Hearthstone

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Did that the other day. All the wild sets, and let me craft a new Legendary!

Also, been hovering Rank 19/20. I thought I'd be able to push far enough to get further than that, especially with Meta deck like Even Paladin, but just proves that I'm not good. LOL

I usually get to like rank 5 before I tire of the grind. But never when new expansion's drop because I am constantly trying new shit and totally failing with it. lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Encountered a ton of Shuddercock today. Thinking on it again I do hate this deck . For the same reason I utterly despised Freeze Mage. Stall the game as long as possible. Kill you with a turn you could do utterly nothing to stop.

Lame as fuck and completely unfun.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Had a terrible grind last night, had like a 30% win rate. Dropped from 3 to 5 again. Bought some packs with my grinded gold, opened a Golden Malygos and then later a golden The Beast. Beast will prolly get dusted, but Maly is one of my favorite cards in the game, ever.

Now i have to build a deck around him and play the fuck out of it, but there are no good ones in this meta. Good thing i can't drop past rank 5...

• 2Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
1524237385880.png

Should I feel bad?

• 2Worf

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Ben Brode is leaving

A message from Ben Brode - Hearthstone Forums

To my friends, coworkers, and the Hearthstone community,

After 15 years at Blizzard and almost 10 years working on Hearthstone, I have made the incredibly difficult decision to embark on a new journey.

Man, that was a hard sentence to type.

I was 20 years old when I started here. My first role was ‘Night Crew Game Tester.’

Since then, Blizzard has been good to me. I got to cast esports events, announce BlizzCons, play in Rock Bands, write raps, and work with incredible people. But the biggest opportunity came in 2008 when I joined “Team 5.” The Hearthstone Team.

I am very proud of Hearthstone. I think we made an impact on the industry. People tell me that Hearthstone brought their family closer together, or that they became close friends with people they met at a Fireside Gathering. Others tell me they were inspired by Hearthstone to become game developers themselves. It’s incredible to be a part of something that touches so many people.

But as proud as I am of Hearthstone, I am even more proud of the team.

There is no team like the Hearthstone team. People have come and gone over the 10 years Hearthstone has been in development, but there’s something special about the Soul of the Team. We knew our most important product wasn’t the game, but the team itself. A great team can do great things, and I think the Hearthstone team is the greatest. It isn’t just a job. It’s a shared passion. We get to come to work and focus on the game we love and try to make it better every day.

We frequently check the Hearthstone subreddit looking for opportunities to improve the game. I have loved the silly memes, engaging in spirited debates, or even just being held accountable to our shared high standards for the game. We try to be highly available on social media, and I think our team helped push the envelope in this regard. It has been especially satisfying to me to see the team step up over the last few years and help engage in these ways as I became more focused on direction and less on actual design.

I get too much credit by virtue of being a public face, but the 80+ people on the development team are still there, and they are the ones actually making the cards, brawls, events, missions, and features. I am confident the game is in the best possible hands, and I’m excited to see where a new generation of leaders takes Hearthstone from here.

I am very fortunate to be able to take a crazy risk right now in my life, and I’m excited to be scrappy and a little scared. I’m going to help start a new company. We’ll probably make games, but we haven’t figured anything else out, yet. I’m looking forward to designing, programming, and actually creating things again. I’m going to miss the on-campus Starbucks, though. Dang.

Blizzard, thank you for taking a chance on me, and thank you for taking a chance on Hearthstone. I can’t wait to see what you do next.

And to the passionate community of players – I will miss you, and the laughs we shared together. Thank you for making being a part of Hearthstone so much fun for me. I’ve loved every minute.

Sincerely,

Ben Brode

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I've never really played Standard (or Wild for that matter) except for briefly playing pirate warrior when it was really overpowered. Mostly just stick to Arena.

Noticed I had a Kathrena in my collection so I crafted Rexxar and after a few iterations I'm playing this. Doesn't seem to be doing badly, got me from 19 to 12 with only a couple losses after tweaking it. Wondering what to change next.

### Midrange beasts
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
# 2x (2) Plated Beetle
# 1x (2) Venomstrike Trap
# 1x (2) Wandering Monster
# 2x (3) Animal Companion
# 2x (3) Bearshark
# 2x (3) Deadly Shot
# 1x (3) Eaglehorn Bow
# 2x (3) Kill Command
# 2x (4) Flanking Strike
# 2x (4) Houndmaster
# 2x (5) Corpse Widow
# 1x (5) Explosive Shot
# 1x (5) Lesser Emerald Spellstone
# 1x (5) Tundra Rhino
# 1x (6) Deathstalker Rexxar
# 2x (6) Savannah Highmane
# 1x (8) Kathrena Winterwisp
#
AAECAR8IigO7Bf4MncwC39IC49IChtMCtuoCC/sBqAK1A8kE6wfFCO0J180Cxs4C3dIC6uYCAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

• 1Like

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Ben Brode is leaving

I'll be the one to say it:

good.

This game has been poorly managed for years and needs a serious change in philosophy from the top down. Gold acquisition is RIDICULOUSLY slow. Balance changes almost nonexistent. Refusal to buff shitty cards. Alternate play modes maybe once an expansion and then completely unsupported afterwards. No in-game tournament mode after years of requests, myriad other issues that a company making this much money could put a modicum of effort into. Team 5 has been incredibly stupid and lazy and all i can hope is that a new game director wants to make a splash and a good impression by doing SOMETHING more than just sitting on his ass and laughing.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
His story reads out like the American fucking Dream. Started at the bottom as a Game Tester, and worked his way to where he is now. That's pretty amazing, regardless of what he ended up doing with those promotions. Kinda jelly about it.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'll be the one to say it:

good.

This game has been poorly managed for years and needs a serious change in philosophy from the top down. Gold acquisition is RIDICULOUSLY slow. Balance changes almost nonexistent. Refusal to buff shitty cards. Alternate play modes maybe once an expansion and then completely unsupported afterwards. No in-game tournament mode after years of requests, myriad other issues that a company making this much money could put a modicum of effort into. Team 5 has been incredibly stupid and lazy and all i can hope is that a new game director wants to make a splash and a good impression by doing SOMETHING more than just sitting on his ass and laughing.

On the otherhand... I always got the feeling Brode had a LOT of ambition but was being held down by corporate/colleagues/etc. The Shudderwock story being a Prime example. He wanted a fix and they told him no... ?
I could easily see a Director that just follows the status quo and is afraid to think outside the box & screw up something that's been a money printing machine.

I also see Brode as lacking the balls to really push Hearthstone. So it's really tough to say and all hinges on who his replacement is.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Whatever vaporware his company puts on kickstarter is guaranteed to get fully backed.

Crone

I didn't realize I have all the PvE parts of the game without having bought anything? just don't have the cards?

Just started doing the Frozen Throne stuff, and that's pretty awesome. Fight the same bosses as you did in WoW. I got my ass handed to me by the first boss, but was still really cool.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't realize I have all the PvE parts of the game without having bought anything? just don't have the cards?

Just started doing the Frozen Throne stuff, and that's pretty awesome. Fight the same bosses as you did in WoW. I got my ass handed to me by the first boss, but was still really cool.

PVE has started being free since Frozen Throne, yea. There are some "Adventures" you probably can't access because you need to pay: Adventure

Edit: The Free PvE doesn't give you cards, it's more for just a card back and to do something different.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ben Brode quits Blizzard to start his own company.

Wow does he have an unreasonably high self esteem

• 1Like

Crone

So, depending on who you ask, I went full retard and spent another $83 on Amazon Coins.

Which 2 expansions should I spend them on for the 40 packs each? I was thinking Frozen Throne and Ungoro? I don't know. Thanks!

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Ideally you should see a deck you want to build and see how many cards from those expansions you need.. however, 80 packs won't get you much that you need across 2 expansions tbh, you're going to need to craft most things. MIGHT be better to just get more witchwood packs.... you're basically saying you're rolling the dice to get the good legends of those expansions. Realistically youre going to get all the useless ones.

You may want to hold coins til next expansion too.

Crone

Ideally you should see a deck you want to build and see how many cards from those expansions you need.. however, 80 packs won't get you much that you need across 2 expansions tbh, you're going to need to craft most things. MIGHT be better to just get more witchwood packs.... you're basically saying you're rolling the dice to get the good legends of those expansions. Realistically youre going to get all the useless ones.

You may want to hold coins til next expansion too.
Wut?

I know you said a few posts back that there isn't an easy way to "catch-up" other than dropping big money on TONS of packs. Well more than $100 worth. But help me understand. Another 80 packs won't do shit, so it's either go F2P and spend 2 years earning gold, for packs, and arena , etc, or drop $1000 on packs? there is nothing in between?

There's TONS of non-legendary cards that are in decks from other expansions that I don't have, and I figure getting those would be helpful versus not having them at all, but you're saying no?

Am I missing something?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
There is a decent in-between.

Definitely get 10 packs from each the older standard expansions, because the new expansion timer is that you get 1 guaranteed legendary in the first 10 packs, so do that. and it'll also get you a fair chunk of the commons for each set.

Then - you might want to hit up KOFT. the death knights are some of the most powerful cards, and out of any legendaries, they are likely to get more support for their archetype in the next couple expansions.
with your dust, you should be stingy with it and not spend it on legendaries unless you REALLY want to play that particular deck. you're going to want to spend your dust on mostly epics with 1 or two legendaries that are just simply required for the deck to function, like quests. if a rare or common is required for your deck and you dont have it, those are cheap enough to go ahead and craft whenever you want.

Disenchant any gold cards if you have 2 regular versions already of that card, or if it's just a garbage unplayable card that doesnt fit into any popular decks. you'll need the dust more than the shinies starting out.

From there, hold onto your cash until you get a really good feeling for what's good and what isn't, as it feels REALLY bad to drop money to get enough dust to craft a legendary, and then the meta pushes that deck to the wayside.

In short: work backward - find the decks you want to play first, then spend your gold/dust, instead of splurging your resources and then deciding which decks to play from what you get.

Last edited:
  • 1Like