Hogwarts Legacy

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
PS5 Performance is great. Camera is super fucking close in performance mode, though, ugh. Game is 21st century Woke on the down low. Its all there: Just hit a quest and old broad said my wife loves X. Random side quest has interracial couple, black man in top hat with Irish wife. Game loaded with black people and lesbians for 19th Century Britain. I mean, I don't care for 21st century where ever but its just set phasers to Pandering. This would be overkill for 23rd century United Federation of Planets Star Trek, much less 19th Century Scotland.

Game is still fun if you can ignore SJW sideshow. Ut's controller settings helped a bunch, plus just getting out of the 12 hour tutorial. and getting some real game play under my belt. I say that, I am still getting to the end of it, I am level 16? and still haven't got my broom but am exploring the countryside and fighting ashstriders? and Loyalists.

Once you get disllusionist? (invis spell by following main story) you can get tons of Galleons from the eyeball chests all over the place at 500 a pop.

• 6Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 6 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Once you get disllusionist? (invis spell by following main story) you can get tons of Galleons from the eyeball chests all over the place at 500 a pop.
Wow, didn't even realize that's how you open those. I've got a lot of backtracking to do.

I did finally get the level 1 lockpick though.

Also finished up the House Tokens finally.

You get your house robe. Ravenclaw's is pretty cool. It's very reflective.

Untitled.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Those of you on PS5, what graphic setting did you settle on? At first I was thinking 60fps performance mode all the way, like I do for most games, but then I hear people talking about how beautiful the game looks which makes me think maybe 30fps fidelity with RT is the way to go in a game like this.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Fidelity with RT tanks the frame rate. 4K was also pretty blah. Game runs and looks great though on performance. So ive been using that.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
i've been playing in balanced mode and it looks great, hit 1 or 2 minor FPS chugs during big combat scenes but just wandering around exploring is perfectly fine. I believe if you have an LG OLED (or anything else that supports HDMI 2.1 VRR) you want to leave FPS at CAPPED so it favors more texture power and occasional FPS dips (VRR will smooth that out), vs locking FPS at the cost of rendering.

• Fidelity – A high fidelity mode that favors resolution (presumed 4K at 30fps)
  • Fidelity with Ray Tracing – A higher fidelity rendering mode with Raytracing
  • Performance – A high-framerate mode that favours performance (presumed 1080p at 60FPS)
  • Balanced – A rendering mode aiming for a balance, that’s only available on supported output devices (presumed dynamic 4K at 40FPS)
  • HFR Performance – An ultra highframerate mode favouring maximum performance that’s only available on supported output devices (presumed dynamic 1080P at 120FPS)

I'm only 3 hours in or so, probably will play in Fidelity mode tomorrow to see if I notice any difference. Hogwarts (the school) is fucking amazing to just wander around in

PS5 is doing VRR + HDR so fps for the most part seems pretty stable. I did notice a weird HDR/coloring issue in a cut scene where the light source would go in and out on face reflections.

• 3Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
i've been playing in balanced mode and it looks great, hit 1 or 2 minor FPS chugs during big combat scenes but just wandering around exploring is perfectly fine. I believe if you have an LG OLED (or anything else that supports HDMI 2.1 VRR) you want to leave FPS at CAPPED so it favors more texture power and occasional FPS dips (VRR will smooth that out), vs locking FPS at the cost of rendering.

• Fidelity – A high fidelity mode that favors resolution (presumed 4K at 30fps)
  • Fidelity with Ray Tracing – A higher fidelity rendering mode with Raytracing
  • Performance – A high-framerate mode that favours performance (presumed 1080p at 60FPS)
  • Balanced – A rendering mode aiming for a balance, that’s only available on supported output devices (presumed dynamic 4K at 40FPS)
  • HFR Performance – An ultra highframerate mode favouring maximum performance that’s only available on supported output devices (presumed dynamic 1080P at 120FPS)

I'm only 3 hours in or so, probably will play in Fidelity mode tomorrow to see if I notice any difference. Hogwarts (the school) is fucking amazing to just wander around in

PS5 is doing VRR + HDR so fps for the most part seems pretty stable. I did notice a weird HDR/coloring issue in a cut scene where the light source would go in and out on face reflections.
Hmm

I do not have a balanced option on PS5. Just fidelity, fidelity with ray tracing and performance.

edit. Crap. Since my receiver is still hdmi 2.0 and I’m using that as the switch with pass through found out balanced only works directly with HDMI 2.1. I might have to try direct connect to the TV for this game and use headphones, try LG C1 speakers and 3D audio (heard it doesn’t sound bad) or arc back to the receiver.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
PS5 Performance is great. Camera is super fucking close in performance mode, though, ugh.
So in fidelity and balanced mode is the camera further back?

Earlier in the thread there were some options adjustments posted for ways to make the game play better / less sluggish. Something about changing camera sensitivity settings, and another post with a Reddit screenshot about another setting. I think "camera following distance" was also in there. I wish I had those posts on-hand. I know there were a few settings that had to be set to "0"

Anyone want to do an all-in-one quick synopsis of settings to flip on the PS5 version at the outset to make the game better?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I can't get through the tutorial mission. It's probably been posted but Professor Fig whiffs the second ledge climb and then just permanently runs into the mountain. Re-logged, deleted and re-made my character and Fig just keeps never being able to climb the second ledge in the intro

have you waited and let him go down first? At least the ledge he had to jump down I had to reopen game and not run ahead of him there.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They see me Rowlin, they hatin'

Got a week suspy from Hogwarts Legacy discord

Apparently comments like "you'd have to be insane not to like this game" and "I yelled spoilers into the little girls bathroom, everyone clapped" is past the tolerance limit. WB is fighting the good fight against the trolls. I'll be sewing on another meme war patch.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Earlier in the thread there were some options adjustments posted for ways to make the game play better / less sluggish. Something about changing camera sensitivity settings, and another post with a Reddit screenshot about another setting. I think "camera following distance" was also in there. I wish I had those posts on-hand. I know there were a few settings that had to be set to "0"

Anyone want to do an all-in-one quick synopsis of settings to flip on the PS5 version at the outset to make the game better?

Camera acceleration OFF / 0
Camera sensitivity Max (2)
Camera follow speed 0 - this one’s gonna be personal preference. I ended up setting it to 0.5 for lazy insurance. Probably isn’t doing anything.

I’m also doing performance mode on PS5 with VRR on Sony X90J. If this is 1080p, it’s the best 1080p I’ve ever seen.

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Camera acceleration OFF / 0
Camera sensitivity Max (2)
Camera follow speed 0 - this one’s gonna be personal preference. I ended up setting it to 0.5 for lazy insurance. Probably isn’t doing anything.

I’m also doing performance mode on PS5 with VRR on Sony X90J. If this is 1080p, it’s the best 1080p I’ve ever seen.
Thanks for the settings. My x90h that was touted by Sony as “the ps5 tv” at release can’t do vrr without turning off local dimming. Sucks, but no vrr for me.
edit: and disabled extended dynamic range. Sony really dropped the ball with the x90h. They should offer refunds or upgrades to newer models since these features were advertised but then never came to fruition.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Games pretty alright.
Only real complaint is I am not looking forward to switching spells around every time I run into a something but that’s just a staple of the genre I suppose.
I judge the Harry Potter world amiably, it’s whimsical and fun and the game does a good job of repressing iit but it’s not sonething I take seriously. Neither do the in game characters, dudes just witness a horrid act of violence and two minutes later are all like ‘hoo hum chuckle about magic’. It’s fluff and there is nothing wrong with that in the slightest.
tranny is yawn, I don’t care anymore.
Diversity quota is whatever, that shit ain’t going away so we might as well get over it.
lesbian couple was yawn, I don’t care anymore.
game is fun to play, it’s a good game. Cutscenes are not overly long thus far and neither are the talking head scenes.
im still in the beginning but I give it a solid 7/10 thus far and would recommend it to any action rpg “not Zelda” game enjoyer unless they disliked the Harry Potter movies.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Games pretty alright.
Only real complaint is I am not looking forward to switching spells around every time I run into a something but that’s just a staple of the genre I suppose.

Once you unlock the talent trees, you can unlock additional spell rows of 4 like your original that you can cycle through (on PC you use your wheel on your mouse like swapping guns in a FPS). Makes it not so bad.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Once you unlock the talent trees, you can unlock additional spell rows of 4 like your original that you can cycle through (on PC you use your wheel on your mouse like swapping guns in a FPS). Makes it not so bad.
Is that a spoiler? I don't think so. I don't remember if I read it but someone said they didn't want to carry items for Transmog but everything you pick up is added to transmog permanently, so you can immediately sell it and then change what you just found back to your original look for free; Its the best transmog system I have ever seen or at least IIRC. If anything, No respec sucks, things unlock WAAAAY too slow. They should either have on rails the story missions with the unlocks so its all done in the first 5 or so hours or not gated everything so heavily. I may be level 20 before I get a broom.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Is that a spoiler? I don't think so. I don't remember if I read it but someone said they didn't want to carry items for Transmog but everything you pick up is added to transmog permanently, so you can immediately sell it and then change what you just found back to your original look for free; Its the best transmog system I have ever seen or at least IIRC. If anything, No respec sucks, things unlock WAAAAY too slow. They should either have on rails the story missions with the unlocks so its all done in the first 5 or so hours or not gated everything so heavily. I may be level 20 before I get a broom.

you don’t start with it and unlock it via a quest. Either way, it didn’t hurt to put it in a spoiler.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
well, the ability to put points in the talent tree is unlocked after a certain point but this game slow rolls *everything* out, including spells needed to access certain quests and areas of the game. I mean, no big deal but its something everyone is going find; its not a story detail, just a gameplay mechanic. Your choice, I didn't want you being too hard yourself, really. Its something everyone will want to know.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Im not being hard in myself at all. I did something that err’ed on the side of caution to be courteous to others. It cost me nothing and in the event it wasn’t needed it still cost me nothing.

this is a weird conversation.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>

I was fucking with all sorts of settings and nothing affected CPU usage. Wonder if Denuvo is fucking with things.

Last edited:
  • 1Like