Health Care Thread

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
My Humana plan is changing a little 2013 to 2014.

41 single male self-employed

2013 plan : 127 a month premium, no deductible, 25 co-pays, no drug plan.
2014 plan : 288 a month premium, 3500 deductible, 35 co-pays, drug plan.

So yea just going to say a slight increase in my costs as I do not qualify for any subsidies.
1932 more in premiums and 3500 before coverage kicks in, but at least I get a drug plan for that once or twice a year I get antibiotics.

So yea.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
There is no letter saying "Your monthly is going from X to Y". I know what my monthly bill is, and there is a new chart showing what a 38 year old with a "gold" class plan pays.

I'm not digging it up just to make you feel better, because fuck you for questioning my word in the first place.

Also, what do you care if Obamacare is costing the hospital $600,000 a year more? Also, does it say how much more money it is going to make as more people with health care come in?

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Also, what do you care if Obamacare is costing the hospital $600,000 a year more? Also, does it say how much more money it is going to make as more people with health care come in?
Because they are passing the charges off on the employees, which means..............Obamacare is costing us, and everyone who works at the hospital more money. So its not saving us money, its raising our premiums. Which is in direct contradiction to your statement that its going to save money. Which is isn't. That's fucking great your paying less, I don't wishyouill will, just sucks for all the people who have to pay more.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
127 a month with no deductible? How in the fuck do you get that? At 32 (the last time I had insurance) I couldn't have gotten it that cheap even if I had one of those plans that cap so low it'd only pay for half an asprin. I was looking at shit like $250 with $5000 deductibles and $75 copays while unemployed. I took my chances instead.

Speaking of, tad obviously didn't read his own link. Goodbye, garbage health care plans that prey on the stupid.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider

So yea just going to say a slight increase in my costs as I do not qualify for any subsidies.
1932 more in premiums and 3500 before coverage kicks in, but at least I get a drug plan for that once or twice a year I get antibiotics.

So yea.
At 41 years even if you are healthy, having a drug plan doesn't sound like a bad idea. That is unless you bankroll the kind of money where sudden expensive drug costs don't phase you.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I'm just curious if anyone here has ever incurred outrageous hospital bills. I had excruciating pain in my ankle due to what I think was gout, went to the ER, and was charged 2 grand for having my blood pressure and an x-ray taken. I refused to pay it and it never affected my credit.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm just curious if anyone here has ever incurred outrageous hospital bills. I had excruciating pain in my ankle due to what I think was gout, went to the ER, and was charged 2 grand for having my blood pressure and an x-ray taken. I refused to pay it and it never affected my credit.
See? The old system worked.

Gauss_sl

shitlord

So yea.
That's crazy. Then again, this particular part of the law has always been about getting healthy people into the insurance pool, not benefiting healthy people really. Sort of a digression, but insurance smacks of a regressive tax to me because people with more money can afford the risk of cheaper high deductible plans. Even when you do need insurance payouts, they are always looking for a way to screw you over either by not paying or by scrimping on quality. I am skeptical that such behavior can just be legislated away.

I currently have a high-deductible plan ($1250) through work, and they claim to spend $4k/year on me (healthy 27 male) in insurance costs. I have a HSA and pay my meager health costs with sweet tax-free dollars, while the rest of the money gets invested making a return higher than what is possible with a savings account. I pay nothing for this insurance, but we'll see what happens next year.

That said, I voted that I am happy with the ACA because I did benefit from being on my parents' fancy government workers insurance from age 23-26.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Just looked over my healthcare records. Over the past 5 years I have been to the doctor 7 times total.
2009 1
2010 2
2011 1
2012 1
2013 2

Got antibiotics only the two times this year.
Looking back they made pretty much pure profit off of me the last 5 years.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just looked over my healthcare records. Over the past 5 years I have been to the doctor 7 times total.
2009 1
2010 2
2011 1
2012 1
2013 2

Got antibiotics only the two times this year.
Looking back they made pretty much pure profit off of me the last 5 years.
Welcome to how insurance works? Someone has to pay for those people getting $300k operations.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Oh I am well aware how insurance works. 2006-2008 I was a service agent for Geico.

That's auto insurance verse medical but it is the same premise. The riskier you are the more you pay. The more coverages you want the more you pay.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The usual case is the reverse.

Where Obamacare premiums will soar - Aug. 6, 2013

Also I'll be interested in your 2015 coverage. I'm reasonably sure it'll rise from $350/month.

The horror... of reality intruding on your anecdote.
That article is horseshit from the first sentence pretty much - the increases in FL and OH are because those states had ridiculously low end packages with insane deductibles and copays and the like that are no longer available because they're not outside of the scope of insurance that's allowed.

You used to be able to get a plan in Florida that was LITERALLY under $50/mo for "health insurance" - but it had something like a maximum annual payout of $200, a $50 copay and basically was used up in a single doctor visit and as a result never made a lick of sense to use - so no shit that the cheapest plan in those states went drastically up where literally useless plans with the word "health insurance" attached to them.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wait a minute. Unless I am missing something, your simply implying your new plans are due to Obamacare, because no where on there is the ACA mentioned. I'm looking at it, and it is showing your new plans available, compared to last years plan right? And unless I'm missing it, its not showing your cost per month either.

I don't see that. But maybe I'm just missing it. Its not stating your monthly premium due.

Anyway, my point was we got a letter from the hospital where my wife works informing us, due to Obamacare, it was costing the hospital $600,000 more a year, so now we have do all these gay surveys and health checkups or they buttfuck us with higher premiums. Only now my wife says she threw it away so I look like a dickhead.........oh well.
Metallic Tier = ACA plan - that's what mandates every plan have a Metallic Tier distinction. So, yes it is - its an old plan adjusted for the ACA.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Some people are convinced we have nothing else to do but sit around lying to them on a message board to trick them into something that has no benefit for us. It's like I'm shilling for no gain here.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Hey Zauhn, that was a High Deductible plan right, with an HSA? The biggest thing I'm worried about is that my HSA will go away. People here at my company can't tell me, when I ask they just say we have new benefits managers and they are still negotiating. Since the HSA was a W thing and most of their constituents don't use them, I'm worried they took the opportunity to torpedo the whole deal.

Also, supertouch is clearly bankrupt now after his bout with gout. Don't think you can fool us.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Sorry, I'm not very insurance lingo-y, Hoss, so not sure what you're asking.

I can say my insurance is probably a comparably shitty plan compared to most due to being through "open enrollment" and not through a job, in addition to a mess of pre-existing conditions and such.

Part of the thing with Oct 1st, is that a lot of people have to decide to shop around or not. Because many insurance companies are adjusting their services (like mine did) to stay competitive to the upcoming exchanges and keep customers, but alternately you can shop around at the new exchanges. So for a company with dozens or hundreds or thousands of employees, they are probably still shopping and brokering deals to get a final answer to what they're going to have for their employees.

In hindsight, I suspect this is one of the reasons why I got a letter, being a direct subscriber, and most people didn't, is because most of your companies are still negotiating.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Zhaun, I think if you were in a HDHP you'd know, but holy shit, your deductible looks terrible if its not paired with an HSA. Actually, I looked it up and it looks like you might have as high a deductible as you legally can without qualifying for an HSA. According to wiki, the minimum deductible in 2013 was $1250 and the minimum out of pocket is $6250 (to qualify for an HSA). If you had an HSA, you'd have another bank account where you put pre-tax dollars to use to pay for health care costs. At my company, the HD plan with the maximum legal contribution to the HSA is still cheaper than the regular plan. If I ever feel like I've got enough in the HSA account, I can stop those contributions anytime I want and make it super cheap.

I'm worried that since on paper, the HD plans look shitty, they will be terminated. But the reality is that my health care costs less because 100% of my deductibles and co-pays are paid for out of that pre-tax account, that I think of as just part of the premium.

I haven't seen anything definitive about HSAs under obamacare. I think its written so that it depends on interpretation.

If anyone has looked through the exchanges, did you see HSA plans?

Anyway, if they're not going away, you might want to look into switching to an HSA yourself. If nothing else, you can funnel those deductibles and co-pays through the pre-tax account.