Highlander

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i posted that in the Luther thread. they had a point. he had a white girlfriend and didnt hardly ever talk about being black, he just did his job and his GF was a psychopath. typical white guy stuff.

Luther was a tremendous show. It was so refreshing in this day and age to see something...normal.

First line I ever heard from it was Idris monologuing "I've been a cop since God was a boy."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Luther was a tremendous show. It was so refreshing in this day and age to see something...normal.

First line I ever heard from it was Idris monologuing "I've been a cop since God was a boy."
the BBC had an incredible golden age in the mid 2000s to early 2010s. they had Top Gear, Luther, Life on Mars, Doctor Who reboot, Torchwood, Ripper Street and Sherlock. even their Realty shows and documentaries were off the charts. then after 2013 everything went to fucking shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
i think it was up 10 or 11 hours before i saw it. i just got home and was checking my subs. so basically when i saw it posted, i linked it here. i'm glad you appreciate my care for providing fun things for this board. whiteknighting whores and board trolls isnt that fun.
It was just an observation, like genuinely the first thing I thought when I saw the recommendation was 'I bet Chuk is gonna link this'.

Unruffle your panties.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
+1 for the series

While it does indeed get off to a pretty slow start, it gets really good later on as they establish some really good storylines and recurring immortals (Fitzcairn, Amanda, etc), and tackle some interestings questions in relation to immortals. There's a very obvious reason you don't see immortal kids, old people, retards, etc, but it's nice to see it play out. Plus you get to see quite a few cameos. Sadly S6 existed for the sole purpose of finding a female lead for a spinnoff, so the quality shows that. That spinnof ended up being with Amanda in The Raven - a series I'm (almost) ashamed to say I own. It has an entertaining episode or three, but isn't a very good show.

Anyway, I'd watch this. I'd love to see this IP come back to life. Hell, even just trying is good.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Anyway, I'd watch this. I'd love to see this IP come back to life. Hell, even just trying is good.
Or, they could try digging up that mythical creature called "an original idea" and make something just as good, that would spawn its own (hopefully better) sequels and a tv show. Every time they do one of these it means something new isn't getting made. Taking chances on new ideas is how we got the original Highlander. A movie about immortals running around modern NYC cutting off each others heads and absorbing their power. Sounds like cheesy, straight-to-video shlock. But, it wasn't.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds like cheesy, straight-to-video shlock. But, it wasn't.
Dude let's be honest, the only thing keeping the original from being on the level of straight-to-video shlock is the incredible soundtrack. And honestly I think all the mediocre and outright shitty followups have done a lot to enhance the mystique and cult status of the original.

When's the last time anyone in this thread actually watched the original Highlander movie?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Dude let's be honest, the only thing keeping the original from being on the level of straight-to-video shlock is the incredible soundtrack. And honestly I think all the mediocre and outright shitty followups have done a lot to enhance the mystique and cult status of the original.

When's the last time anyone in this thread actually watched the original Highlander movie?

Yes, it has an awesome soundtrack, and one of my favorite songs of all time, but it was still a decent flick too. It may seem a bit dated now, but seeing it in the theatres when it first came out? It was a damned enjoyable movie.

And I haven't watched it in like 4 or 5 years, but that's mainly because I watched it so many times when I was younger that I can just close my eyes and play it back in my head.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man

I watched it 2 days ago, its just come onto Netflix UK.

• 1Worf

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Or, they could try digging up that mythical creature called "an original idea" and make something just as good, that would spawn its own (hopefully better) sequels and a tv show. Every time they do one of these it means something new isn't getting made. Taking chances on new ideas is how we got the original Highlander. A movie about immortals running around modern NYC cutting off each others heads and absorbing their power. Sounds like cheesy, straight-to-video shlock. But, it wasn't.

Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel. I'm all for new shows and new IPs, but this is an existing one, with an existing fanbase, and there's absolutely no reason not to try and play to them.

Why not both?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
the BBC had an incredible golden age in the mid 2000s to early 2010s. they had Top Gear, Luther, Life on Mars, Doctor Who reboot, Torchwood, Ripper Street and Sherlock. even their Realty shows and documentaries were off the charts. then after 2013 everything went to fucking shit.

Yeah, the Doctor Who reboot was insanely good. I watched the first season (Ninth Doctor?) with my mom a couple years ago and we were both wishing that doctor had more than one season. Also saw a smattering of the 10th and 11th doctors. I think it was the last show we watched together, sadly, before all of our get-togethers turned into political bickering because she watches CNN all day. At this point she's basically a full-on redpilled republican in ideology and still clashes with me because of the damn news.

Anyway not to bring politics up here, point is, those newer Doctor Whos (9/10/11) are really something, and I wish I'd watched more of them. Is the 12th doctor any good?

Torchwood always intrigued me. Is it good enough to seek out? It looks like a combination of Doctor Who and Angel.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Torchwood always intrigued me. Is it good enough to seek out? It looks like a combination of Doctor Who and Angel.
I've only watched a handful of Dr Who episodes but I loved Torchwood. It goes wildly off the rails in later seasons but the first two are amazing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, the Doctor Who reboot was insanely good. I watched the first season (Ninth Doctor?) with my mom a couple years ago and we were both wishing that doctor had more than one season. Also saw a smattering of the 10th and 11th doctors. I think it was the last show we watched together, sadly, before all of our get-togethers turned into political bickering because she watches CNN all day. At this point she's basically a full-on redpilled republican in ideology and still clashes with me because of the damn news.

Anyway not to bring politics up here, point is, those newer Doctor Whos (9/10/11) are really something, and I wish I'd watched more of them. Is the 12th doctor any good?

the 9th, tenth and 11llth Doctors are solid. well mostly. matt smith kinda wore out his welcome in his last season. 12 and 13th doctors are utter trash and retroactively destroyed canon for the entire series. torchwood was solid right up until the end. dont watch the starz version or whatever reboot they might have.

-edit
there was also The Sarah Jane show which was a spinoff of Doctor Who. its not bad, but its aimed at kids. there is also Merlin, which is a lot of fun., even though its dumb. some nice eye candy in it.
katie_mcgrath.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
+1 for the series

While it does indeed get off to a pretty slow start, it gets really good later on as they establish some really good storylines and recurring immortals (Fitzcairn, Amanda, etc), and tackle some interestings questions in relation to immortals. There's a very obvious reason you don't see immortal kids, old people, retards, etc, but it's nice to see it play out. Plus you get to see quite a few cameos. Sadly S6 existed for the sole purpose of finding a female lead for a spinnoff, so the quality shows that. That spinnof ended up being with Amanda in The Raven - a series I'm (almost) ashamed to say I own. It has an entertaining episode or three, but isn't a very good show.

I made myself watch The Raven back when I was in college and catching up on not-so-good extensions of shows I used to like, like Dragonball GT.

With Adrian Paul out of the way, the creators of The Raven were finally able to go full-on COP SHOW like they wanted to do in Highlander: The Series (you can see it in the first 13 eps of Season 1, before AP put his foot down and wanted a change of themes with the back half of the season).

Another thing the Highlander Power That Be always wanted was a post-apocalyptic theme, for some reason. They almost did that in Season 6 with the demon Ahriman ravaging the Earth, but it was too expensive to film, so they ended up abandoning the idea. They drudged it back up for Highlander: The Source and it sucked balls, as anyone could have predicted.

Not sure why they had such a boner for apocalypses and cop shows.

As for The Raven...much like most seasons of The Series, it gets better once it goes to Paris for the back half of the season. IIRC the last...five? or so episodes of The Raven had a very different tone from the first 17, and felt a lot more like normal Highlander. They went from a terrible cop show to "trending in the right direction" by the end, but of course the show was donezo by then. I remember liking the final episode.

The Raven was doomed from the get-go because the two stars (Amanda and that cop she was supposed to have a budding romance with) hated each other in real life, and it came through on screen constantly. Even when they were supposed to like each other, it was there, and it made the whole show not work. Elizabeth Gracen thought that the actor playing the cop was a spy sent to watch her by the CIA or something. Also, Gracen cutting her hair and dying it blonde made her about 80% less attractive. She was gorgeous in, say, Season 3 of the show when she had mid-length black hair.

And speaking of which...cutting her hair and dying it blonde was something Gracen chose to do on her own. The creators of the series wanted her to have her normal black hair (hence...THE RAVEN) and at the last minute she completely changed her look on them.

Between hating her co-star and cutting her hair / dying it blonde at the last minute, Elizabeth Gracen seems kind of messed-up IRL. Not sure if this has anything to do with being sexually-assaulted by Bill Clinton, or if she was a part of any MKUltra weird shit. This is more the domain of MusicForFish MusicForFish

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
the 9th, tenth and 11llth Doctors are solid. well mostly. matt smith kinda wore out his welcome in his last season. 12 and 13th doctors are utter trash and retroactively destroyed canon for the entire series. torchwood was solid right up until the end. dont watch the starz version or whatever reboot they might have.

-edit
there was also The Sarah Jane show which was a spinoff of Doctor Who. its not bad, but its aimed at kids. there is also Merlin, which is a lot of fun., even though its dumb. some nice eye candy in it.
katie_mcgrath.jpg

She looks a hell of a lot like this French girl I had a crush on as a teenager and ended up sorta making a fool out of myself over because she was already dating a guy (I went for it anyway because fuck 'em amirite).

I'll go out of my way to check out Torchwood, and I still need to watch the rest of Tennant and Smith. Disappointed to hear the 12th Doctor fell into trash-ville as I thought that didn't start until the 13th.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
She looks a hell of a lot like this French girl I had a crush on as a teenager and ended up sorta making a fool out of myself over because she was already dating a guy (I went for it anyway because fuck 'em amirite).

I'll go out of my way to check out Torchwood, and I still need to watch the rest of Tennant and Smith. Disappointed to hear the 12th Doctor fell into trash-ville as I thought that didn't start until the 13th.
nah, 12th was full of white people bashing. he didnt start out that way, but thats where he ended up. Katie Mcgrath(chick in the pic
) was super fine for that Merlin show

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Katie Mcgrath(chick in the pic
) was super fine for that Merlin show

Yep. One of the few reasons I could tolerate still watching Supergirl for a bit after it went super-woke. She has that particular Irish look that just does it for me.

Edit: Like the girl who plays Nina in Shadow and bone.

1622596660618.png

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Back in the day, my friend always told me to stay away from the 2nd and 3rd movies, so I always did. I always loved the TV show. Adrian Paul was bad ass, and the Queen theme song is one of the best TV intro's ever. I've always felt the Highlander mythos could hang right up with the Jedi's mythos in the right hands. It's a pretty fucking cool idea. It's very rarely in the right hands sadly.

I hope they don't fuck up the remake, but they'll prolly load it up with hip-hop music or something since rock music is dead. If they do that, it's DOA.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yep. One of the few reasons I could tolerate still watching Supergirl for a bit after it went super-woke. She has that particular Irish look that just does it for me.

Edit: Like the girl who plays Nina in Shadow and bone.

View attachment 356272
yeah, Katie Mcgrath was the main reason why i stuck it out with Merlin to the end. they tried to ugly her up for some reason toward the end, i guess they didnt want a beautiful evil chick. but she was still a smoke show anyway.

iu

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Back in the day, my friend always told me to stay away from the 2nd and 3rd movies, so I always did. I always loved the TV show. Adrian Paul was bad ass, and the Queen theme song is one of the best TV intro's ever. I've always felt the Highlander mythos could hang right up with the Jedi's mythos in the right hands. It's a pretty fucking cool idea. It's very rarely in the right hands sadly.

I hope they don't fuck up the remake, but they'll prolly load it up with hip-hop music or something since rock music is dead. If they do that, it's DOA.

Highlander reboot's main theme will be a "Princes of the Universe" hip-hop rendition by Soundcloud rapper Lil' Homicide

• 2Barf
  • 1Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
same, i didnt think he would be black, but i was surprised that he was this frail injured man under the Vader helmet. he didnt even seem angry, just tired. it was pretty sad.
Why would he be black when he had two children who were whiter than snow?