Health Problems

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I'm currently on Gabapentin and Amitriptyline, none of which has liver-related side effects. While Gabapentin has only been out 20 years, Amitriptyline has been on the market for around 60 years.

Both are to help the severe nerve pain I have in my foot and leg. The only thing they both cause for me pretty much is drowsiness and dry mouth.

My neurologist and the office I go to are the best in my state and in the top 10 nationwide, I trust them well enough.
Both Gaba and Ami are known to cause elevated ALAT/ASAT from time to time. Ami is mainly metabolized hepatically.
It's possible to be on these drugs for years before it shows. Potentiated by whatever, infection, booze, whatnot.
Probably a good idea to get the US and further analysis, bloodworks. Possibly a break from the drugs, rotation or whatever your doc suggest, til your bloodwork is within normal range.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've posted this many times over the years but singling it out yet again just because I still see guys that haven't switched... For years doctors wanted to prescribe Lyrica/pregabalin instead of Neurontin/gabapentin for nerve damage. But often Neurontin was prescribed instead due insurance issues. The patent on Lyrica expired a few years ago and there are generics available now. Anyone taking Neurontin for nerve damage relief should probably switch to Lyrica. I could immediately tell I was having way fewer side effects on my system than Neurontin did. Switching to Lyrica from Neurontin felt like a cloud was lifted from my brain.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I've posted this many times over the years but singling it out yet again just because I still see guys that haven't switched... For years doctors wanted to prescribe Lyrica/pregabalin instead of Neurontin/gabapentin for nerve damage. But often Neurontin was prescribed instead due insurance issues. The patent on Lyrica expired a few years ago and there are generics available now. Anyone taking Neurontin for nerve damage relief should probably switch to Lyrica. I could immediately tell I was having way fewer side effects on my system than Neurontin did. Switching to Lyrica from Neurontin felt like a cloud was lifted from my brain.
Yeah. Over here it's a price issue. Or was. Still hear ptt talk about feeling the difference in formulation between lyrica and generic pregabalin too.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
What are you taking the gabapentin for? Pregabalin is a better substitute in many cases but gabapentin has been one of those "panacea" sort of medications that gets prescribed off label a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if years of gabapentin has been jamming up some liver enzymes. Pregabalin is preferable for many applications because the effective dose is much smaller. Some guys on gabapentin are taking multiple grams a day and I don't think it's healthy.

Me, I was given gabapentin and then switched to pregabalin to handle the nerve damage from my chemotherapy. Switching from Neurontin to Lyrica improved my memory greatly. That alone was worth the switch.

I haven’t been on it for years, I’ve been on it for maybe 8 or 10 months.

I was on Pregabalin before gabapentin, it didn’t help. I went through about half a dozen other medications before coming to the two I’m on. One of the unfortunate things with nerve pain is different meds work for it for different people.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wifes calcium came back at a 12 when like 30 should be the low end? Wondering how much this might be responsible for tired/ down.

They didn't say anything other than supplement. Figured do 15-20k iu for a week then down to like 10 routine.

Anything she should take with it for better absorption etc.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wifes calcium came back at a 12 when like 30 should be the low end? Wondering how much this might be responsible for tired/ down.

They didn't say anything other than supplement. Figured do 15-20k iu for a week then down to like 10 routine.

Anything she should take with it for better absorption etc.

citracal max and id add magnesium for absorption. regular magnesium citrate 250mg. also would add 2,000 IU's of D3 on top of the daily citracal as 500iu in the supp itself isn't that much. Its available in most pharmacies and mixed convenience stores in their supplement sections.

1677488482302.png

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
citracal max and id add magnesium for absorption. regular magnesium citrate 250mg. also would add 2,000 IU's of D3 on top of the daily citracal as 500iu in the supp itself isn't that much. Its available in most pharmacies and mixed convenience stores in their supplement sections.

View attachment 460735

I'd do a vitamin D level test, vitamin D deficiency can definitely cause low blood calcium. If vit D is low, you probably want to get 10k IU per day for 3 months.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
There’s also something about K2 involved with calcium levels, but the details escape me.

• 1Like

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There’s also something about K2 involved with calcium levels, but the details escape me.
Yeah, K2 is to make sure the calcium goes into the right place, i.e. the bones rather than your arteries.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, K2 is to make sure the calcium goes into the right place, i.e. the bones rather than your arteries.
Ah, that's right. I'm taking both, don't remember the exact dosage but the D3 is a little higher than I'd like as a daily so I take them every other day.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I have a bunch of tests coming back that are pointing toward something auto immune related.

got an appointment scheduled for end of March.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
yes, however auto immune stuff runs in my family and I already have one, but the levels it’s throwing out now are that it’s spread to something else which I’ve always been at risk for.
Sucks. I only asked because of the rumors of the stab and possible immune system issues.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah if it ends up being that, I’ll get in line for the .17 cents that’s my share of whatever class action takes place. Lol

Goatface

1677613820563.png

anyone used a posture corrector?
been having sharp muscle spasms for over a week, in the pic on the right, just above the middle vertical loop. after looking a ton of pixs, best guess is posture related.