Home buying thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well I've been absolutely seething this morning. We were originally supposed to close today, but on Friday they told us the appraisal came in late (Thursday, was supposed to be Tuesday) and they had to push it to this Thursday.

Last night our realtor said, hey, good news, the sod is outside the house. We don't know if the sod guys will show up (today) though, so we'd see in the morning. Our realtor and the sales guy from the building company tell us this morning they still don't know if the sod guys will show up, but they were working on it. She also mentioned sort of as a side that the sales guy was looking for a "skid steer to final grade the yard." Wait, what?

Didn't hear anything the rest of the morning, so I told the wife I was driving over there. Whoops! Turns out they still haven't graded the fucking yard. I sent a very shitty text with pictures to our realtor about how they owe me an answer as to why they set these closing dates with no intention of keeping them. We're still waiting to hear back, but I'm going to make it very clear they that've lied to us on several occasions now (the big one being this morning saying they had sod guys scheduled -- bullshit you did, or the yard would be graded; but the other is blaming the appraisal for the delay when, once again, they hadn't finished grading it). And I don't appreciate being lied to. I'm not sure if I want to drop the "lawyer" word on them, because I feel like they could become vindictive and say "fuck you, we won't be finished for months." (I should point out that last week the appraisal came in under our offer, and the owner of the building company wanted to appeal the decision which takes a month; I'm like, fuck no you aren't)

We're already paying for the utilities, our rate lock expires Friday (it was a 45 day rate lock ffs), we're out of our rental on Monday. I've already had to reschedule our fridge, internet installation, and U-Haul once. I can absolutely show financial damages, and I have evidence they've lied about their intentions to finish the property to us.

Meanwhile the house next door that put in their offer weeks after ours closed last week. But no one has moved in. For some reason they graded their yard back in August and just decided to say fuck it to ours. Oh, and that sod that's sitting outside the house will almost definitely be dead by the time they get off their asses to install it. Awesome.
"schedule the sod guys". el-oh-el. They just need to hit the Home Depot parking lots at 6am.

1634670597206.png

Attachments

• 1634670577946.png
    1634670577946.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 1

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Do you have a copy of your Appraisal report? Look at the signed date/date of report, not the effective date. The signed date most likely the day the Appraiser uploaded the report to Lender/AMC. Lenders blame Appraisers all the time for lending process fuck ups. There is a possibility the Appraiser sent the report in on time and was asked to make a revision so that signed date might not tell the whole story. And of course it is quite possible the Appraiser was late and in that case (with the exception of a COVID infection/true emergency) fuck them, fuck them right in the ear. You don't take on work and commit to due dates if you can't perform, especially on purchases for all the reason you listed above. You truly can fuck people's lives upside down by being one day late.

Sorry you are dealing with this bullshit, in my experience the lending hiccups you're dealing with versus your neighbor are likely due to them having a more competent Lender. The construction delays are likely a result of all the labor shortages and lack of skilled laborers available in your area. I would guess it less of a supply and demand issue as Builders often have stockpiled everything the need to complete a PUD before they start. Not always the case just stating what my experience is.

At this stage I am not sure a lawyer threat will help you. I would guilt the fuck out of them, try to make your problems their problems and after you close depending on how you feel, look into seeking damages then.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well I've been absolutely seething this morning. We were originally supposed to close today, but on Friday they told us the appraisal came in late (Thursday, was supposed to be Tuesday) and they had to push it to this Thursday.

Last night our realtor said, hey, good news, the sod is outside the house. We don't know if the sod guys will show up (today) though, so we'd see in the morning. Our realtor and the sales guy from the building company tell us this morning they still don't know if the sod guys will show up, but they were working on it. She also mentioned sort of as a side that the sales guy was looking for a "skid steer to final grade the yard." Wait, what?

Didn't hear anything the rest of the morning, so I told the wife I was driving over there. Whoops! Turns out they still haven't graded the fucking yard. I sent a very shitty text with pictures to our realtor about how they owe me an answer as to why they set these closing dates with no intention of keeping them. We're still waiting to hear back, but I'm going to make it very clear they that've lied to us on several occasions now (the big one being this morning saying they had sod guys scheduled -- bullshit you did, or the yard would be graded; but the other is blaming the appraisal for the delay when, once again, they hadn't finished grading it). And I don't appreciate being lied to. I'm not sure if I want to drop the "lawyer" word on them, because I feel like they could become vindictive and say "fuck you, we won't be finished for months." (I should point out that last week the appraisal came in under our offer, and the owner of the building company wanted to appeal the decision which takes a month; I'm like, fuck no you aren't)

We're already paying for the utilities, our rate lock expires Friday (it was a 45 day rate lock ffs), we're out of our rental on Monday. I've already had to reschedule our fridge, internet installation, and U-Haul once. I can absolutely show financial damages, and I have evidence they've lied about their intentions to finish the property to us.

Meanwhile the house next door that put in their offer weeks after ours closed last week. But no one has moved in. For some reason they graded their yard back in August and just decided to say fuck it to ours. Oh, and that sod that's sitting outside the house will almost definitely be dead by the time they get off their asses to install it. Awesome.
i'm not gonna defend contractors, but just b/c the neighborhouse was done, doesn't mean yours could have been done at the same exact time.

also, while you can't live there until the sod is down, you do "own" the property right? so cant you still have deliveries(fridge) and jobs(internet) done while youre not an occupant, but still the owner? just let them in physically

do you have possession of the home?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Based on your other updates was getting the feeling it was going to be unlikely they pull their shit together last minute. Have you tried to find someone to do the work? If it's anything like here you probably wouldn't have any luck finding someone but I think I'd at least try.
Last night we asked if we could just do the sod ourselves (we had assumed the property was graded). They said they can't allow us to for "liability reasons." I may ask if we sign a liability release if we can (assuming they grade the fucking place).

We're hopefully going to talk to them soon and I'm going to ask what the fuck we can do because this is ridiculous.

Edit: Saw all the other responses. Yeah, we offered to do the sod today. My wife even mentioned just finding some illegals to do it. Our lender said high school kids (adding, "wow, the sod just magically got laid down!").

The appraisal was apparently done on the 4th, and was in fact "submitted" on the 14th. No idea why the delay. But the "lie" here is they said it was the appraiser's fault we couldn't close on time. When the reality is they still haven't finished the fucking grading which is required everywhere in the country.

The neighbor thing they blamed on covid. "All the electrician crews were sick." This is a half truth. We went into both houses at that time, ours was partially wired up, theirs fully. Why they completed the house scheduled to close later originally before ours is their fuck up. There should be someone onsite directing the electricians what the priority is. The lender we're using is one of the builders "preferred lenders." So that's not it. In fact, the lender has been on top of it.

Finally, no, we don't own the property until we close.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Last night we asked if we could just do the sod ourselves (we had assumed the property was graded). They said they can't allow us to for "liability reasons."

We're hopefully going to talk to them soon and I'm going to ask what the fuck we can do because this is ridiculous.
Well you could ask for a credit and settle anyway, that doesn't get you occupancy permit but you would then be the owner and could take control of its completion. I would only do that if you a letter or something verifying that the only thing preventing the occupancy permit being the remaining work. Obviously if your lender wont settle under those conditions then you are forced to just keep putting up with their bullshit and hope they resolve with just pressure.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So we talked to the builder sales rep. He basically said they grade the property and lay sod at the same time. Once again I feel like he's lying to me. But maybe they do sometimes? Apparently one of the sod guys was arrested, and two others didn't show up to work. So I asked if he had a schedule and he said no. They're just going to hope someone shows up.

I asked about hiring literally anyone else, and he said they "vet" the company and people they sub it to, and that takes two weeks. Uh, okay. How'd that work out for your crew who didn't show up? Afterwards I was telling my wife they're likely 100% felons or illegals, so I don't know what the fuck vetting they're doing.

I honestly don't know what we do at this point but just wait. I asked him if this could get extended out a month because they never get sod guys and he said "it's possible." I also floated a release of liability I could sign and do it myself and he said no, and our realtor said we can't close without the certificate of occupancy (the loan is dependent on it).

I do also partially blame my wife. When we gave notice to vacate our rental I told her to do it through the end of October and for some reason she did it 6 days after we were supposed to close. It's only a difference of 4 days, but right now that seems massive.

Each day I loathe my job more and more. I mentioned before even if we weren't retiring, I would quit this job because it's fucking terrible. Each delay of closing makes me die inside a little more.

We haven't cancelled anything yet because it's still possible we close Friday (just means I need to reschedule our fridge to next week and internet install). I'm 90% sure we don't make that at this point, but I'd rather not reschedule and then need to do it again when we get a new date settled.

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So we talked to the builder sales rep. He basically said they grade the property and lay sod at the same time. Once again I feel like he's lying to me. But maybe they do sometimes? Apparently one of the sod guys was arrested, and two others didn't show up to work. So I asked if he had a schedule and he said no. They're just going to hope someone shows up.

I asked about hiring literally anyone else, and he said they "vet" the company and people they sub it to, and that takes two weeks. Uh, okay. How'd that work out for your crew who didn't show up? Afterwards I was telling my wife they're likely 100% felons or illegals, so I don't know what the fuck vetting they're doing.

I honestly don't know what we do at this point but just wait. I asked him if this could get extended out a month because they never get sod guys and he said "it's possible." I also floated a release of liability I could sign and do it myself and he said no, and our realtor said we can't close without the certificate of occupancy (the loan is dependent on it).

I do also partially blame my wife. When we gave notice to vacate our rental I told her to do it through the end of October and for some reason she did it 6 days after we were supposed to close. It's only a difference of 4 days, but right now that seems massive.

Each day I loathe my job more and more. I mentioned before even if we weren't retiring, I would quit this job because it's fucking terrible. Each delay of closing makes me die inside a little more.

We haven't cancelled anything yet because it's still possible we close Friday (just means I need to reschedule our fridge to next week and internet install). I'm 90% sure we don't make that at this point, but I'd rather not reschedule and then need to do it again when we get a new date settled.
Cough <lawyer> cough.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm just not sure what a lawyer does in this case. Our contract doesn't guarantee a particular date they have to close by. And from my research, nearly every new construction contract is like that.

There's not a lot to hold a builder to a schedule. You just kind of have to eat the shit sandwich.

Maybe my story should be a lesson to others about buying new construction.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm just not sure what a lawyer does in this case. Our contract doesn't guarantee a particular date they have to close by. And from my research, nearly every new construction contract is like that.

There's not a lot to hold a builder to a schedule. You just kind of have to eat the shit sandwich.

Maybe my story should be a lesson to others about buying new construction.
Or a lesson in dealing with people, which absolutely sucks these days. I moved halfway across the country ten years ago, and every single thing went smoothly. This time, it has been one thing after another. And it isn't just dealing with house things or moving things, either...it's damned near everything. Things that should be simple are absolutely beyond the scope of many people. Deliveries, filling orders, showing up on time, filling out paperwork correctly. The list is endless AND daily. Every single day, I have to chase someone down and have them redo something.

I was in the same boat in terms of housing. I made plans well in advance, and I was down to days of leaving and still not having a place to stay. People simply will not get off their asses and get to work anymore, or if they do, they half ass it.

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's funny, my wife the other day said that in a few months we wouldn't remember this. I was like, uh, no, I will definitely be pissed about this for years. When we bought our house in 2015, the title company fucked up and didn't courier our documents to the county office on time. It was a Friday. So we had to rent out our own house over the weekend (rental contract and all) and then close the following week. It's 6 years later and I'm obviously still annoyed.

Considering the magnitude of this one, I likely won't ever get over it.

I actually did something super out of character last Friday. I called AT&T to reschedule our internet installation and the guy on the phone was super nice and helpful. I actually asked to talk to his manager and spent time giving the guy kudos, because everything is so shit right now and having customer service worth a damn is incredibly rare.

Actually, I say it's out of character for me, but I did the same for the guy at Lowes who helped us with our fridge. We had dealt with someone else back in May with a washer and dryer and that guy sucked. So I figured I'd point out someone who actually did their fucking job.

Sadly, I now have to reschedule both of those. Again. Except I don't even know for when.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It's funny, my wife the other day said that in a few months we wouldn't remember this. I was like, uh, no, I will definitely be pissed about this for years. When we bought our house in 2015, the title company fucked up and didn't courier our documents to the county office on time. It was a Friday. So we had to rent out our own house over the weekend (rental contract and all) and then close the following week. It's 6 years later and I'm obviously still annoyed.

Considering the magnitude of this one, I likely won't ever get over it.

I actually did something super out of character last Friday. I called AT&T to reschedule our internet installation and the guy on the phone was super nice and helpful. I actually asked to talk to his manager and spent time giving the guy kudos, because everything is so shit right now and having customer service worth a damn is incredibly rare.

Actually, I say it's out of character for me, but I did the same for the guy at Lowes who helped us with our fridge. We had dealt with someone else back in May with a washer and dryer and that guy sucked. So I figured I'd point out someone who actually did their fucking job.

Sadly, I now have to reschedule both of those. Again. Except I don't even know for when.
Not trying to be an asshole but I'd take a deep breath, delays in new home construction are absolutely par for the course. I would never plan anything around a "projected" home completion time, it'll be done when its done. When our house was being built way back when, I ended up living on my mother in laws couch for a month because I tried to do the same as you and time the completion with lease expiration, etc. Doesn't work. You will drive yourself crazy.

And I'll tell you right now unless the contract has a hard completion date and the contract and price were specifically negotiated on that time being of the essence, you have no case.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Isn't that what I said? I write contracts for a living, I know getting a lawyer does nothing.

What I should've done is just ate a month worth of rent (give 30 days notice after closing). It'd cost $2k and that sucks, but it would've meant no stress.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Isn't that what I said? I write contracts for a living, I know getting a lawyer does nothing.

What I should've done is just ate a month worth of rent (give 30 days notice after closing). It'd cost $2k and that sucks, but it would've meant no stress.
Not saying you didn't say that (I recall your post saying there's no completion date in the contract), just giving my opinion here, not just for you, but the 12 people who told you to get a lawyer as well.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Drove out yesterday and there was a single, old white guy, grading the yard. I'm guessing he's higher up in either the construction company or the sod company. Just as I was leaving, got a call from the builder and my realtor saying that we were going to shoot for a closing on Monday. Unfortunately, our rate lock was good for 45 days, and that expires tomorrow. It's 0.125% of the sales price to extend it every 7 days. Not a huge deal as it's only about $300, but still annoying.

Got a picture this afternoon and they're finally laying sod. So I feel pretty confident we'll finally close. Our realtor said she's worked with them dozens of times over the years and they only ever missed a closing once. I don't know if that makes me feel better that we're the second one. They keep saying it's because of covid, but I'm sitting here like, covid is almost 2 years old and this is the first house to miss closing because of it in all that time? This shit story doesn't make any sense.

I've had to change our internet install 3 times, and they shut it off yesterday morning. I actually woke up at like 3am with a headache (from all the stress) and saw the modem blinking when I was walking back to bed. I knew as soon as I woke up I'd have to call them. I confirmed 3 times that they cancelled the install for tomorrow, but I have a feeling our internet will be shut off again tonight.

Oh well. Almost there. Got everything lined up next week. We begged our property manager to let us stay a couple extra days next week, so that got resolved. Won't be rescheduling anything else at this point because we basically have to be out.

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but our realtor is awesome. She offered to let us store all our shit in her garage (she has a massive house), and also if we needed, they have a rental property in Destin we can stay at if we get kicked out and still haven't closed.

Going to drive out tomorrow afternoon and hopefully see everything complete.

• 2Like