History of FoH

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Stragi

Trakanon Raider
Let's get one thing straight though. FOH was the "best" because they had the "best" poopsocking-neckbeards, most likely living at home on disability. Success in EQ came down to one thing, time. When you have basically given up on life and can live in Norrath 24 hours a day, you are probably going to be the "best".
That's not how EQ worked. You'd log in and kill everything in one night and then you wouldn't log in for the rest of the week. There was nothing left for other guilds to progress on. EQ just didn't have enough content for everyone; there was no instancing. The only competition there really was were the Japanese guilds on a different timezone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That's not how EQ worked. You'd log in and kill everything in one night and then you wouldn't log in for the rest of the week. There was nothing left for other guilds to progress on. EQ just didn't have enough content for everyone; there was no instancing. The only competition there really was were the Japanese guilds on a different timezone.

I'm sure he'll be distraught that someone with 4 posts is correcting something from 3 years ago.

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean the someone doing it was actually there with us 😀. Talk about a blast from the past lol. Hey man

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
Kreugen basically said the same thing early in the thread. Log in after maintence, kill it all and be done for the week. As there was no "spawn window".

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
99% of everyone in FoH were assholes. Sorceresa, Mod, Mali and Kaz were the most friendly. Then you had roided up Justice threating and ranting in a drug-infused rage most raids. Kreugen was pretty chill, seemed like he always kept his head down and would let out one liners at Sean or someone else being dumb. It was always a blast hanging out with Salis, dude could snort coke and do 20 hr exp grinds with ease.

Yoro TT

If you are referring to Kazlaaz, he was great. I also got along well with Justice, Azian, and Herzog. I had some good interactions with Janx Janx too through Azian. To be honest, I never had any bad experiences with anyone from FoH.

• 1Like

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>
If you are referring to Kazlaaz, he was great. I also got along well with Justice, Azian, and Herzog. I had some good interactions with Janx Janx too through Azian. To be honest, I never had any bad experiences with anyone from FoH.
Azian and I were RL friends. Worked together at a movie theater. He was part of the reason I played EQ so long.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
la~

Last edited:

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
These rose colored glasses that people look back on with the uberguilds in EQ is still hilarious to me. Showeq, devs in the guild (even chilling in mirc, cough #fires,#steel etc), shit was already all known from alpha/beta tests...every guild had their people who had all the info before an expansion was even released ---> ours was Rob Pardo. He got Brad to transfer his warrior No drop items, pretty sure it was Soul Leech from Plane of Fear and other shit (who knows what else).

In LoS the most we ever had active was 35ish members when I was there in the good ole days (way less than the other top guilds) and out of that there were maybe 5-6 really fucking good players, a few soso's, and the rest were 25-30 sheep that could usually follow orders and follow a CH rotation. Those really good players we had went on to WoW where they got the worldfirst Onyxia under the tag Ruin--->Tenaj, Saldor, Lofwyr etc. Same Ruin that was on Sullon Zek for a time when a bunch of us left LoS out of boredom for pvp--->for the reason others said in this thread. Got bored where you log in 1 to 2 days, kill everything, then have nothing to do but PL alts so pvp was something to do at least. I played with a bunch of FoH, AL (and our own guildmembers) etc in other games including WoW and it was the same story.....95% were terrible but would brag about "I was in _____ uberguild" but couldn't do simple stuff like not stand in the fire in WoW.

I will say, Furor knew his shit from FoH. For monkly things, Denron was the same.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
You need to realize EQ and other first generation MMOs requires little to no skill to become "hardcore". Even today, if you played on a EQ TLP, 95% of players are not good at all including guild/raid leaders/officers. Some of them don't even fully understand the class they are playing after all these years, it's embarrassing to see.

If you are looking to be competitive (server 1st / world 1st) in a modern MMO, stay away from any well-known guild from old school MMOs such as EQ.

Last edited:
  • 1Cringe

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Azian and I were RL friends. Worked together at a movie theater. He was part of the reason I played EQ so long.
I remember first meeting Azian in CT as he ran around. The first or one of the first people I remember seeing in full rubicite. Dude lived there. Still see him pop onto Steam every once in awhile.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To be hardcore you didn't need much skill for the most part for the majority of the guild---just shit tons of time to poopsock. There was still a lot of info good players knew and there was a huge gap between the top few percent who truly knew the mechanics and how to apply it in-game to everyone else, or even use it without needing to exploit (esp when GMs were constantly watching).

Skill > gear most certainly for classes like monks. Our most pimped out monk in LoS was prolly top 2 or 3 of all monks in EQ gearwise in Velious (had the worldfirst AoW monk pants etc) yet prolly couldn't fucking FD break the ghoul lord room in guk. I would return from a few months absence from college after taking a break etc and instantly take over raid pulling with gear from the last expansion since this monk was so terrible. Basically an auto-attack bot.

Speaking of which, I was eternally jelly of SKs. A good SK could shit on monks on almost any pull if they were worth their salt. They had every tool you could want. And were gods in pvp. Yup, still salty.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty
These rose colored glasses that people look back on with the uberguilds in EQ is still hilarious to me.
There were numerous servers. The core Heathers and satellite Heathers only happened on some of the servers. Others had diff experiences, and tbh, more exciting for longer. Quellious did not safely stabilize into a single farm status guild till GoD, for example. It was blow for blow there for a while, Cotton.
You need to realize
No I don't

Brad2770

To be a hardcore guild in EQ, you were only as good as your healers. Several guilds, much larger than Fiends, that could barely do the things we did with two thirds or half the amount of raid force. We had some pretty sick healers.

It's matter of debate what changing to a raid-lock number of 72 players had on how the game worked. It was a seldom mentioned new idea, and it eliminated both older strategies, which given the numbers sometimes involved, at least deserve points for managing swarm ld's, AND potential other strategies and mechanics the game could have otherwise adopted.

I feel the 72 man raid basically locked the game into a set mold. One size will fit all. And for sure, if you just wanted to kill stuff ded, get loots, it was better to have a trim roster with as little surplus members as possible. Less mouths to feed. Less farm. All true.

But it did kind of "close the book" on what a raid was. EQ2 continued the same mechanic of course.

Not even having a raid channel was a treat. Especially if your raid was a coalition, as lots of early raids were, at least on my server.

EQ only seems easy on hindsight. Lots of people had to learn to do this for the first time. It took time to find people who actually understood, "yes, this may take a few hours, minimum." Being 1st gen plowing through the expansions from original, was not "easy" except for maybe "less min-maxed to death." There was no consensus, on my server, how a "hardcore" guild should work. I always did strict dkp, very few reserves, with quarterly adjustments so no one gets to high they can't drop to zero with a single binge night.

Original eq was no way easy given the newness of such a thing, the need for a playerbase to all get somewhat on same pages, a culture to develop, a server culture to develop, little dramas, loot cyber scandals, cafe accounts run by Thai speed freaks who all play rangers. No rez la~.

And the internet itself. Dial up majority. AOL hourly time-outs. Entire swaths of the US going ld, like a million souls screaming at once.

The history of FoH has to include the ecosystem of guilds in general. That's what puts it all into context.

One guild was sober house group in RL. They just all played dwarves and constantly drank. They would do drunk open raids. I forget name. It was only up till Kunark, then they all fell of the wagon for real.

Clerics with 3 infants in the other room brb.

Drunk players. <cracks a Miller>

You just have to think a bit. Entire nights were spent hoping for someone to come back. And so you went back the next night.

And you 24/7'd key camps on the Moon. You, sir, are a true Modern American PC Master Race. For you are the second guild in Vex Thal on your server.

And, the first soul essence was for the MT, fixed dkp price -- a big chunk, cuz you got the dibs. Second was ffa, and that's right.

Whether you think that is funny or not depends on your play style. Wraith reserved stuff, but only if really it was big, and then it was open bidding in /gu.

On drunk raid nights, it was fun to goad drunk monks to drain their dkp on a splurge, or bidding war.

no min-max. just playing a good game 1st gen. And still being top 3 guild and finally top one by PoP-GoD.

Cybsled

Skill > gear most certainly for classes like monks. Our most pimped out monk in LoS was prolly top 2 or 3 of all monks in EQ gearwise in Velious (had the worldfirst AoW monk pants etc) yet prolly couldn't fucking FD break the ghoul lord room in guk. I would return from a few months absence from college after taking a break etc and instantly take over raid pulling with gear from the last expansion since this monk was so terrible. Basically an auto-attack bot.

Funny how lots of the uber guild monks seemed to have ultimate peaks gearwise in Velious. I was probably legit one of the most geared monks in all of EQ during Velious as well (Only sleeper robe on server, every single monk Vulak loot, AOW pants).

As for pulls, I was a good puller, but I had less patience and usually pulled the maximum amount I knew the raid could handle vs. dripping that shit in. Raids were fucking boring enough as is. I literally fell asleep splitting fury drakes in NToV once...woke up hours later to find myself alone and surrounded by multiple character bodies lol.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Modern MMOs do not care about how "good" a player was in EQ. Sure you know a few tricks here and there about healing / pulling in EQ. But can you still min/max your HPS/DPS while dealing with 3-4 or even more boss mechanics when there is no place to LoS in modern MMOs says WoW, Wildstar, maybe even RIFT? That's what I am trying to say, you can't just say "I was soo good in EQ, I must be really good in other games as well". That's a delusion. You gotta re-prove it.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users