Hearthstone

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why again don't they have a server farm running a Monte Carlo simulation? This is like one summer intern's worth of work.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Why again don't they have a server farm running a Monte Carlo simulation? This is like one summer intern's worth of work.
A Monte Carlo simulation of what? You mean have a computer simulation build the decks and then play them against each other a few billion times to discern winrates?

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I think writing the AI required for the computer to be able to build its own decks and then play them as well as people can would require more than one summer intern's worth of work.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Uhh and which cards from the deck lists will the AI choose to play?

As to the Monte carlo suggestion, lawl. How many possible states do you think exist and what's the convergence like given this number of states?

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

Okay, I don't pretend to be a statistician, but doesn't Monte Carlo simulation run analyses on a data range of RESULTS? So a bunch of interns would have to play games and the results of WHO WON would then be input in to a data range and then you could do a Monte Carlo simulation to determine "the deck that has the best chance of winning". That time lapse of the deck use would end up being pretty much the same result I think lol.

My company has a bunch of young bucks doing lots of interesting work with AI and algorithms and statistical analysis. Which, eventually, will put me out of work but in the meantime helps verify my "old man data methodology".

But, realistically, all you need is people who actually KNOW THE GAME to play test the new stuff and they should be able to filter out the most egregious issues, then let the player base find the finer imbalances - they always do.

Haven't a TON of "games as a service" type games suffered because the people testing new stuff don't seem to be in touch with the ACTUAL game? PoE has a long-standing meme about the "thousand hour" play testers.

Also, I have been mildly interested in coming back to this game, but I am not sure my anger control is ready.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, my mistake, Monte Carlo seems to be the wrong word from what I'm looking for. Let me be more specific. There's a finite amount of cards in standard and the possibilities are further restricted by class. Even if you make the dumbest AI possible, over enough time(i.e. cpu power), you should be able to arrive win rates.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
RDU playing a Warrior deck made by Viper. This is kind of what I was talking about day 1, where there is probably a better Galakrond deck for Warrior that doesn't include Pirates. I think it's probably good in the meta

### Viper
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Dragon
#
# 1x (0) Inner Rage
# 2x (1) Shield Slam
# 2x (2) Ritual Chopper
# 2x (2) Warpath
# 2x (2) Weapons Project
# 2x (3) Awaken!
# 2x (3) Scion of Ruin
# 2x (3) Shield Block
# 2x (4) Devoted Maniac
# 1x (4) Molten Breath
# 2x (5) Brawl
# 1x (5) Dragonmaw Scorcher
# 1x (5) Harrison Jones
# 2x (5) Shield of Galakrond
# 1x (5) Supercollider
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (6) Kronx Dragonhoof
# 1x (7) Galakrond, the Unbreakable
# 1x (8) Deathwing, Mad Aspect
# 1x (8) Grommash Hellscream
#
AAECAaPLAwoW0gKQB477AqCAA+yJA9+tA+O0A/+0A8XAAwpLogT/B5vzAvT1AtitA9qtA/6uA6qvA9KvAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let’s give a class with a really strong build really strong cards that has synergy with the existing build. Holy shit the build is busted! Who could have seen this coming?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
In all honesty Faceless Corruptor is more of a headscratcher. Nothing about that card makes sense. It's an unbelievable power creep. They've nerfed objectively worse cards like Bonemare before.

1576266024867.png

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
It's funny just how awful their foresight was this expansion. The one card getting nerfed for arena, Dragonmaw poacher.is especially bad. Oh you played a dragon on turn 4-8? Guess you lose the game. I'm surprised Twin Tyrant isn't getting the same treatment as well, as it's way too powerful in arena, it should cost 10.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So after lucking into Shudderwock and the shaman quest in previous expansion'gasms updating to Battlecry Quest Shaman was laughably easy.

It blows my mind that they've gone down the path of giving a class continual boosts across multiple expansions all focused around battlecries

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Yep, I'm done now. Not going to even play on mobile anymore, just uninstalled.

Been playing since beta and dealt with bullshit of one form or another. But it didn't hit this level of unfun this quickly, even pre-nerfed Jade druid didn't feel like current meta. Even if the standard meta was hot garbage arena was in a fair spot or wild was a thing. So there was always something to do.

But nah, arena is trash and the worst it's been for awhile. Standard is a joke. And wild has degenerated to where the fun decks are weak.

Maybe I'll be back in a few years after their design team rotates. But I doubt it. Guess I'll have to find a different phone game.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gah, beat three shaman in a row and was set to hit rank 5, was at 6***** and lost to a dragon hunter who did 15 damage with their new dragon weapon that doesn't lose durability.

I was playing a deathrattle/galakrond rogue deck at first, but I found galakrond really ineffective so I decided to do a quest/deathrattle deck. Seems to be working out better for me and the galakrond version literally had a 0% winrate for me vs shaman in ~10 games. I'd say Necrium Apothecary may be a problem, but thats only because no one is running silence in this meta since it does nothing vs shaman. If classes balance out it may be ok as is. Deck list below:
Added the necrium vial because its super effective. Popping an apothecary or mechanical whelp almost always feels bad so they're often still there the next turn.
Oh and I did open a Waxadred so I was fucking around with that in the galakrond version I was running, while neat; not necessarily effective. I did get into a game I ended up winning with like 7 cards remaining and 5 of them were candles.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Playing Quest Galakrond Shaman the only thing I've had trouble with is Warlocks who have double copies of their board wipe card, along with the 2 dmg defile dude. If you don't have 3 board wipes that can kill an 8/8 good fucking luck.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, I'm done now. Not going to even play on mobile anymore, just uninstalled.

Been playing since beta and dealt with bullshit of one form or another. But it didn't hit this level of unfun this quickly, even pre-nerfed Jade druid didn't feel like current meta. Even if the standard meta was hot garbage arena was in a fair spot or wild was a thing. So there was always something to do.

But nah, arena is trash and the worst it's been for awhile. Standard is a joke. And wild has degenerated to where the fun decks are weak.

Maybe I'll be back in a few years after their design team rotates. But I doubt it. Guess I'll have to find a different phone game.
Be careful what you wish for. The Diablo team brough titanforging to WoW and it's been an absolute hit!

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
LOLOL the meta is currently a battle of who is the most broken. This deck borders on Kelethus levels of if you draw it on curve you win, if you don't, you don't.

He really sums it up with "7 mana for 2 8/8's with rush, an Arcanite Reaper, and heal 5 isn't fast enough."

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users