High IQ, making friends and influencing people.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I was watching an older Stefan Molyneaux video about IQ today. A point he made was about an often quoted study on the IQ of children of mixed ethnicity in germany after the war. He said he suspected the black fathers were higher IQ because they would need to be in order to converse with the German mothers.

I got to thinking about why I enjoy posting and perusing here at FOH. My wife does not understand why I check the boards a lot and why I don't put time into RL friendships. The reason is something I understand well. I enjoy people in my life at the acquaintance level, I can party with them but I cannot have intellectually stimulating conversation. This has been a theme since childhood. I do occasionally find people I really enjoy talking to and I tend to become very close with them for a while.

I am wondering if others on this board with high IQ's have similar issues? Also, I did not attend college, so I understand I probably missed an important time for developing friendships with people of intelligence. I am not asking for advice on making friends, my time is already demanding with family and as an introvert enjoy my alone time. I would just like to know if people have the same issues and if you have taken the mensa written what IQ level you might be also.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
this is pathetic. the reason you have no friends isn't because you supposedly have an IQ. the reason you have no friends is beacuse you're a loser and you're bad at social interactions so you avoid them.

• 18Like
Reactions: 17 users

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
this is pathetic. the reason you have no friends isn't because you supposedly have an IQ. the reason you have no friends is beacuse you're a loser and you're bad at social interactions so you avoid them.

Problem with that theory is I am social for a living. I am a bartender and have been for the last 10 years. I also have a regular group we bbq and hang out with weekly. I do just fine socially, I just have zero desire to get closer than the level we already interact on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
but I cannot have intellectually stimulating conversation. T

I think that sentence may have done you in and snagged the Kruger wiki page. I have a respectable IQ but I don't think intellect (or some sort of superiority) played a part in my lack of social skills. Moving around a lot and just spending all of my free time reading, playing video games or hanging out with my brothers took care of that.

• 2Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Sounds like a low EQ situation.

If you don't know how to interact with the people on this planet, you might not be as smart as you think.

• 1Like

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I think that sentence may have done you in and snagged the Kruger wiki page. I have a respectable IQ but I don't think intellect (or some sort of superiority) played a part in my lack of social skills. Moving around a lot and just spending all of my free time reading, playing video games or hanging out with my brothers took care of that.

I can understand that and I have some similar issues. I think what people discount alot is how working as a bartender doesn't put me in contact with very intelligent people. If I was in say finance, engineering, the sciences, I would probably be exposed regularly to people who would provide a more interesting conversation.

• 1Like

Pops

Since when does it take a high IQ to be a bartender?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I understood writing this would be 9/10 insults. I am fishing for thought provoking points. Just so people understand that putting myself out there isn't done with a lack of awareness.

• 1Like

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm definitely here because i have a high iq.

Love the political big brain battles with chuk

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mur

Trakanon Raider
You answered your own question; it has nothing to do with your IQ, and everything to do with being an introvert. Yes, you may have a high IQ, (I'll take your word on that), but a high IQ does not correlate with being anti-social, or socially stunted. Like most introverts, you prefer people in small doses, and value a few friendships over being everyone's best friend.

There are plenty of highly intelligent extroverts, and more than a few stupid introverts; IQ is irrelevant, and for the most part nonsense.

• 2Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I'm a bar tender that didn't go to college. I must be too smart for people.

Da fuck?

I don't post a ton here, I find it more of a place to lurk for some great content.

Seems this place has a huge cross section of personalities, back ground and intelligence,

I don't think there is anything to this theory. Just a way to try to feel superior about your own shortcomings,

I bet you are a pretty cool dude. Cut yourself some slack IRL.

• 1Like

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Since when does it take a high IQ to be a bartender?

It doesn't, I am a bartender because after I got out of prison I wanted a job that paid decently and allowed me to enjoy my life. I work about 25 hours a week make in the mid 40k range and spend a ton of time with my kids. I am happy with my life outside of not having alot of good conversation.

• 2Like

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
I come here to shit on the low iqs in the political thread, so I can relate with OP. I would not want to shit on my friends IRL it would make me feel bad.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm a bar tender that didn't go to college. I must be too smart for people.

Da fuck?

Dunning kruger is not applicable because he's so smart he'd know, too.

@Amod please rename thread "Coping with mediocrity"

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Generally in these discussions two fundamentally different concepts get confused: the ability to interact socially, and the desire to interact socially. Its important to make this distinction.

• 1Like