History of FoH

Cybsled

EQ1 fights pretty much all followed the same pattern: Find the safe spots to dodge AOEs/hide your healers and squishies, figure out the tank swaps, deal with the x-factor (knockback, poisons, mana drains, etc). The strategy usually was much harder to crack than the actual execution requirements, which is why every guild kept that shit as close to the chest as possible.

If you look at it with unclouded vision, Mythic raids in WoW or Ultimate raids in FFXIV are much harder than anything we had to deal with in EQ1, primarily because flawless execution on the shoulders of everyone matters. In EQ1, it was more macro level: Make sure X% of your raid doesn't die, but that ratio could be fucked with it you zerged the boss. I remember in Planes of Power, we teamed up with a bunch of other guilds and ultra zerged Rallos Zek just so we could get into the elemental planes faster. No joke, we probably had like 120-150 people in there. Shit was a slideshow, I had to stare at the floor the entire time and even then I was getting like 1/4th a frame a second, if that lol

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Modern MMOs do not care about how "good" a player was in EQ. Sure you know a few tricks here and there about healing / pulling in EQ. But can you still min/max your HPS/DPS while dealing with 3-4 or even more boss mechanics when there is no place to LoS in modern MMOs says WoW, Wildstar, maybe even RIFT? That's what I am trying to say, you can't just say "I was soo good in EQ, I must be really good in other games as well". That's a delusion. You gotta re-prove it.
WoW is not some difficult game. Its just not. Great players I played with in EQ were great players in WoW. The guys I played with who figured out you could bypass a tank and use a charm rotation on mobs to tank Tormax and AoW for the world first kill were the same guys who got the world first kill on Onyxia and were figuring out the top dps/hps rotations---that's what great players do. They did this in every game we played together.

The big difference from EQ to WoW which you mentioned in the latter part was the real reason it was harder as a whole to be successful. WoW suddenly made it where you couldn't have 5-6 great players who carried a guild full of retards who only had to show up to give you the numbers you needed. You had fights that were dps checks that required those same retards to now pull their weight. It made recruiting and running a guild much harder since 1 person could fuck it up for everyone -- not so much in EQ. You ended up with some dipshit in WoW who would get "You are the bomb" and stand there and blow up the raid. If you could keep the MT alive, have a decent puller, and people could simply move around a corner thats most all you needed in EQ.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shit I posted above before I read Cybsled's post, he said the same thing lol woulda saved me some time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So people in top guilds think the top guilds were hot shit while the people that weren't in the top guilds don't

Riveting stuff

• 1NPC
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So people in top guilds think the top guilds were hot shit while the people that weren't in the top guilds don't

Riveting stuff
"Hot shit". Brilliant analysis. Anything but.

People who were "good" at Everquest of all things weren't some gigabigbrain prodigy. It's a video game with a few buttons to *gasp* master.

its simply that video games are a good snapshot of how retarded the general population is and something as easy ""Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr stand in fire bad" is too complex for the average WoW/Mmorpg toilet licking dipshit fast food worker that comprises 99% of the population. Spending 5 minutes on twitter is affirmation of this.

Pretty sure we have established "top guild" was 1% skill 99% poopsock

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Knowledge was pretty critical up until about The Burning Crusade, or whenever wow head came around and made that shit public. That's what drove the social aspect, and elitism. Someone had to poopsock a boss enough times to get the mechanics.

Now the poopsocking in raiding is marching band practice. It's virtually the same fucking thing. Being in the right place, moving at the right time, while playing a musical instrument of abilities on the keyboard. And everyone has the sheet music before they start practice.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Coming from competing world 1st in Wildstar and RIFT, and had experience on a TLP recently, Those so call "EQ vets" with that hot shit mentality was funny watch especially when they aren't that good themself.

Also, I have been following WoW mythic raid closely in the past couple years, calling modern WoW is not difficult just show how 'outdated' people are.

Say if there is a new MMO coming out and you are looking for a potential world 1st / server 1st guild, personally I would nope the fuck out from any guild with extensive EQ history and/or that EQ vet hot shit mentality. That's all.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Moron

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Coming from competing world 1st in Wildstar and RIFT, and had experience on a TLP recently, Those so call "EQ vets" with that hot shit mentality was funny watch especially when they aren't that good themself.

Also, I have been following WoW mythic raid closely in the past couple years, calling modern WoW is not difficult just show how 'outdated' people are.

Say if there is a new MMO coming out and you are looking for a potential world 1st / server 1st guild, personally I would stay away from any guild with EQ history and/or that EQ vet hot shit mentality. That's all.
Are you 15? Do adults still care about this shit?

4y38qg.jpg

Its_still_real_to_me_dammit

• 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
This turns to classic internet troll real quick. You see, people play games for different reasons. Some of us keep an open mind, and welcome new challenges and adapt to new game plays.

By the way, what are you doing here if you don't care about this stuff? There are plenty of places to dicuss investment, politic, or other more serious topics.

• 2Salty

Xevy

Log Wizard
Wildstar was probably the most difficult Raid content of any MMO without "levels" to raiding. Instead of hoping too many people didn't die or you'd wipe, on most fights, if one person died you wiped.

It was the "WE WANT A HARD RAIDING MMO!!!!!" game. And that's why it failed. People couldn't hang. The first boss of the 40 man (the highest end content) wasn't even dead in the first 3 months of launch. I was in like the, I don't know, 7th best guild but by the time the 40 man was even tryable by guilds Death and Taxes was moving server to server just TRYING to eat enough people to get a full roster of non retards to do it. My guild was being absorbed basically the day I quit. It was DDR and Comboing to the max with some mechanics that were RNG hell, some you could control, and some on boss fights that shifted weekly so people didn't have any 'strats' for the fights yet based on the fight composition.

But yeah, "I WAS IN TOP EQ GUILD" is just as irrelevant as "I WAS IN TOP WOW GUILD" or "I WAS IN TOP WILDSTAR GUILD". Prove you don't suck and I'll know you don't suck. When recruiting name dropping on applications is usually a red flag for trying to achieve easy cred. Most of the better players I know were all the best players in their guild, but their guilds themselves weren't anything talked about. That's how it happens most of the time.

The best is "I WAS _____ ranked _____ in ____!" No one fucking cares. If I watch you not suck at gaming, I'll know you don't suck at gaming. Tell me you're good and I'll find out quickly you're not good enough.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Our most pimped out monk in LoS was prolly top 2 or 3 of all monks in EQ gearwise in Velious (had the worldfirst AoW monk pants etc) yet prolly couldn't fucking FD break the ghoul lord room in guk. I would return from a few months absence from college after taking a break etc and instantly take over raid pulling with gear from the last expansion since this monk was so terrible.
Monq ?

One guy I'd fangirl over if he were still around: Manalope. He was funny af and was a damn good player. He had rings and magic amulets out the wazoo! (remember that article?)

Shadowspear was a legend too. Fijian roomate! Dear God I can't believe it has been TWENTY YEARS ago!

• 2Like

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Monq ?

One guy I'd fangirl over if he were still around: Manalope. He was funny af and was a damn good player. He had rings and magic amulets out the wazoo! (remember that article?)

Shadowspear was a legend too. Fijian roomate! Dear God I can't believe it has been TWENTY YEARS ago!
Nah, Arlos. Monq was actually good and could pull really well but he would disappear for months at a time. He also played his OG character from another server I think as well.

Good ole Lope. Manalope was hilarious, but he didn't join LoS till after most of us left for Sullon Zek to reform as Ruin. But I had grouped a bunch with him on Nameless and he was hands down the best cleric on the server -- we recruited him forever but he was loyal to his guild which always made me respect him. Lope destroyed most everyone on the server in /duels on his cleric. Not me tho! Ton Po procs ftw~ Lucky procs were the only way to beat his fucking cleric, lol.

Shadowspear joined us on SZ and was a god bard in pvp, he would no joke wreck full groups of equal level players in open world pvp by himself. Bards on pvp servers were insane, and he was probably the best I ever played with. Completely batshit insane, but incredibly good.

EQ on SZ was the most fun I ever had in any mmorpg. No rules, griefing, camping, training....everything was allowed. Not to mention raiding took on a whole new level of insanity--->clearing NtOV and having to have rear guards to deal with bards etc trying to train your raids since it was allowed. The pure hatred people had for us there was awesome.

Last edited:

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
EQ on SZ was the most fun I ever had in any mmorpg. No rules, griefing, camping, training....everything was allowed. Not to mention raiding took on a whole new level of insanity--->clearing NtOV and having to have rear guards to deal with bards etc trying to train your raids since it was allowed. The pure hatred people had for us there was awesome.
The evil teams ruled SZ, and we referred to y'all as "Team Easy" since none of the other teams posed a challenge. The guild <Hate> dominated during the Luclin / PoP eras.

• 1Solidarity

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The evil teams ruled SZ, and we referred to y'all as "Team Easy" since none of the other teams posed a challenge. The guild <Hate> dominated during the Luclin / PoP eras.
When SZ was announced we told everyone on those toxic SZ forums that went up we were going to roll Evil side -- this was like a month out. We never talked smack, just wanted to have a good time coming from a pve server to do something different. A bunch didn't want to go up against us so they rolled Evil side too. Tactically it was smart, evil side had pretty much an entire expansion to themselves -- in hindsight we would have made a different decision.

If we had known that many guilds were going to go evil side too, we would have gone to a different team. We even approached the GMs to see if they would give us different races of the same gear/levels to make the server a more competitive environment but they said no. We even considered starting over and rerolling to a different team, but interest was dying at that point or people were too invested in their characters by then. When Hate took over "dominating" a bunch of the guild were in WoW alpha/F&F by then and weren't active -- the active guys we still had left joined with Hate.

But yea, I wish the server was more balanced. I think they could have put it to a vote to the players and all 3 teams would have agreed and let us change sides -- it would have been so much more fun because we would have gone to the good team to even it out. It was still a blast. Had some epic fights againt DBC and Tides of War on my monk!

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm half tempted to dump a bunch of old FOH stuff, but I dunno how motivated I am today.

Coffee & TV, LOL

Kind of weird how this turned out, decades later.

Lic1CJ8.jpg
Does Alex/Furor have any association with FOH at all anymore?

I imagine he's probably at a point where he just wants to leave all this shit behind or he's kept quiet under some crazy NDA, but it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on how shit went down over the past 20 years at Blizzard.