Highlander

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

highlander.jpg

A Judy Dench Ramirez. El oh el.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i love starship troopers.

i also loved the first highlander. 2nd not so much, 3rd was ok. and the series was (first one) was good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Starship Troopers was so lovingly cheesy. Love how the knife did not stick into the metal wall and yet he held his hand up there.

Highlander is in my top 5 of all time 80's movies. Their choice for Ramirez is going to have to be spot on for this to have any chance. Henry Cavill playing the Highlander is....ok. I can kind of see it, which means it at least stands a chance. They have to keep the original music or it has to be remastered with a similar feel. "Who wants to live forever" is a fantastic song that truly set the mood for the love story aspect of the movie. The only thing that always bugged me about Highlander was the prize. It seemed weak but I am also not a human being that has lived 300+ years. Maybe mortality and mind reading would be the ultimate prize. I just think that could have been worked out better.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are they just beat for beat remaking highlander? I mean I'm meh about reboots but I'm even more meh about remakes. We already had that movie and you arent going to win. Either it's worse and everyone who loved the original will boycott it, or it'll be better and everyone who loved the original will complain about it missing that 80's flair.

I love highlander and watched every episode of the show. I'd just be happy with more immortals and swordfights.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Starship Troopers was so lovingly cheesy. Love how the knife did not stick into the metal wall and yet he held his hand up there.

Highlander is in my top 5 of all time 80's movies. Their choice for Ramirez is going to have to be spot on for this to have any chance. Henry Cavill playing the Highlander is....ok. I can kind of see it, which means it at least stands a chance. They have to keep the original music or it has to be remastered with a similar feel. "Who wants to live forever" is a fantastic song that truly set the mood for the love story aspect of the movie. The only thing that always bugged me about Highlander was the prize. It seemed weak but I am also not a human being that has lived 300+ years. Maybe mortality and mind reading would be the ultimate prize. I just think that could have been worked out better.
"the prize" i assume was to be mortal again. at the end of the movie Highlander babbles on about changing the world and making it better. then later in that scene in the bar in Highlander2, that drunk woman tells him what he did fucked all shit up. nobody was in any rush to be The One, they rather party down for eternity. only the Kurgan had a hardon for supremacy. if Kurgan had won. i dont think he would have done any worse than Highlander.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
nobody was in any rush to be The One, they rather party down for eternity. only the Kurgan had a hardon for supremacy. if Kurgan had won. i dont think he would have done any worse than Highlander

Immortals were all subconsciously drawn towards one another, but it doesn't forcibly compel them to fight. That black dude had a nice chat and coffee with Conner before he went off to fight and lose to The Kurgan.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
"the prize" i assume was to be mortal again. at the end of the movie Highlander babbles on about changing the world and making it better. then later in that scene in the bar in Highlander2, that drunk woman tells him what he did fucked all shit up. nobody was in any rush to be The One, they rather party down for eternity. only the Kurgan had a hardon for supremacy. if Kurgan had won. i dont think he would have done any worse than Highlander.

Unless you watched Highlander 5 or whatever the fuck that awful one was where they made it so the prize was you could have kids.

Let me make this clear...I love highlander. I've watched probably everything ever made. I bought the series set on fucking VHS.

And I regret watching that shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless you watched Highlander 5 or whatever the fuck that awful one was where they made it so the prize was you could have kids.

Let me make this clear...I love highlander. I've watched probably everything ever made. I bought the series set on fucking VHS.

And I regret watching that shit.
That's not exactly how it went, but yes it was so bad that the producer of the TV series said the whole thing was just a bad dream Duncan had.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
That's not exactly how it went, but yes it was so bad that the producer of the TV series said the whole thing was just a bad dream Duncan had.

It was a long time ago. I tried to block it out. Thankfully it worked partially.

I saw that pile of shit in the theater.

I've fucked fat girls and been less embarrassed.

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I actually really enjoyed the one with Mario Van Peebles as the badguy; Final Dimension I think? Endgame was decent, but the way that Connor went out was dumb. The 90s animated series was actually surprisingly not bad either.

2 was really, really, really bad though. And I had a friend who warned me about The Source so I've stayed well away.

All that said? I really like the Highlander universe/mythology (mostly due to the live action series; Duncan > Connor) and I'm interested to see what they have to say, since it's been 14ish years since the last time it was brought up (the "anime" version was... not really good at all. Something like 2007 I think?)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Highlander 1 was a perfect 80s movie. It doesn't need to be rebooted!

The Kurgan remains one of my favorite movie villains ever.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Just saw this. Lot of hate for the old film. I enjoyed it. But then, I have a thing for 80s and 90s B-rated action films. There was probably a 10-15 year period during those two decades when everything lined up for a golden age of "B films". Really enjoy them. Especially if they have some good and cheese one liners.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Just saw this. Lot of hate for the old film. I enjoyed it. But then, I have a thing for 80s and 90s B-rated action films. There was probably a 10-15 year period during those two decades when everything lined up for a golden age of "B films". Really enjoy them. Especially if they have some good and cheese one liners.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who hates Highlander. It's just a fun, campy movie with a cool concept that gets weird when you take it too far.

Which is why we need to leave it alone and not do some woke remake of how the Gathering needs more diversity.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I don't think I've ever met anyone who hates Highlander. It's just a fun, campy movie with a cool concept that gets weird when you take it too far.

Which is why we need to leave it alone and not do some woke remake of how the Gathering needs more diversity.
Ramirez will probably be played by Idris Elba, an egyptian, spanish scottish japanese sword master.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ramirez will probably be played by Idris Elba, an egyptian, spanish scottish japanese sword master.
Is there any doubt that Ramirez will be played by a brown person? They probably would have cast a minority the first time around if they didn't need Connery's name to bring more attention to the film since Lambert and Brown were basically still nobodies.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Is there any doubt that Ramirez will be played by a brown person? They probably would have cast a minority the first time around if they didn't need Connery's name to bring more attention to the film since Lambert and Brown were basically still nobodies.
would be funny if they picked Daniel Craig for Ramirez.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
  • 3Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Apparently you didn't get the memo that Idris Elba is white now

i posted that in the Luther thread. they had a point. he had a white girlfriend and didnt hardly ever talk about being black, he just did his job and his GF was a psychopath. typical white guy stuff.

• 1Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider

Well, the script was pitched to Connery to play the Highlander and he said nah, but i'd do the Ramire-shhh guy.

Either way, the movie was already made .. what ... 6-7 years after they diversity-cast Billy Dee Williams to black-up Empire Strikes Back in response to all those late 70s #starwarstoowhite editorials in the LA times or whatever.

Rednecks have been getting triggered over this since Gerald Ford was president, lol.

• 1Garbage