Health Care Thread

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Doesnt matter considering their vote was irrelevant.
That's some pretty shitty logic, Big P, but I respect the audacity. In no way are their votes irrelevant. A Republican vote for single-payer is just as good as a Democrat vote. It's not like Republican votes just stop counting the instant the other party obtains a majority, and Republicans don't somehow get to shirk blame for their failure to support correct policies just because their party doesn't have "control" of the Senate/House.

What % of the people who support single-payer are Democrats, and what % are Republicans?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
That's some pretty shitty logic, Big P, but I respect the audacity. In no way are their votes irrelevant. A Republican vote for single-payer is just as good as a Democrat vote. It's not like Republican votes just stop counting the instant the other party obtains a majority, and Republicans don't somehow get to shirk blame for their failure to support correct policies just because their party doesn't have "control" of the Senate/House.
I think his point was the Dems had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate and controlled the House and passed the Affordable Care Act without a single R vote. If this is the case, they should've just went with single payer if that's what they wanted.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I think his point was the Dems had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate and controlled the House and passed the Affordable Care Act without a single R vote. If this is the case, they should've just went with single payer if that's what they wanted.
Don't forget that they didn't have a majority in the Senate while Al Franken's win was being challenged for months on end by his republican challenger. Then shortly after he took his seat, Kennedy died and they lost the majority again until someone was appointed to his seat for the interim and was able to vote on passing the Senate version of the bill that was negotiated with members of the GOP on Max Bauchus' committee. Bauchus refused to invite single payer proponents to the table so it was never going to happen. Then Scott Brown won Kennedy's old seat at which point everyone thought that the ACA was dead. Some parliamentary manoeuvres later and we have the ACA.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
But but I thought Obama RAMMED THROUGH whatever he wanted, exactly as he wanted it!? I mean, he bypassed congress, ignored the constitution, declared himself Emperor Hussein Obongo and gave us his definitive version of the ACA. So why didn't he give us the version Bill Clinton won the Presidency campaigning for and never managed to even get written?

In order for socialized health care to happen, the old system has to completely fail. And that's why it is awesomely ironic that Republicans are the ones working so hard to make the system fail. By undermining the ACA, they are fucking over insurance companies, who in turn have to fuck over their customers. At some point this shit will stop and the ACA will be left to work or fail on its own. Or Congress will even start working to IMPROVE it rather than tear it down. You know, what they should have been doing from the very fucking start.

Imagine if all the effort to destroy the ACA had instead been directed towards fixing its problems or just making it better. Nope, sorry, partisan politics won't allow that. So instead everything will collapse and the government will have to take over and we'll wind up with the Republican's worst nightmare. Fun!

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The idea that the minority party has no responsibility to contribute to the legislative process is completely idiotic.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The GOP's only "contribution" in the last 5 years is to obstruct or fuck up everything they can in the hopes that it all gets blamed on the Kenyan Moslim Commie Fascist. How exactly is anything good supposed to come from that?

The GOP's actions over the last 5 years has all be ensured that I will never vote Republican ever again.

For fuck's sake, high school educated redneck dipshits are STILL posting birther nonsense on their goddamn facebook. That is the face of the GOP voter.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Don't forget that they didn't have a majority in the Senate while Al Franken's win was being challenged for months on end by his republican challenger. Then shortly after he took his seat, Kennedy died and they lost the majority again until someone was appointed to his seat for the interim and was able to vote on passing the Senate version of the bill that was negotiated with members of the GOP on Max Bauchus' committee. Bauchus refused to invite single payer proponents to the table so it was never going to happen. Then Scott Brown won Kennedy's old seat at which point everyone thought that the ACA was dead. Some parliamentary manoeuvres later and we have the ACA.
So ademocratsenator fucked everything up? Got it.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Something like 4 republicans voted for it technically - it gets buried by most media though, but if you look at the votes on the Congressional website its there clear as day.
citation needed, only person you could consider was the lady on the senate committee to bring the bill to a vote.

The bill then passed by a vote of 60-39 on December 24, 2009, with all Democrats and two independents voting for, and all Republicans voting against (except for Jim Bunning, who did not vote).

The House passed the Senate bill with a 219-212 vote on March 21, 2010, with 34 Democrats and all 178 Republicans voting against it.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Affordable Care Act- It takes a 2nd grade mathematics education to realize this shit won't work. No fucking way. Just another government plan that will fail horribly and fuck hardworking U.S. Citizens.
For anyone who voted yes to this-Your a fucking idiot.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
And yet a whole bunch of people with rather significantly more education than 2nd grade say differently. But I guess any conservative will tell you that school past that point is all just fancy book learnin liberal lies.

The old way wasn't working. Comparing our quality of health care to the rest of the developed world should prove that to anyone with a functioning brain.

Are there better methods than the ACA? Of course there are. Would they get past Congress? No.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The old way wasn't working. Comparing our quality of health care to the rest of the developed world should prove that to anyone with a functioning brain.
I've got a conservative friend that thinks the entire rest of the world lies about their stats.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I've got a conservative friend that thinks the entire rest of the world lies about their stats.
But but we have way more people than each of those other countries! There's no way their system could work here, it won't scale! Plus, those countries don't have American Inventors!

Says the parrot.

Okay maybe the last bit is just what they always say when crime rates are being compared. Sometimes they even try to be coy about it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Not when we have knuckle dragging retards looking out only for themselves. I bet most would identify themselves as some form of Christian as well. Guess they don't subscribe to their Lords teaching and philosophy.