now that I'm pretty much working from home all the time.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
My old Plantronics GameCom has finally shit the bucket for good (unless I hold fucking statue still, it'll cut in and out and piss off my computer from having to switch audio devices back and forth so fast). RIP, you wonderful budget bastard. So time to get a new set. I'm looking for something that's surround sound, has good, quality bass, a non-shitty mic (though I guess I don't do much voice chat anymore, but just in case, I don't want to be "that guy" with the garbage mic), and cups that go completely around the ear as well as sound that doesn't bleed outside the headset too much.

Found these while looking at some reviews and they seem like a good deal considering the sale (I'm super low on money due to wedding expenses and shitty teeth, so budget is a large concern ATM). Are these a good buy (especially for the sale price) or is there something similar in price but a better option?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
My old Plantronics GameCom has finally shit the bucket for good (unless I hold fucking statue still, it'll cut in and out and piss off my computer from having to switch audio devices back and forth so fast). RIP, you wonderful budget bastard. So time to get a new set. I'm looking for something that's surround sound, has good, quality bass, a non-shitty mic (though I guess I don't do much voice chat anymore, but just in case, I don't want to be "that guy" with the garbage mic), and cups that go completely around the ear as well as sound that doesn't bleed outside the headset too much.

Found these while looking at some reviews and they seem like a good deal considering the sale (I'm super low on money due to wedding expenses and shitty teeth, so budget is a large concern ATM). Are these a good buy (especially for the sale price) or is there something similar in price but a better option?

Its VERY OK to ask for a $500+ set of headphones for a wedding gift instead of some stupid ass salad bowl that you dont give a shit about.

Brahma Brahma is the audiophile here but ill look around again with some stuff and if you want to read some shit.

Mist Mist im still looking around at mixers since I need one too. Its looking like 150-250 without going overboard and easy controls.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>

I have the Game One open back model, and I think they're great. I run my PC to an old stereo receiver that's hooked up to Polk bookshelf speakers and also a turntable. The headset doubles as a pretty quality set of headphones

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is exactly the issue with mine. I will try the fix tonight or tomorrow and report back. Thanks for posting it.
The fix totally worked.

Which pisses me off at the tech support retards that wasted 30 minutes of my time and infuriated me. They have to know this is an issue that happens with 100% of these things 100% of the time. Yet, they defer all responsibility and try to tell people it is a software issue.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

Depending on your needs, instead of gaming headsets with built in mics, I'd always recommend getting a real pair of headphones (probably Sennheiser or beyerdynamic with their less expensive line of closed back headphones) , and a standing mic. The sound is going to be a ton better then a built in gaming headset. Down the road you can make it better by adding in amp/dac.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Depending on your needs, instead of gaming headsets with built in mics, I'd always recommend getting a real pair of headphones (probably Sennheiser or beyerdynamic with their less expensive line of closed back headphones) , and a standing mic. The sound is going to be a ton better then a built in gaming headset. Down the road you can make it better by adding in amp/dac.

This is the way to go. You can also get a clip on mic if a standing one is annoying.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
are the best gaming headphones I've ever used, as long as you want open-back headphones.

I've been using them for 4 years, they were the first thing I bought when I got my current job.

The soundstage is huge and that's really important for open world video games where you don't want the game to sound like you're in a bass-y cave all the time.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sennheiser Game One's have been the best headphones I've ever owned. Covers the ear entirely, great mic, and cloth cups so they don't make me sweat, or I don't feel it like I do faux leahter or vinyl cups do. Also, tons of neat extra features, like interchangeable cord to go between mic/audio in 1 cable for cell phones, or laptops that support that, or the more PC gaming standard of the green/pink cord with the 2 ends. Use these headphones on conference calls on my work laptop/phone all the time. Adjustable volume nob on the right ear, and when you flip the mic boom up it will mute itself.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Just curious, but what would you want to be listening to from separate computers, at the same time? Are the two sound sources from different apps that you wouldn't want to be running on the same computer?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just curious, but what would you want to be listening to from separate computers, at the same time? Are the two sound sources from different apps that you wouldn't want to be running on the same computer?
Yes.

My second screen is actually a second computer. If I want to be on a Webex meeting on my work laptop and still hear my main PC, or if I want to watch streams/videos/movies on my laptop while playing a video game on my main PC, I want everything coming through one pair of headphones.

Mouse Without Borders is awesome. Having your second monitor be a whole separate computer is great for various performance reasons, like the stutter you frequently get when playing high refresh rate G-sync on your main screen with a video playing on your 60 hz second monitor.

Anyway, the solution for now was to just use the mixer built into my sound card. You can pipe the audio into your line-in port, and have it play straight through, as long as you don't want to use it as a mic port.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What would be the cleanest audio output from a computer? An output that would not be effected by anything at all, just simply raw, digital output. A usb port? The optical port would be running from the onboard soundcard, or an installed soundcard so its quality would reliant upon the quality of that hardware.

Since my old Klipsch 2.1's finally died (RIP), I'll be using headphones while gaming / listening to music. My headphones sound really nice for the price I paid for them (Sennheiser 598 SE), so I've been thinking of upgrading my FiiO USB DAC to something better (probably modi/magni setup), also with more inputs (computer / ps4). Next would be a pair of powered speakers that could be connected to the probable Modi/Magni setup, as long as the those speakers had a remote power/volume.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes.

My second screen is actually a second computer. If I want to be on a Webex meeting on my work laptop and still hear my main PC, or if I want to watch streams/videos/movies on my laptop while playing a video game on my main PC, I want everything coming through one pair of headphones.

Mouse Without Borders is awesome. Having your second monitor be a whole separate computer is great for various performance reasons, like the stutter you frequently get when playing high refresh rate G-sync on your main screen with a video playing on your 60 hz second monitor.

Anyway, the solution for now was to just use the mixer built into my sound card. You can pipe the audio into your line-in port, and have it play straight through, as long as you don't want to use it as a mic port.
Nice, I'll be doing that once I upgrade my current computer this xmas.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's the best mic these days for streaming audio quality?

Blue yeti is tossed around but I'm not sure about them

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's the best mic these days for streaming audio quality?

Blue yeti is tossed around but I'm not sure about them
I'm not sure any of them really matter? but I'm not an audiophile guy. Using your headphones and talking is fine, but then others listen to the same thing and are like omg that sounds so horrible. ahhhh