Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Those types of decisions are for plebs, what you do is hire someone that takes care of all those stupid worthless decisions for you. Just say "I WANT DARK MAHOGANY" and like magic it just happens.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
The real power move is to not even indicate what you want and just berate them when what they do is not it.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I went with white oak because its easy to stain and saves a few bucks. You can really make it look great if you let it sit outside after shipping it across the Atlantic. I was planning on redoing the garage doors with a pure printer ink infused Icelandic Narwhal ivory but my connection fell through. Maybe next year =/

View attachment 219549
Love it bro. That wood is on point.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm only 6' 2" and it amazes me how many old houses have doors and stairways that I can't go through without banging my head. Were people really shorter 75 years ago?
Yeah I'm 6'3" and when we were house shopping it was remarkable how many basements were non functioning for me or bathrooms with slanted ceilings that would give me a head injury. Showers were the worst. What fuckin moron is installing them at 5 feet in height

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah I'm 6'3" and when we were house shopping it was remarkable how many basements were non functioning for me or bathrooms with slanted ceilings that would give me a head injury. Showers were the worst. What fuckin moron is installing them at 5 feet in height

Low showers are so fucking stupid. Who ever said "damn, that shower head is too high?" Put it up high, stupid dummy dumbs.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Low showers are so fucking stupid. Who ever said "damn, that shower head is too high?" Put it up high, stupid dummy dumbs.

Yeah, the house I'm moving into has shower inserts with a top on them at like 6' 5" high which puts the showerhead at about 5' 5". So stupid. I'm not going to rip them out right away but sooner or later they are going to have to go.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
gonna try to find time this week or so for the backsplash (these are prev pics)
ff4df350318d89fa38d5b60b1c94fcd2.png

the backsplash ends right at the switch (the door)

does anyone see any faux pas if i extend the backsplash all the way up to the moulding at the door? or does it have to line up w/ the countertop?
20190819_182604.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
It'll look odd if you take it out those few inches. It'll be a stripe.

It'll trigger your ocd, I bet. Mock it up with some red paper.

Better the one stripe of painted wall than 3 little stripes of wall, splash, wall, is my thought.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
It'll look odd if you take it out those few inches. It'll be a stripe.

It'll trigger your ocd, I bet. Mock it up with some red paper.

Better the one stripe of painted wall than 3 little stripes of wall, splash, wall, is my thought.
i plan to start at the corner where that square cookie jar is and work out, sounds like a plan?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
gonna try to find time this week or so for the backsplash (these are prev pics)
ff4df350318d89fa38d5b60b1c94fcd2.png

the backsplash ends right at the switch (the door)

does anyone see any faux pas if i extend the backsplash all the way up to the moulding at the door? or does it have to line up w/ the countertop?View attachment 219721

What does that switch do? You could do it yourself but that wouldnt work for me. If youre going to fuck shit up, move that silly ass switch.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
What does that switch do? You could do it yourself but that wouldnt work for me. If youre going to fuck shit up, move that silly ass switch.
it's a two way light switch for the main kitchen lights, that door is the garage door, so i'm sure thats the first and last switch to click when entering/leaving.

i mean i could move it like a few inches over, i'm sure i could handle that, and i'm pretty sure it's in that location cuz thats where the stud is as well.

it is a minor annoyance come to think of it, cuz the plate is kinda "floppy" since it's not entirely on properly.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
it's a two way light switch for the main kitchen lights, that door is the garage door, so i'm sure thats the first and last switch to click when entering/leaving.

i mean i could move it like a few inches over, i'm sure i could handle that, and i'm pretty sure it's in that location cuz thats where the stud is as well.

it is a minor annoyance come to think of it, cuz the plate is kinda "floppy" since it's not entirely on properly.

20190819_195537.png

What is here behind this lampshade? Is this a wall with other switches? Even if you moved that corner switch to the door side wall within the kitchen, it still wouldnt be a great spot due to the step.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
View attachment 219726

What is here behind this lampshade? Is this a wall with other switches? Even if you moved that corner switch to the door side wall within the kitchen, it still wouldnt be a great spot due to the step.
yea, thats the wall w/ the main cluster of switches (kitchen/dining/living/fan) lights
8b05813722bf5ca5ed571ee799cf109a.png

they made this hole in the wall, i guess for aestetics, theres another wall just like that to the right of it, and then a door to the pantry.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'd extend the backsplash to the door trim, and then do it down to the floor. It'll look finished that way.

• 1Solidarity

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I use a schluter edge to cut it off instead of running slivers, you have a similar deal around your sink window.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone have experience with woodworking and refinishing? Thinking of either redoing my garage completely or trying to refinish this wood on it. I like the vintage look it's got going with it now but it's a bit rickety. Was thinking a dark mahogany would look nice.

View attachment 219543
Hard to tell from this angle. Can you move the cars and take a pic from straight on?

• 2Worf

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Okay less home improvement and more WTF am I looking at:

Walked out to the garage today and saw a pool on the floor, it rained last night but, from what I could see, nothing came in from the ceiling.

1566780142709.png

1566780169483.png

Poked the ceiling and nothing, dry as a bone and hard. About to head into the attic to find the location above to see if it's a leak.

For reference, water WASN'T there yesterday when I was working in the garage. It is there now, after a rain. but the water is scummy and dirty like it's been there weeks.