Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
lulz
OjxS5gl.jpg

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Never opened a man hole (SORRY PERSON HOLE TO THOSE IN CA) have you eh? lol those are fun! At least in Florida.
I've been in a lot of vaults, pump stations, treatment plants, etc. And now that I think about it, not sure I've ever seen a roach.

But I'm also not in fucking Florida, either.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd never seen a roach until I parked in an underground garage in Boston. Giant fat ones (the kind in scary movies) were raining from the ceiling and scurrying all over the floor when we went to leave. Never been so panicked..

Siliconemelons

The brown flat shiny ones are German, and they don't die - tear the building down to get rid of them.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
And salt the earth, otherwise in five years you'll come back and find the giant roaches have organized all the local bugs to gather food for them and they're even arguing for including birds too.

• 1Worf

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
what to do? i rarely goto my basement and i noticed a "wet spot". (i don't wear slippers in house) basement is 90% carpeted, non carpeted areas are dry, i went around the whole floor with paper towels and it's only wet at my kitchen basement counter. so yes i turned off the water there, even tho the sink cab is dry, but the wetness was around the it (i would say 2-3 cups worth). every where else is dry the walls the ceiling, no bubbles or wetspots, where the carpet meats the kitchen cab i can pull away the carpet and foam pad, and theres no trickling or anything.

My sump pump and well work fine and is on the opposite side of the basement, i will say the kitchen is directly below an egress, it's dry but this might be my problem area?

so far i just took my box fan and turned it on

any other thoughts?

(previous owner pics)
IS2764pbkuuq2r0000000000.jpg

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not 100% Home Improvement but...

Dryer isn’t drying, took it apart tested element, fuse, cutoff, thermistor, cleaned everything out. Only thing I wasn’t able to check right now was the voltage and relay, but still nothing.

No error code on it, just puts out no heat. Really wasn’t looking forward to calling out service.

About a 6 year old Samsung.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I got the cheapest dryer (gas) and kept it going for 18 years with multiple repairs. They're a pain in the ass to repair. I'm a cheap bastard.

Anyway, about your basement Lanx Lanx - keep the water turned off. If it dries and there is no more wetness, your problem is outside the wall. Should be easy to fix.

Or someone in your house dropped a cup of water. Or peed.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I got the cheapest dryer (gas) and kept it going for 18 years with multiple repairs. They're a pain in the ass to repair. I'm a cheap bastard.

Anyway, about your basement Lanx Lanx - keep the water turned off. If it dries and there is no more wetness, your problem is outside the wall. Should be easy to fix.

Or someone in your house dropped a cup of water. Or peed.
yea it's been dry a few days, just had a massive tstorm (turned off fan) and kept checking the carpet, still dry.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

When I was growing up parents boilt a house and were the first in the suddivision. Neighbor built a house and you couldn' tuse the stairs to the top floor if you were over 5' tall. They had two kids. One my age and one 7 years older. I know after the kids finally moved out they never went upstairs. Just closed it off all the time and never went up the stairs.

Dad used to say when they were building the house they would get the driveway ready for concrete pour and then it would rain. So they would use a tractor and run over the driveway area again with the blade. Rinse and repeat several times. He said he was pretty sure the driveway was a foot deep lol.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm only 6' 2" and it amazes me how many old houses have doors and stairways that I can't go through without banging my head. Were people really shorter 75 years ago?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm only 6' 2" and it amazes me how many old houses have doors and stairways that I can't go through without banging my head. Were people really shorter 75 years ago?
I think they were, but not by a huge amount. A few inches, maybe?

1566034752852.png

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have experience with woodworking and refinishing? Thinking of either redoing my garage completely or trying to refinish this wood on it. I like the vintage look it's got going with it now but it's a bit rickety. Was thinking a dark mahogany would look nice.

Screenshot_20190817-190715_Instagram-01.jpeg

• 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I was wondering when old Foler would start to show.
Wow. Just wanted to opinions and advice on wood refinishing. Just because some of us have more means than others doesn't make us bad people. Stop being jealous. It's a bad look on you.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Does anyone have experience with woodworking and refinishing? Thinking of either redoing my garage completely or trying to refinish this wood on it. I like the vintage look it's got going with it now but it's a bit rickety. Was thinking a dark mahogany would look nice.

View attachment 219543

I went with white oak because its easy to stain and saves a few bucks. You can really make it look great if you let it sit outside after shipping it across the Atlantic. I was planning on redoing the garage doors with a pure printer ink infused Icelandic Narwhal ivory but my connection fell through. Maybe next year =/

20190817_225538.png