Hearthstone

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
jesus christ nothing but paladins, druids, and midrange hunters tonight. Really need to give up on control warrior.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My problem is I try to only play non-gold...That is why I dropped from 5 to 7 yesterday!
Time for arena!

I really wish wins in arena counted toward golden portrait
frown.png
Highest hero is ~220(warlock) and most other aren't even above 100.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone think C'thun warrior will be actually good, or is the payoff too low? I mean you get some pretty bad minions, but the 7 mana gain 10 armor guy and C'thun seem like pretty incredible payoffs. Considering you only really need to cast 2 dudes that give C'thun +2/+2 to get value, it seems actually legit.
Warrior is on my short list for a C'Thun deck simply because there's enough slots opening for the minions (Death's Bite, Belcher, Shieldmaiden, Boom), and because Warrior can get to 10 easily and C'Thun would be the final push necessary.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, warriors dont get a class card that buff's cthun, so you're stuck running all the neutral cthun minions, at which point you're playing an aggressive midrange deck with cthun as a finisher, not a control deck.

Druid definitely has the best cthun minions, so we'll see how they're sitting in standard post-nerf. Here's what I've tossed together on the fly, obviously it would need a lot of tuning.Druid - Deckbuilder - HearthPwn

Rogue is the other candidate I'm eyeballing for cthun. Blade of cthun may be slow as balls, but holy shit is that a powerful effect, especially if you can bounce him back to your hand.Rogue - Deckbuilder - HearthPwn

Went with vanish because it's the only mass removal rogue is gonna have now with blade flurry getting wrecked. Maybe cut cthuns chosen for earthen rings or cult apothecary. Probably need to mix thaurissan in there somewhere too.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The first 2 decks I build, given correct cards, will be a mid-range kind of Shaman, and some sort of Mage deck with Yogg'Saron. I'm not sure what Mage deck he'll work in, some type of Tempo or Grinder style.

axeman_sl

shitlord
This is total TGT deja-vu. I'm seeing all the same signs of a similar expansion. The meta will change significantly because of the loss of Naxx and GvG, and nerfs to certain classic cards, but I see no more than maybe a dozen WotOG cards that are certain to be played seriously. I don't believe that any C'Thun deck will be competitively viable, and such a huge portion of the set's cards are devoted to this. There's a select few true gems like the new 7/7 shaman minion, but several classes get literally no great cards. This has TGT written all over it, an expansion of mostly duds, but it'll be covered for by the new format which ensures a complete upheaval of the meta, so it's not going to be as disastrous for the game as TGT was.

10-mana cards are nearly universally unplayable. Only Deathwing, which literally clears the board and then gives you a 12/12, has ever been played, and then only in extreme niche situations like one rare variation of control warrior. C'Thun will be played because everyone will want to make those decks, but they'll never see tournament play or any consistent high-level ladder presence. You cannot make a deck out of uniformly bad minions that you would never play based on their stats (with like one or two potential exceptions like the cheap one with the 2-damage battlecry) and then a single 10-drop legendary that comprises the entire foundation of the deck which then completely falls apart if you don't draw C'Thun in time to eke out a shaky turn 10 win after a game of playing vanilla-statted minions with no deathrattles or any other redeeming features aside from maybe the druid one with taunt. There's no rational reason why such a deck should be viable.

Some classes are losing most of what made them viable. Look at rogue and priest. Paladin is also losing its two only competitive decks as well as the entire suite of GvG cards that elevated the class to playable territory, and nothing is replacing any of it. There's nothing in this set that provides the building blocks for a new archetype of paladin decks, or rogue, and the fate of the druid class appears to hinge entirely on the improbable viability of the C'Thun ramp deck. On top of that, the loss of Naxx and GvG removes practically every anti-aggro card that got played without replacing them with anything -- no serious substitutes for Chow, Deathlord, Healbot, Belcher or Ghoul. Aggro always finds a way, and has even gained a few new tools with cards like Fiery Bat, Twisted Worgen, and the mindblowing Flamewreathed Faceless. I foresee a meta where aggro decks will annihilate everything as slower decks have no tools to overcome the smorc festival.

Blizzard has anawfultrack record when it comes to the decks that they try to create with their expansions. Each expansion, you can tell that there's something they try to nudge players toward -- totem shaman, control hunter, pirate rogue, etc. Most of the powerful decks are clearly unintended, or at least take two or three expansions to establish as it turns out that the initial set that introduces the concept does not actually provide sufficiently playable cards to make it work. I'm calling it now: all this C'Thun stuff, and the general extremely-expensive-cards nature of WotOG, will be no different. Standard will see very little use of these cards once the first month of frantic experimentation is over. Several classes will use none of their WotOG class cards. No C'Thun deck will impress. None of these many new 10-drop legendaries will become more than amusing gimmicks and Trolden video clips.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Some classes are losing most of what made them viable. Look at rogue and priest. Paladin is also losing its two only competitive decks as well as the entire suite of GvG cards that elevated the class to playable territory, and nothing is replacing any of it. There's nothing in this set that provides the building blocks for a new archetype of paladin decks, or rogue, and the fate of the druid class appears to hinge entirely on the improbable viability of the C'Thun ramp deck.
Just thinking about Rogue, and although Malygos combo didn't really gain anything, it lost basically nothing since it only ran a single healbot and blade flurry, so it's totally viable still esp with the deathrattles leaving.

Steward of Darkshire helps out aggro paladin.... sigh.... unfortunately. It'll probably be the only competitive paladin deck for awhile.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Eh, warriors dont get a class card that buff's cthun, so you're stuck running all the neutral cthun minions, at which point you're playing an aggressive midrange deck with cthun as a finisher, not a control deck.

Druid definitely has the best cthun minions, so we'll see how they're sitting in standard post-nerf. Here's what I've tossed together on the fly, obviously it would need a lot of tuning.Druid - Deckbuilder - HearthPwn

Rogue is the other candidate I'm eyeballing for cthun. Blade of cthun may be slow as balls, but holy shit is that a powerful effect, especially if you can bounce him back to your hand.Rogue - Deckbuilder - HearthPwn

Went with vanish because it's the only mass removal rogue is gonna have now with blade flurry getting wrecked. Maybe cut cthuns chosen for earthen rings or cult apothecary. Probably need to mix thaurissan in there somewhere too.
I think warrior can work because they can fit in more of the powerful neutrals like the Legendary that makes a copy of itself and Doomcaller, meaning 2+ C'Thuns possible!

Looking at your druid and rogue deck...

Druid: Seems okay but won't be consistent. I don't think the 4 taunts and 2 feral rage are enough to keep Druid alive in most cases. Need better early game. Raven Idol could be replaced with Wraths. If you want to go the Taunt route instead of Heals then maybe fit in some Senjin or something? Druid might be a class that still needs BGH, removal is lacking.

Rogue: Same problems as Druid really. They don't have a hero power that allows them to survive 12+ turns. Like you, I also really like Blade of C'Thun. I want to see it used against an enemy C'Thun, but you might be dead to that enemy C'Thun already. Rogue need some ways to survive. Farseers and taunts (Argus) likely needed. Also probably should put in FoK instead of Vanish.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is total TGT deja-vu. I'm seeing all the same signs of a similar expansion. The meta will change significantly because of the loss of Naxx and GvG, and nerfs to certain classic cards, but I see no more than maybe a dozen WotOG cards that are certain to be played seriously. I don't believe that any C'Thun deck will be competitively viable, and such a huge portion of the set's cards are devoted to this. There's a select few true gems like the new 7/7 shaman minion, but several classes get literally no great cards. This has TGT written all over it, an expansion of mostly duds, but it'll be covered for by the new format which ensures a complete upheaval of the meta, so it's not going to be as disastrous for the game as TGT was.

10-mana cards are nearly universally unplayable. Only Deathwing, which literally clears the board and then gives you a 12/12, has ever been played, and then only in extreme niche situations like one rare variation of control warrior. C'Thun will be played because everyone will want to make those decks, but they'll never see tournament play or any consistent high-level ladder presence. You cannot make a deck out of uniformly bad minions that you would never play based on their stats (with like one or two potential exceptions like the cheap one with the 2-damage battlecry) and then a single 10-drop legendary that comprises the entire foundation of the deck which then completely falls apart if you don't draw C'Thun in time to eke out a shaky turn 10 win after a game of playing vanilla-statted minions with no deathrattles or any other redeeming features aside from maybe the druid one with taunt. There's no rational reason why such a deck should be viable.

Some classes are losing most of what made them viable. Look at rogue and priest. Paladin is also losing its two only competitive decks as well as the entire suite of GvG cards that elevated the class to playable territory, and nothing is replacing any of it. There's nothing in this set that provides the building blocks for a new archetype of paladin decks, or rogue, and the fate of the druid class appears to hinge entirely on the improbable viability of the C'Thun ramp deck. On top of that, the loss of Naxx and GvG removes practically every anti-aggro card that got played without replacing them with anything -- no serious substitutes for Chow, Healbot, Belcher or Ghoul. Aggro always finds a way, and has even gained a few new tools with cards like Fiery Bat, Twisted Worgen, and the mindblowing Flamewreathed Faceless. I foresee a meta where aggro decks will annihilate everything as slower decks have no tools to overcome the smorc festival.

Blizzard has anawfultrack record when it comes to the decks that they try to create with their expansions. Each expansion, you can tell that there's something they try to nudge players toward -- totem shaman, control hunter, pirate rogue, etc. Most of the powerful decks are clearly unintended, or at least take two or three expansions to establish as it turns out that the initial set that introduces the concept does not actually provide sufficiently playable cards to make it work. I'm calling it now: all this C'Thun stuff, and the general extremely-expensive-cards nature of WotOG, will be no different. Standard will see very little use of these cards once the first month of frantic experimentation is over. Several classes will use none of their WotOG class cards. No C'Thun deck will impress. None of these many new 10-drop legendaries will become more than amusing gimmicks and Trolden video clips.
The sky isn't falling. The main reason TGT made such a small impact is because of how overpowered the GvG set was. With GvG rotating out and the game slowing down a bit, people will be taking a second look at inspire. How exactly are C'thun minions uniformly bad? Beckoner and Twilight Elder both pass the vanilla test, Chosen might be playable since Scarlet Crusader saw play way back when, and as you mentioned, Disciple is absolutely amazing. And you can't really compare C'thun to Deathwing seeing as how C'thun doesn't cost you your entire hand to play, and potentially hits for lethal instead of just board clearing.

C'thun decks may end up being too slow, but you're getting way ahead of yourself to declare them non-viable already. As for an aggro meta, you're forgetting that with GvG and Naxx going away, when you pop off a board clear, the board will actually be clear for once.

I think warrior can work because they can fit in more of the powerful neutrals like the Legendary that makes a copy of itself and Doomcaller, meaning 2+ C'Thuns possible!

Looking at your druid and rogue deck...

Druid: Seems okay but won't be consistent. I don't think the 4 taunts and 2 feral rage are enough to keep Druid alive in most cases. Need better early game. Raven Idol could be replaced with Wraths. If you want to go the Taunt route instead of Heals then maybe fit in some Senjin or something? Druid might be a class that still needs BGH, removal is lacking.

Rogue: Same problems as Druid really. They don't have a hero power that allows them to survive 12+ turns. Like you, I also really like Blade of C'Thun. I want to see it used against an enemy C'Thun, but you might be dead to that enemy C'Thun already. Rogue need some ways to survive. Farseers and taunts (Argus) likely needed. Also probably should put in FoK instead of Vanish.
Yeah, like I said, threw them together in a hurry. Since druid already has a great C'thun minion in the form of arakkoa, I could probably cut some of the vanilla C'thun minions. I totally didn't realize I forgot wrath. As for rogue, with blade flurry gone, I think you need something that hits the entire board. With implosion and paladin rotating out, there won't be quite so many 1/1s floating around, and the deck is loaded with battlecry which works well with vanish.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I still maintain that Thaurissan is vastly more powerful than anything else you can possibly be doing and people that try to clunk around with ten drops are just going to learn that this doesn't work when I have a six drop that says, "You win the game at the beginning of your next turn" and they don't have enough pressure to kill me before that. If it's not Freeze Mage it'll be something else. If people are allowed to fill their early turns with loot hoarders, acolytes, scarabs, etc without dying then Thaurissan will just immediately end the game every time. You can't play tens if aggro is good, and if aggro is not good then card draw into Thaurissan still shits on ten drops.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Here's my first go at a Warrior C'Thun deck.

I added Brann due to the 11 battlecries. Brann+Beckoner on 5 gets your C'Thun to that very important 10 attack cut-off.

Later on if you Brann+Shieldbearer, that's +20 armor for your hero.

Brann+Twin Emperor is 3 Emperors.

Etc.

I want to fit a lot more but yea... need play testing

CThun Warrior - Hearthstone Decks

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
This is the first hearthstone expansion that actually looks like it will be a fun addition instead of just an addition. Time will tell, I guess. Those shaman cards look awesome as shit though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Here's my first go at a Warrior C'Thun deck.

I added Brann due to the 11 battlecries. Brann+Beckoner on 5 gets your C'Thun to that very important 10 attack cut-off.

Later on if you Brann+Shieldbearer, that's +20 armor for your hero.

Brann+Twin Emperor is 3 Emperors.

Etc.

I want to fit a lot more but yea... need play testing

CThun Warrior - Hearthstone Decks
I definitely would cut something for a second shield slam and gorehowl. I'd probably also cut the acolytes for shield blocks and the whirlwinds for revenges. Basically I think you've gone just a little too all-in on C'thun here. If you want to stick with such a creature/whirlwind heavy theme, I'd find room for frothing berserkers since they're a pretty serious threat.

I've been thinking I'm gonna try tentacles for arms in conventional control warrior after all, probably 2x fiery, 1x tentacles, 1x gorehowl for the weapons package. If you've already used Gorehowl it's potentially a weapon you can keep using after monkey (if it's equipped when you summon it obviously), and if you end up not needing it just let monkey turn it into a legendary.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This expansion looks looks fun, and has tons of card that I will enjoy...not necessary good cards, but fun cards.

I've always put fun before being competitive which is why I usually end up between 15-10 rank as I always end up putting those fun but not necessary great cards in my decks...even when I play netdecks I tend to replace a few cards with some greedy fun cards.
smile.png

With the 50 pre-order packs, the 13 free ones they give, the 90 or so I'll be able to get with gold and already 5000+ dust In have...it looks like this will be a very complete expansion for me too.

Can't wait till 26th.