Hearthstone

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This. I absolutely love drafting MTG and I think arena is just complete garbage. I don't care how good or bad you are at it, I don't understand the fascination.
I'm not sure fascination would the correct term. Preferred, maybe?

The card variety is much higher while the game variety lower, both of which I like. It becomes (too?)easy to tell what the opponent is going to play on certain turns once you figure out what deck they are playing, which can be as easy as identifying their hero because they only have one good ladder deck. It gets boring playing against the same decks and cards over and over. I'll admit, though, arena is not immune to this as 3 heroes dominate probably 50%+ of the matchup.

Arena is dominated by tempo game style, which I like very much. Your opponents plays threats and you, most of the time, have a chance to answer them. Non-interactive threats, which comprise a non-insignificant portion of ladder, are very much not fun to play against. FoN + SR and freeze mages are probably the prime example of this but I'll include things like brawl and light bomb. Sure, you have a choice against those cards, but it's a terrible choice because your opponent likely doesn't have any minions for you to trade into. So your "choice" often becomes not playing anything, which is effectively non-interactive.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Arena is dominated by tempo game style, which I like very much. Your opponents plays threats and you, most of the time, have a chance to answer them. Non-interactive threats, which comprise a non-insignificant portion of ladder, are very much not fun to play against. FoN + SR and freeze mages are probably the prime example of this but I'll include things like brawl and light bomb. Sure, you have a choice against those cards, but it's a terrible choice because your opponent likely doesn't have any minions for you to trade into. So your "choice" often becomes not playing anything, which is effectively non-interactive.
Yeah, I think I'm the same. I just like the fact that I'm not playing the deck that I took from the internet to play against the same 3 or 4 netdecks over and over again. It's ok that it's almost all Rogue, Mage and Paladin. Arena just never gets boring to me.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Great points Deathwing, I can't understand how anyone likes playing against the same googled decks every single fucking game in normal modes. Arena at least you get some variety.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Pros and cons to both. Arena has variety but the rng is even more pronounced. Ladder is boring as fuck but there are still a few cool decks and playing a control deck can be immensely satisfying. They all fill certain itches.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
I'm not sure fascination would the correct term. Preferred, maybe?

The card variety is much higher while the game variety lower, both of which I like. It becomes (too?)easy to tell what the opponent is going to play on certain turns once you figure out what deck they are playing, which can be as easy as identifying their hero because they only have one good ladder deck. It gets boring playing against the same decks and cards over and over. I'll admit, though, arena is not immune to this as 3 heroes dominate probably 50%+ of the matchup.

Tempo based gameplay fucking sucks. You either respond immediately or you're so far behind that you've lost due to one turn.

I'd much rather see a value based gameplay emerge without the retardedly broken reach that most ladder decks need to run.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is pretty much true and exacerbated in arena. So many games where one side or the other gets steamrolled. Its a lot of fun when you do have those close games where both sides end up topdecking. And the unexpected, wide pool of cards aspect can feel fresh compared to constructed. But so many times you get a such a "nothing I could do" feeling in arena.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How do you emphasize a value gameplay over tempo without backsliding into bullshit cards like brawl or light bomb? Even flamestrike, in the current arena meta, I feel gets way too much value. Once you're past a certain amount of turns and wins, you're essentially always playing against flamestrike. I welcome WoG and its card dilution.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
How do you emphasize a value gameplay over tempo without backsliding into bullshit cards like brawl or light bomb? Even flamestrike, in the current arena meta, I feel gets way too much value. Once you're past a certain amount of turns and wins, you're essentially always playing against flamestrike. I welcome WoG and its card dilution.
Arena is rarely a value based game from what I've played. As mentioned, when you might have 1 legendary and they have 3, where is the value in that? I've played the 3 fireball decks, the 3 flamestrike decks, etc. At least the ladder guarantees no more than 2 of anything. I dont like the random pack rewards either. Play rng just to get more rng in my rewards? Uhh, no thanks?

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Really wish they would just add a sealed and/or draft mode to the game.......or at bare minimum get rid of the random pack crap which killed what little interest I had in arena.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Really wish they would just add a sealed and/or draft mode to the game.......or at bare minimum get rid of the random pack crap which killed what little interest I had in arena.
Yea, I would definitely play sealed or draft tournaments. Arena is shitty.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My only problem with arena was that I only faced mages and paladins. I guess it was worth it. I got Cenarius in my reward card pack. First legendary.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My biggest issue with the game so far seems to be the number of people who concede, not late in the game but either before the first round or on the first round. Has to be close to 50% of the time.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
That's weird. Never, ever happens to me. Even if I'm playing control warrior against freeze mage and already have 13 armor on top of my 30 health they'll still drag it out till it's inevitable conclusion.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I do agree with Deathwing that played certain decks over and over on the ladder is an exercise in frustration. Druid just kills a lot of fun decks in their tracks. Can't wait for the nerf.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's weird. Never, ever happens to me. Even if I'm playing control warrior against freeze mage and already have 13 armor on top of my 30 health they'll still drag it out till it's inevitable conclusion.
Heh, not me. If I'm playing freeze mage and I get matched against a warrior I concede before I even see my hand.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
God we're so overdue cards, jesus. I can't believe they waited this long between releases. We're talking 5.5-6 months since the first wing of LoE. That's FOREVER in a card game like this. Especially 2 years into a games life. I'm just so ready for the expansion to drop. The announcement was way too early for it to be so far away.

Edit: It's been 150 days since the first wing of LoE. zzzzzzzzz

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I can't play for more than 30-40 mins and I'm out. It's just not fun anymore. I'll usually drop around $20 on an expansion plus whatever gold I have. Not this time, fuck em in the ass I'm freerolling.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I get drunk and do quests, work on druid golden. Game aint fun anymore, has become a chore.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah s mentioned it's been too long between expansion, the game is always stale after a few months since the deck are so optimized that games are too predictable.

The change to standard is also making the wait worse since we know there will be a big shake up of the meta with so many cards on their way out combine with the expansion. Especially since a few decks that people dislike facing might be hurt, secret paladin for one, and Druid losing possibly losing their combo which is annoying. The nerf of a few cards...like maybe alextraza, bhg, knife juggler etc could really shake things up

I always find the first month after an expansion to be the most fun, second month still pretty interesting too, it's at the third month and over that things start degrading...I'm hoping with standard that this could last longer then 1-2 months, especially alternating with wild and standard as there should be enough difference between to two to maybe keep things interesting for longer.

I still love the game, it's just the usual lull before the expac.