Health Care Thread

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly I'd prefer the computer guy from The Losers over any computer guy from The A-Team

Disp_sl

shitlord
None of the promises of the ACA have come true. The cost curve is still bending upwards and the same amount of people or more are uninsured. The hope that the young will sign up to cover the costs of the old is a pipe dream. It is cheaper and easier for them to pay the fine and just sign up when they get sick.
There is a 3 month enrollment period (well 6 months for the first year) and if you miss it you're screwed. So that scenario of person waiting til they get sick to get coverage probably isn't going to be wise.

I'm a registered agent with CoveredCA, finally got approved on Monday after having all my training/docs/fees paid for 3 weeks. The online system in CA is fucked and they're only doing paper apps right now, and really nothing is ready. I'm personally going to be saving $3500/year with the exchange plans.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On A-Team vs B-Team under Federal law they're supposed to take lowest bid. So B-Team is almost always guaranteed...

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what's the story if they dont fix this website, which seems to be how it's going to go until at least late November.

Will they just delay the mandate and subsidize what they lost? I'm guessing it's still all a matter of having enough young healthy people sign on to pay for everyone else.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Republicans are trying to give a delay on the individual mandate until the website has been running steadily for some period of time (3 months I think, because that was the original length of time between the website going live and the mandate going into effect). That's a common sense idea that should pass with no problems.

I doubt the insurance companies will get any subsidies though. Did they get any in the last 2 years when they had been forced to cover people with pre-existing conditions?

Vaclav

They've been getting them the past two years, yes - this year is expected to be less painful for them with the new enrollees to make up for them losing/scaling back the subsidies this year.

And considering the internet is only one gateway to getting the ACA (although it's the only one in a few states that directly had their legislation hamper it) - I'm not really sure that makes sense... it's just another way of saying "Oh, you fucked with the system to get what you want, HERE YOU GO".

States like mine that actually have the personal advisers (there's an acroynym I'm forgetting) like they're supposed to already are pretty much on top of their cases without a backlog - I talked to ours for like 15 min as a damn walk-in without breaking a sweat, setting up a policy doesn't make sense for me with my Medicare not lapsing until I've been working over a year though, but in theory I could've set up my policy with her and been in the system today. (or "processing" at the worst)

Vaclav

Why do you have Medicare
Neurologic disability from my genetic condition that took me a number of years to get under control, thus no recent work, but now I've gotten it under control and I'd rather work than mooch for as long as my health holds. (Which might not be long, maybe I'm in a short upswing, but dammit I'm gonna make the best of the time I have that I can work...)

Ran the gamut from falls (most common issue), pain/weakness to even a couple rare absent seizures while driving. [Last was actually when I decided "Ok, fine I'll take leave" which eventually led into me retiring and taking disability for these past few years - wife didn't drive back then, so didn't have the option of being dropped off even... and 45 min would've been "fun" to pay a taxi for daily]

a_skeleton_03: My eyes are great - nothing holds me back from doing stuff with them =p [Except bright lights I guess - fuck driving into the sun without shades]

Dis

Confirmed Male
Been trying to do the online with no success. Going to call I guess to compare rates with what my current employer provides. My wife's carrier CIGNA, cut the living shit out of her health benefits and raised their premiums. Silently everyone is blaming ObamaCare, but I think it is just Corporate greed. Anywho more than likely we will move them to my carrier (AETNA) who does not seem to be gutting our benefits. Trying to see if an outside carrier can give similar benefits for cheaper or same price with better benefits.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I found it funny that when a woman in my workplace went to the doctor today, under this new health plan, they had a questionnaire of things they needed to ask as they moved over her medical records from paper to digital.

The doctor was required to ask her what her sexual orientation was, and whether or not she owned a gun. And if she did, how many/what kind of guns. Seriously.

Why is this relevant?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I found it funny that when a woman in my workplace went to the doctor today, under this new health plan, they had a questionnaire of things they needed to ask as they moved over her medical records from paper to digital.

The doctor was required to ask her what her sexual orientation was, and whether or not she owned a gun. And if she did, how many/what kind of guns. Seriously.

Why is this relevant?
Supposedly these are questions that should always be asked, along with drinking and smoking, by doctors for years and years now because they supposedly have to do with your health risk factors, like drinking and smoking.

Though I know for all the dozens of doctors I've been to the past 10-15 years I don't think any have asked me about guns or gayness.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

Why is this relevant?
gays have a higher risk of gay diseases due to unsafe gay behavior

guns are self explanatory. households with guns are more likely to have injuries than non-gun households

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Got a good kick out of Obama announcing his 'IT Surge' to fix the website. Fucking A man, surges are political gold since W left office. I guess it's the new way to say "we're throwing more money at it"

Supposedly Sebellius said she had called the IT contractors and told them to send in the A-team, double down on their efforts and give 150%. Did any reporters ask yet how long the administration had been aware that the contractors had their B teams working on the website giving 75%?
Thats what happens when you have the private sector do the job.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
You know how every time something tragic happens, people ask "why were the warning signs missed?" Well, doctors are pretty much on the front lines when it comes to those warning signs. I once jokingly replied with something like "no I haven't stabbed anyone today" and that shit is probably in a file at a police station somewhere now.

They aren't required to ask you specific questions that I know of, though. What they ask is pretty much up to them. (could vary by state?)

An amusing case came up in florida where they tried to make it illegal to ask you if you own a gun. That got bitchslapped down by the Supreme Court. There was a also a chain email going around for months claiming Obamacare was forcing doctors to ask you about guns which was complete horseshit.

You can, of course, lie or refuse to answer. Because you wouldn't want your guns taken away if you were to have a psychotic break requiring hospitalization and shock therapy.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
On A-Team vs B-Team under Federal law they're supposed to take lowest bid. So B-Team is almost always guaranteed...
Well, one of the interesting things I remember them doing during the stimulus was making a rule that they actually had to pick the second lowest bid, rather than the lowest when an outside contractor is picked.

Maybe they should have gone that route with the ACA website?

I dunno. You'd think that's what they would have done. Obviously the lowest cost option is almost always going to be the worst.

You can, of course, lie or refuse to answer.
Maybe I'm misreading the conversation, but if you're talking to a doctor who is reporting your information for insurance coverage, and you lie, does or does that not constitute insurance fraud, or at least give them justification to deny coverage later?

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Maybe I'm misreading the conversation, but if you're talking to a doctor who is reporting your information for insurance coverage, and you lie, does or does that not constitute insurance fraud, or at least give them justification to deny coverage later?
Pretty sure the doctors are asking to have it on your medical file. Not sure if the insurance company looks at that or not, but I don't think they are asking specifically for the insurance company.

Again, it is arguably to help treat you. People with guns in there homes are more likely to accidently shoot themselves than people without, for example. I find the questions questionable in this day and age, but technically that is the reason, to help the doctor to diagnose you and stay on top of your health concerns.

Lying to your doctor is always an option, but usually not a good one.

edit: Here is what I just received in an IM asking a more knowledgeable person than me:
gay men in some areas are still more at risk for AIDS, so they get more counseling. Lesbians, probably don't need as much in the way of birth control, etc.
So... eh. Guess it makes sense, still find it a bit questionable.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Statistically, i am positie that there are greater dangers in everyday homes that cause more injuries, both minor and major, than the injuries that occur with guns.

Are they asking if they have stairs in their homes or noslip material an handrails in ther showers

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Statistically, i am positie that there are greater dangers in everyday homes that cause more injuries, both minor and major, than the injuries that occur with guns.

Are they asking if they have stairs in their homes or noslip material an handrails in ther showers
No, and I'm not saying I agree with it, but statistically the odds of you accidently shooting yourself probably skyrocket based on if you do or don't have a gun in the house.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Do they ask about swimming pools? That's more dangerous and more relevant.

Well, one of the interesting things I remember them doing during the stimulus was making a rule that they actually had to pick the second lowest bid, rather than the lowest when an outside contractor is picked.

Maybe they should have gone that route with the ACA website?

I dunno. You'd think that's what they would have done. Obviously the lowest cost option is almost always going to be the worst.
Contracts are and always have been awarded to the company or person that's got the best relationship with whoever is in charge. Even if they have to disqualify some of the better looking bids for bullshit reasons to make it look legit.