Heroes of the Storm

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Oh one nice part of the game: Try Me. Select a champ from the roster and you'll see 3 buttons: Try, 5500g, $7.49. Try spawns a mini-map with Arthas as an opponent. Top left you get 4 buttons: Toggle Minions, Refresh Forts (heal structures), Reset Heroic (Ult's are a choice of A or B ult and this lets you repick) and Clear Cooldowns.

edit for Teron: It looks as good as Dota2. And it's a moba for chrissakes. You looking for Crysis?
That's a pretty awesome feature.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I came from LoL so it feels super clunky to me. There's no keybinding settings (yet?) and no smartcast. I bet Dota2 folks would find it a lot more natural.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I wish I could get into MOBA games. They seem fun but look like they take ages to master

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Really wish they gave keys to Merlini and some Dota2 pros so it was bearable to watch someone play.
I was watching Vman7, when I checked out the stream list he's the only name I remembered, some LoL guy which beats fucking random press and let's play people. I saw SUNSFan in one of his games too, granted that's not a particularily good dota player ^^. They mostly invited people who get a lot of viewers from their games(lots of hearthstone players, most D3 top streamers, some SC2 players) and didn't bother inviting people in each of the large "rival" communities it seems. I guess this way you see what's it's gonna be like to play the game with these people on your team.

Drtym they added smartcast to dota like a year ago, and they've had keybindings since early beta obviously. That sounds awful not being able to rebind shit and weird they skip one of the most basic functionality of modern mobas.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Didn't SC2 not have key re-mapping until the latter part of the WoL beta or some shit? For some reason I thought they added it later.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Didn't SC2 not have key re-mapping until the latter part of the WoL beta or some shit? For some reason I thought they added it later.
Oh now that you say that I think I remember some shit like that. Guess it's a blizzard thing but fucking weird for this type of game imo. Having a rotation during alpha/beta also kind of sucks, only see the same heroes over and over. Guess they're testing the buying part and shit but wish they had kept a bigger rotation at first.

The try mode is a nice touch compared to lol "wait one week then champion is free then never free again for infinity and some" especially if you don't start playing from the start. Not that great compared to dota's practice mode where you can just create bots, force spawn jungle mobs and emulate a real game to test heroes in, but still good.

The prices while temporary look absolutely outrageous too. Wonder how long until they change them, it's not gonna be very good advertisement I think.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
With LoL being my intro to moba's I can't not see as versions of LoL champs (which I know are versions of the original dota characters). Tell me if you think this champ has a good skillset:

Passive: 20% move boost after not taking dmg for 6s
Q: Sivir's Boomerang Blade that slows 25% for 2s
W: Passive: Lightning zaps a nearby enemy. Active: Zap 4x (sorta like the passive on Blitzcrank ult)
E: Corki's Valkyrie, except you get a shield for 2s at the end of the dash.
R: Pick one: PBAoE dmg with 1.5s stun or Lux Final Spark

Now the way mounts work in the game: bound to the Z key. Like a 1.5s cast to mount; gives you increased travel speed obviously. Now some heroes get other abliites instead of mounts. Siege Tank for example gets a 4s speed boost on a cd. The champ I described above is Falstad, a dwarven gryphon rider. Since he's already on a gryphon, Z can't make him mount. Instead he has Flight. Zoom over terrain, cd of 45s. Yes, he has TF ult. Cast time is probably 1.5s. No cc = bye bye birdie.

The cooldown on his spells are pretty long so it's not that bad, but woe to you if anyone on the enemy team knows how to watch the minimap. Death from above.

He's pretty good.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I wish I could get into MOBA games. They seem fun but look like they take ages to master
They do but this looks like its the least learning intensive of any moba I've ever seen. The fact that their is no items to remember/learn should help many newcomers.

Tenks

They do but this looks like its the least learning intensive of any moba I've ever seen. The fact that their is no items to remember/learn should help many newcomers.
It is more like WoW battle arena where everyone has the same gear and start at level 1 than a MOBA

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I want this beta
frown.png

Tenks

I've only played one game fully 4 bots + me vs AI and 5 humans vs AI but this game isfun. It basically strips away anything from a standard MOBA you don't find interesting and focuses on just you killing shit and doing team fights and objectives. I see this game having some serious legs.

Tenks

Ok so after playing a few more games I don't know if this is the next great e-sport (same like Hearthstone) but I can certainly see how well executed team work could absolutely roll over a team of players who don't execute nearly as well. The objectives combined with the from-the-gates team fight style really leads to interesting games. I'm currently enjoying this alpha way more than I enjoyed the DOTA2 alpha.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Pretty much all the streamers "new" to MOBAs are having alot of fun playing it. All the ones having played MOBAs before are still saying good shit about it.

This shit is going to break the bank, though I am sure we are going to hear endless whines about how dumb shit like "last hit" being removed has ruined the game.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's standard blizz formula applied to mobas. Strip complexity, add polish, cash in on their lore, etc. Really what I'm hoping for the most is that it scares Riot enough to actually make some meaningful updates to their game.

Prime_sl

shitlord
Played it at Blizzcon, was super fun, but honestly cant see putting that much time into it due to the lack of complexity.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Something to ask yourself when looking at Heroes versus DOTA/League - Do you actually enjoy the snowball effect in legacy MOBA games? Because from my POV, I've always thought that being on either end of the snowball is a terrible game experience. Being vastly more powerful than the other team to the point that you only lose engagements if you fuck up is boring. Being vastly weaker and hoping that the other team makes a monumental fuckup is not only boring but also is one of the least pleasant experiences in modern gaming. Unless you really enjoy the fuck out of winning uneven fights off an early advantage, I can't see why anyone would prefer a snowball-type system.

I really think the legacy class MOBA games have given people stockholm syndrome when it comes to certain game aspects. Because when you break down shit like snowballing logically, it's hard to see a reason why people defend it so hard.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Something to ask yourself when looking at Heroes versus DOTA/League - Do you actually enjoy the snowball effect in legacy MOBA games? Because from my POV, I've always thought that being on either end of the snowball is a terrible game experience. Being vastly more powerful than the other team to the point that you only lose engagements if you fuck up is boring. Being vastly weaker and hoping that the other team makes a monumental fuckup is not only boring but also is one of the least pleasant experiences in modern gaming. Unless you really enjoy the fuck out of winning uneven fights off an early advantage, I can't see why anyone would prefer a snowball-type system.

I really think the legacy class MOBA games have given people stockholm syndrome when it comes to certain game aspects. Because when you break down shit like snowballing logically, it's hard to see a reason why people defend it so hard.
You can call it snowballing, or say that every phase of the game matters because it directly influences the ones that come after it. I'd feel pretty bummed out if the enemy could feed for 5 minutes and then play like nothing happened

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I wonder why I got an invite. Was there a small random selection pool as well? The description in my E-Mail made it sound like this was only Blizzard's family and friends and press. Unfortunately I can't install it on my laptop because it requires Mountion Lion (10.8) and I'm using Lion (10.7.5). I'll sit down and install it on my Windows partition on Sunday and give it a go.