Home Improvement

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I really REALLY hope this is a bunk-bed, Dresser and their first car.
It's a loft bed, 3 drawer dresser and book shelf underneath along with extra storage space behind those (they move), a 5 or 6 drawer vertical dresser and a 9 drawer bureau

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My wife and I bought these 5 tier wire shelves from Target for $50 a pop on sale. Easy enough to put together. Your oldest could probably help a little even

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Need to buy my honda a new set of blades too. They're cheap enough that sharpening them isn't really worth it at this point.

Gonna be buying some shelves for downstairs. Can anyone recommend something that won't break the bank? The Huskys are like $200 for one rack
like wall shelving or wire rack shelving? cuz you can never go bad with amazonbasics! AmazonBasics 5-Shelf Shelving Storage Unit, Metal Organizer Wire Rack, Black

*edit oh wow it's only 3bucks more w/ wheels

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You can call me not a man, I'm just looking for some shelves and honestly I don't have time to make anything. I work until 6:30 and kids go to bed by 8. My weekends are maxed out. I just bought a shed and a bedroom set like a man.

Dude, no judgement. Your time is definitely worth a lot, and if you don't have it, and you're making the decision to spend the time with your family instead, then kudos to you. That's a good decision.

My knee jerk reaction is to always make things myself. But my kids are older than yours, and I don't work much. I've got time to burn.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dude, no judgement. Your time is definitely worth a lot, and if you don't have it, and you're making the decision to spend the time with your family instead, then kudos to you. That's a good decision.

My knee jerk reaction is to always make things myself. But my kids are older than yours, and I don't work much. I've got time to burn.
well it's also a cost issue, isn't it? a 5 shelf rack unit like the one i linked is just as much, if not cheaper than the cost of 5 shelves. (cheap mdf)

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
well it's also a cost issue, isn't it? a 5 shelf rack unit like the one i linked is just as much, if not cheaper than the cost of 5 shelves. (cheap mdf)

I seem to always be able to build stuff cheaper. Plus, when I build it, it's going to last. And I can put hundreds of pounds on it. So if I needed to store your mom somewhere, I could do it on the shelves I built, whereas the purchased shelves would be questionable.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
recommend checking fb yardsale, since stores and restaurants use them they are pretty common.

i bought one of these and it's done well, it's not heavy duty but i've had ~100 lbs on a shelf and i'd say that was max.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
any quick tips on exterior painting? when power washing my deck, the force of the water from the backsplash basically stripped some of the paint off the mouding on my door, when looking at it, i can basically peel off a footlong chunk of paint.

so yea, i don't know if i'm supposed to strip or rip or whatever, i just want to repaint it bland white trim, mind you staining the deck is actually the first bit of "painting" i've ever done... so thats what you're working with heh.

Oh but i actually have purdy paint brushes and rollers on hand, i knew i'd be painting eventually and bought em on sale.
welp, this video is saying i should get some wagner paint eater, since i don't want so many tools, i can just get the 3m disc for drills, then i guess just caulk, primer, sand and two coats of non flat exterior paint. (cuz flat will crack)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
recommend checking fb yardsale, since stores and restaurants use them they are pretty common.

i bought one of these and it's done well, it's not heavy duty but i've had ~100 lbs on a shelf and i'd say that was max.
Good call. I could've sworn I had seen them cheaper before but whatever. We need a lot of shelving in the basement so the idea of $200 a pop doesn't excite me

Here's what $3k for a bedroom set for the kid looks like. Honestly it should last him through his teenage years. The bed he will out grow but we'll have 3 kids going through it

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Can the ladder be moved to the other end without undoing screws or bolts on the rail? I mean, its close to the radiator. Even if it doesn't affect the ladder too much, your kid will go up and down it right next to that thing in the winter.

Also for shelving, keep in mind that anything wood-related (say you want a metal frame with wooden planks in it) I think can be pre-cut at Home Depot or Lowes if you bring them the wood and the measurements you want.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Also for shelving, keep in mind that anything wood-related (say you want a metal frame with wooden planks in it) I think can be pre-cut at Home Depot or Lowes if you bring them the wood and the measurements you want.

Yeah. Buy a sheet of 3/4" MDF, have them rip it into 3 16" pieces, buy some brackets, screw them to the wall and the MDF. You have shelves.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah. Buy a sheet of 3/4" MDF, have them rip it into 3 16" pieces, buy some brackets, screw them to the wall and the MDF. You have shelves.
They even sell laminated mdf/shelf boards; go to amazon and buy a roll of 3/4" laminate with adhesive backing (apply with an iron) to laminate the exposed/cut edges.

iannis

Musty Nester
welp, this video is saying i should get some wagner paint eater, since i don't want so many tools, i can just get the 3m disc for drills, then i guess just caulk, primer, sand and two coats of non flat exterior paint. (cuz flat will crack)

I mean that's super fancy.

I hit it with sandpaper, caulk if it needs it, maybe sand the caulk flat maybe not because white trash life, and then use a brush when I do outdoor trim.

Two coats is always a good idea.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
No we'd have to undo it. Prefer it on that side but we will see

From what I gather you just don't want the ladder on the headboard, not sure why a company would design it with the ladder at the head.

When a person rolls they roll upper body. While rare, it is possible that a kid could roll off the bead with the ladder at the head.

I know my kid would 100% roll off a head based ladder bunk since I've walked in a couple times and seen him, legs still on the bed, head on the floor, asleep.

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
just teach him that the tall part is a footboard and have him sleep backwards.

Good parenting, imo. He'll be wrong his entire life and only realize it when he gets married and his wife tells him that the tall part is the HEAD board.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
From what I gather you just don't want the ladder on the headboard, not sure why a company would design it with the ladder at the head.

When a person rolls they roll upper body. While rare, it is possible that a kid could roll off the bead with the ladder at the head.

I know my kid would 100% roll off a head based ladder bunk since I've walked in a couple times and seen him, legs still on the bed, head on the floor, asleep.
It's adjustable , we'd just have to redo it. Just a ladder midroom sucks

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user